LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update on the 7x13  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Simnel19

• LGM Member
    • http://

Update on the 7x13
« on: March 14, 2006, 12:03:36 AM »
Okay, I tuned my new snare and I like it (I absolutely love the condensed pop it gives), but there is still something I'm just not feeling. ???  It haven't change the wack stock head (which may be what I'm not liking about it), but I'm going to next time I go to the music store. 

SabianK, I'm going to try that Evans Genera that you suggested.  Should I change the bottom head as well?  Also, out of curiosity, what will happen if I significantly tighten the bottom head of the snare?

Thanks and God bless
Sim

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: Update on the 7x13
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 12:32:40 AM »
Okay, I tuned my new snare and I like it (I absolutely love the condensed pop it gives), but there is still something I'm just not feeling. ???  It haven't change the wack stock head (which may be what I'm not liking about it), but I'm going to next time I go to the music store. 

SabianK, I'm going to try that Evans Genera that you suggested.  Should I change the bottom head as well?  Also, out of curiosity, what will happen if I significantly tighten the bottom head of the snare?

Thanks and God bless
Sim

Note: I always seat the stock heads on a new drum because they don't really do a good job of that at the factory most times if they do it at all. Most times they don't do it at all and the guys at the store generally don't know enough to do it. They just ccrank the head up.

I have found that I get a better sound if both the top and bottom are EVANS or what ever brand the batter head is. For a Fact EVANS and REMO are made from two different formulas and the EVANS yeild s a warmer sound so they will always fight soundwise. An EVANS Hazy 300 should work fine on the snare side. If you really want to get sensitive then a Hazy 200 would be the ticket. You get really nice buzz rolls and brush work from that head.

As far as cranking the bottom 6-7 turns past finger tight will be plenty you might go 8 turns on the lugs on either side of the snare beds. Any tension further than that will often choke the sound out.

Remember that the tighter the bottom head the looser the snare wires should be so that they vibrate. Even if you want pop you need some snare vibration because to thge audience it will sound like crap. Overall the size of the drum should not cause for too tight a tension. Go barely tight on top and tight on the bottom and that should do it. The Genera head is going to give you a fat rim shot that is going to sound meaty so don't be surprised when you get a nice high conga slap/timbale sound.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »
If I could, I would like to add one thing...I would really recommend the Evans Glass 500 on the snare side. I just put that on my 14x6.5 Mahogany. It made such a HUGE difference from the hazy 300. The Glass 500 is made for deep drums. Deeper drums typically have more resonance which is at times hard to control on the snare side. The Glass 500 brings another level of control that is just  :o :o :o :o
Since my Mahogany snare has natural overtones and has a bit of a ring, the Genera Dry, not the HD dry, the one ply Genera dry has worked the best. I have cycled through most of the heads and I like how that one treats me.

God Bless.

Offline Ibilddrums

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:53:30 AM »
If I could, I would like to add one thing...I would really recommend the Evans Glass 500 on the snare side. I just put that on my 14x6.5 Mahogany. It made such a HUGE difference from the hazy 300. The Glass 500 is made for deep drums. Deeper drums typically have more resonance which is at times hard to control on the snare side. The Glass 500 brings another level of control that is just  :o :o :o :o
Since my Mahogany snare has natural overtones and has a bit of a ring, the Genera Dry, not the HD dry, the one ply Genera dry has worked the best. I have cycled through most of the heads and I like how that one treats me.

God Bless.

I was gonna make the same suggestion. However, go in to guitar center and ask the guy for the Glass 500 and watch him look at you like you're crazy!!!lol
It's not something that they typically carry in stock so you might have to look around. At least that's how it goes here in southern califronia guitar centers

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »

God Bless.

I am glad you like the combo. That will be $5 service charge  :D.... Seriously. Where's my money... don't make me send Moe and BBD
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:00:09 AM »
I was gonna make the same suggestion. However, go in to guitar center and ask the guy for the Glass 500 and watch him look at you like you're crazy!!!lol
It's not something that they typically carry in stock so you might have to look around. At least that's how it goes here in southern califronia guitar centers

If you ask for a Hazy 200 they go huh. They barely had the Genera that I bought.

To be honest with you GC and Sam Ash cater to the dumb drummer (Don't even think about yellin' EVEN IF YOU GOT HIT by that one). They carry supplies for the lowest common denominator. For guys whom know what they want and know what they are talking about they can be a nightmare.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 11:02:49 AM »
I am glad you like the combo. That will be $5 service charge  :D.... Seriously. Where's my money... don't make me send Moe and BBD

BBD and Moe are my Brothers...they wouldnt touch me! haha. Do you accept Paypal? PM me your addy I will send payment right away! ;D ;D ;D but It was only half a combo! I like the Genera Dry better. The vents work wonders on this Mahogany. I really wish I could record it and let everyone hear it. With the hazy 300, I had the batter at 6 turns past finger tight and the snare side at 9 turns past. By adding the Glass 500, The batter and the snare side both are at 4 turns past finger tight! It makes a huge difference. Anyone with a deep drum should try that head! its worth it.

