LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bass guitar flat tuning  (Read 2199 times)

Offline trsmooth

• LGM Member

bass guitar flat tuning
« on: December 19, 2005, 11:43:56 PM »
hello all young and old aspiring bass players alike. as many of you hear already in gospel music and recordings today, there are alot of bass players out there gettin even more low down on their fives and sixes and and flat tuning.  on hezekiah walkers new song " lift him up", reggie youngs has his bass flat tuned to a low b flat. personally i love luv flat tuning cause sumtimes standard tuning gets boring. can anyone out there give me sum feedback on how they feel about the subject?                                                                 god bless all.

Offline BtCustom

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

i tune down
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 03:27:39 AM »
Tuning down is kindof common. I tune down a Whole step 2 ADGCF and I us it preatty often. Andrew Gouche tunes down a wholestep 2 and there acouple other gospel bass players to but I cant remember. I originally did it with my 4string to get the Eb but ive come accustome to the tunning. I can play it tuned regular but the Bb and A shake my soul.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

bass guitar flat tuning
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:03:38 PM »
Guitar is my main instrument and I tune down to Eb.  I have a 5-string bass and have been considering tuning at least a half-step doown.  But what about the string tention on the low B?  I currently use a 0.135 B.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Thump

• LGM Member

Re: bass guitar flat tuning
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
http:// :-X I have played with standard tuning for years, but once I tuned a whole step to ADGCF playing gospel music became much eaiser and my playing style is quicker with the decreased tension. Plus the positioning is lower.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
i've tuned down as well.  I got it from Maurice Fitzgerald.  I always wondered how he achieved the low Bb when he played "Clap your hands" with John P. Kee.  I didn't figure it out until I saw the Fred Hammond DVD.  Once I get me another bass. I'll probably tune one regular and the other one down. 
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 03:16:45 PM »
i've tuned down as well.  I got it from Maurice Fitzgerald.  I always wondered how he achieved the low Bb when he played "Clap your hands" with John P. Kee.  I didn't figure it out until I saw the Fred Hammond DVD.  Once I get me another bass. I'll probably tune one regular and the other one down. 

What Fred Hammond DVD is that?  Is it a Live Concert Performance? or Instructional?

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 06:18:12 PM »
the he did live in Chicago.  "Speak those things: POL Chapter 3."  The only reason why I figured it out was when I was trying to play along with the DVD, I noticed that Maurice's position on the fret board was different so I changed it.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up