LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a question!  (Read 3041 times)

ES7Mike

I have a question!
« on: March 11, 2006, 09:32:24 PM »
To my trumpet players, I started playing trumpet two decembers ago. I am already a saxophone player. I think that the mouthpiece that I have is too small. how do determine what size mouthpiece I need? 

Bro_JT

Re: I have a question!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 09:45:53 PM »
What is the size? If you don't know how to tell, It is a number and a letter right next to each other right around the top of the mouthpeice. Most trumpet players start of with a size C7 or 7C(I still do from time to time) .Also be sure that your lips are in the correct position.   

Hope This Helps  :)

ES7Mike

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 09:48:38 PM »
Its a 7C but I think its too small. is there some way to measure your lips to see what size you need?

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 11:05:01 PM »
lol, just go and test out a whole bunch. You'll gravitate towards one size or a range of sizes that produce the soiund you're looking for. I usually go to Chuck Levins in Wheaton Md, and they take me upsatirs to the hornb room, with all the horns, and I can try all the mouthpieces I want. Just bring in swabs and Alcohol, and a little soap and go to work.

Also, the US ARMY Band or somebody usually sponsors a Saxophone Symposium in all major cities once a year. Mine Is on George Mason Univ's campus in early Jan every year. You can meet awesome sax paayers, clinicians, Jamey Abersold, the whole crew, but most importantly, you can see all the vendors.  The event is usually held in a place where you can play all the saxophones/mputhpieces right there in the open ALL DAY LONG. It's saxophone heaven! Plus there's giveaways, and the very first year I went to one. Rico unloaded tons of brand new reeds on me, which was just cool.

CSE2

Offline ABOVEALL

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 01:14:51 AM »
There is no 1 mouthpiece for you.  You have different mouthpieces for different tones and musical stylings.  You have to adjust and train your mouth.  Eventually you will find one that you like more than others.

ES7Mike

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »
Thanks alot you all for helping me, I appriciate it ;D

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »
There is no 1 mouthpiece for you.  You have different mouthpieces for different tones and musical stylings.  You have to adjust and train your mouth.  Eventually you will find one that you like more than others.

wow ... I never knew that
Pages: [1]   Go Up