Hey Ibild, you are so right...I went into Guitar Center and asked them for the Glass 500....I got a look like I was stupid so I walked outta there for the last time, once again. Absolutely ridiculous.

God Bless.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 11:11:59 AM »
BBD and Moe are my Brothers...they wouldnt touch me! haha. Do you accept Paypal? PM me your addy I will send payment right away! ;D ;D ;D but It was only half a combo! I like the Genera Dry better. The vents work wonders on this Mahogany. I really wish I could record it and let everyone hear it. With the hazy 300, I had the batter at 6 turns past finger tight and the snare side at 9 turns past. By adding the Glass 500, The batter and the snare side both are at 4 turns past finger tight! It makes a huge difference. Anyone with a deep drum should try that head! its worth it.

Hey Ibild, you are so right...I went into Guitar Center and asked them for the Glass 500....I got a look like I was stupid so I walked outta there for the last time, once again. Absolutely ridiculous.

God Bless.

Tuning down with the Genera Billy ward style should work fine. Have you heard it from a distance yet. The dry will give you a false read up close. Dry heads become a crutch more times than not. We have to remember that a shells nuances are what make it what it is.

When I started using the Genera I found myself tuning down a bit.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 11:15:10 AM »
Tuning down with the Genera Billy ward style should work fine. Have you heard it from a distance yet. The dry will give you a false read up close. Dry heads become a crutch more times than not. We have to remember that a shells nuances are what make it what it is.

When I started using the Genera I found myself tuning down a bit.

You know what, I just noticed by looking at my Player Points...that idiot at Guitar Center Gave me a Genera G1 instead of a Genera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH.

If murder was legal.

So Sabe, sorry, but I cant say I like the Genera Dry better than the Genera, because I havent tried the Genera. It was a G1. I think the overtone ring is necessary, the G1 seemed really bright on my snare. I will apologize and give Genera a legitimate shot.

God Bless.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 11:19:34 AM »
You know what, I just noticed by looking at my Player Points...that idiot at Guitar Center Gave me a Genera G1 instead of a Genera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH.

If murder was legal.

So Sabe, sorry, but I cant say I like the Genera Dry better than the Genera, because I havent tried the Genera. It was a G1. I think the overtone ring is necessary, the G1 seemed really bright on my snare. I will apologize and give Genera a legitimate shot.

God Bless.

Guitar Center Strikes AGAIN !!!! They almost got me like that.

Yes the Overtone ring is necessary. It is also why you want have to tune as high because it offers extra resistance.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 11:21:55 AM »
Guitar Center Strikes AGAIN !!!! They almost got me like that.

Yes the Overtone ring is necessary. It is also why you want have to tune as high because it offers extra resistance.

Good. glad we feel the same. Probably next week or 2 I will be buying the Genera.

Offline Ibilddrums

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »
Yeah I like the Genera Dry and the Genera HD DRY. They sound great!!!!

Offline C.J

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 01:28:27 PM »
my favorite snare of all sizes etc. is the pearl maple series. i dont know tha size. thats a shame when i already own this snare o well
Stl in tha buildin

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 02:31:29 PM »
my favorite snare of all sizes etc. is the pearl maple series. i dont know tha size. thats a shame when i already own this snare o well

Just wondering, CJ. . . how do you change the head if you don't know what size the snare is? I'm not being funny, I just thought that was a little odd. . . ???
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 02:45:14 PM »
Just wondering, CJ. . . how do you change the head if you don't know what size the snare is? I'm not being funny, I just thought that was a little odd. . . ???

Good Point.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 06:54:27 PM »

12"x7" so now that you know turn it over to the knowledge police. You are cited for posing and operating a rhythmic musical percussion instrument without a permit.  :o

NOw don' ttry and highjack a thread when your game ain't tight.... *** Jaws music plays in the background ***

Offline C.J

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »
why yall tryna put me on blast??!!!! im finna go get the size right now arghh(slams the door)....
Stl in tha buildin

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 03:22:28 PM »
why yall tryna put me on blast??!!!! im finna go get the size right now arghh(slams the door)....

We are family better us than some outsider.

Offline C.J

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
13x7 arghh!!!!!!!!(runs up the stairs and trips) ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!(gets p and slams the door)
Stl in tha buildin

Offline Seven

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 03:40:26 PM »
13x7 arghh!!!!!!!!(runs up the stairs and trips) ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!(gets p and slams the door)

Wow!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up