LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aquarian Hi-Energy heads  (Read 563 times)

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

Aquarian Hi-Energy heads
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:46:16 PM »
Can anybody tell me. . .what are the strengths and weaknesses of the Aquarian Hi-energy head. Does it take out some of the high overtones? Does it muffle the drum a lot? Is it best used on a metal snare? Maple snare? Does it deaden the snare too much like an Evans Genera Dry (just horrible)!!!!!! Has anyone used it before? ??? ???

Here's the deal. . .I have a cheap 13x5 maple snare that has too much ring to it. Right now I have an Aquarian coated Studio X on it. Usually that does it for me. But this wild mustang will just NOT BE TAMED??????? I feel like I've married a jungle woman!!! :-\

If you have any suggestions about other heads, let a brotha know sumthin, MAANNN!!!!!!!
Help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Re: Aquarian Hi-Energy heads
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 03:11:16 PM »
Dude,

I'd be careful mentioning Aquarian around here. Last time I did... man,  it wasn't good.

I'm not sure about hi-energy heads but like you I stick with studio x's. Oh & I also rock performance IIs on batter for toms.
Hope this, kinda, helps.

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 10:49:16 PM »
Try some moongel or something like that. At least that way you can adjust how much ring you get from the snare. Oh yeah, ain't nothing wrong with Aquarians. You just gotta know which ones to get and how to tune 'em.
Love God. Live Long.

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:28:15 AM »
i have used it and know some who use it
i works well tuned high
it sounds REALLY good on a good metal snare
i don't mind it
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 12:11:21 PM »
i have used it and know some who use it
i works well tuned high
it sounds REALLY good on a good metal snare
i don't mind it

Yeah, I recently was shedding with a guy who was playing on an Ayotte steel shell snare. He had a High Energy head on there, and it sounded fantastic. But I didn't really have a chance to see how much of that sound was because of the snare, and how much the head contributed to it. Does the head tame your snare? Does it dry up the sound? Tighten it up? Choke it? Can you give me a description of what your snare sounds like with it on compared to another head? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 12:55:50 PM »
on wood it dries it up some by dry i mean shortens the sound some but it doesn't really cause you to loose volume it gives you a good WHAP type of sound on wood
on metal it is just peircing gives it good high end and some great crack. like on wood it shortens up the sound some but is still loud.

unwanted overtones are silenced and you still get good volume

now i wouldn't use brushes on it, and it is not as sensitive as a lot of other heads (like for ghost not/ jazzy type licks) but that is not what it is for
i say try it
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be
Pages: [1]   Go Up