LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: American Idol + alternative music competions, should Christians compete ?  (Read 3275 times)

Offline ro

• LGM Member
  • Where my Canadians at ?

I placed this post in general forum « on: Today at 01:20:12 PM »   and realized there is a vocalist link...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Everyone,
First time to this discussion board, but not first to the site. I have been struggling with an opportunity that I have and I am considering. I am a songwriter, vocalist and musician, however my primary love is to sing and write. I belong to an Apostolic church here in Canada and I am thinking about trying out for Canadian Idol (the American knock-off up here ...lol)
At first i was a bit timid, as even the name "idol" is a bit shaky, i've chatted with few people and everyone has a mixed opinion.
My reason for going is for publicity, it would take years to get your name known ,however a good appearance on TV and there is the likelyhood of going national/international. The bible says to go out into all the world and I'm a strong believer of using resources etc.
However I heard a speaker mention "not to prostitute your gift" by using it outside of the church.
In my heart I don't agree that my voice was only for the 4 walls of a sanctuary but for others to hear my music etc.
This is the last year I have a chance to go as the cut off age is 28. What do y'all think ? Holla at a brotha...
I might add that I am a P&W leader, very active in church etc... I just dont want to set a bad example for others as well.
I think the problem most view it is that you go on that show and its all about YOu, your voice, the fans, singing secular music etc.
But I have both the Ruben Studdard and George Huff cd's who have now crossed over to gospel...I don't want my dream to die...
'Where words fail, music speaks'

Offline dryda

• LGM Member

Its really neat how you have explained your situation because I likewise come from a very close background of your own.  I am a PK (Preacher Kid) from a Apostolic church, I myself served several positions at 2 local churches, and Minister of Music for 3 churches and now on my fourth and loving every minute of it. 
Your right everyone has a different opinion.  Here in Tulsa I held a concert for victims of Hurricane Katrina. I planned this concert in 3 weeks and with long hours and little sleep I somehow managed to make it through the radio interviews, tv interviews and when the event was here we had raised over $4,500 that was donated to the American Red Cross. 
Many people did not believe I should do this concert because it would be going outside of the 'church' beliefs. However it reached people that never heard about God. So I guess to make a long story short you never know who you will reach, always go for your goals and as long as you keep God #1 and keep on giving him the glory, I see nothing wrong with striving for success.
After such great response to the concerts I am about to start a concert series called 'Church Appreciation' where we will begin to show churches (no matter the denomination or belief) how much we appreciate them making a difference in our community. 
As I said I am using the gifts God gave me  to reach and love people and I believe thats what you are doing as well... So GO FOR IT!

Blessings,
D

Offline Grammi

• LGM Member

Big ups to ManDiva!!!!

I just want to praise Him!!!

Offline Natasha-praze

• LGM Member

Hello,

I just dropped in and notice the conversation. I am a P.K myself and I give mad props to "mandiva' call her. I too see nothing wrong with success however I too have been pushed to compete on American Idol. I didn't do it because the fact are if  i won the competition when sign to the contract they are really not going to be looking for a gospel singer they are looking for someone who can sing pop/r&b. The truth is you will not sale as much as you would if you just singed to a gospel recording label. Don't shoot for the fame of America is what I am saying

I am now recording my album because I didn't take the short cut. I trusted in God and expressed my desires to worship him. He will bless you in due time. I am signed to a Gospel recording label and I have been blessed. I've travel around the U.S I love it. I didn't have to go to American Idol to do that.

Trust God!!! That's all!!  I do love the fact that my girl represented though. (American Idol)

Offline Slow_Sing

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/SLOWSING

I don't agree. Sorry. I sing to God......
I'll worship you Lord.

Offline Natasha-praze

• LGM Member

hey brotha,

the only thing i will as you is.... What do you have to compromise to get that publicity? Are you going to be able to sing Gospel music throughout the who Idol show?

If you can answer this questions and be real with your self, go ahead and do what you have to do. the bible says, be not conformed to this world but be ye transform by the renewing of your mind.. And that is with everything you do.

Your right your voice don't only have to be used in 4 walls however there are alot of places that you can sing at with compromising. You get me!! Be sold out for Chirst. Be real with yourself....

Be Blessed.

Offline adzidzor

• LGM Member

I am now recording my album because I didn't take the short cut. I trusted in God and expressed my desires to worship him. He will bless you in due time. I am signed to a Gospel recording label and I have been blessed.

[/quote]

Fill us in when your album comes out !

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Yo I think it would be a good opportunity to go on the show.  People tend to get tight and act like only signing to a Gospel album is the only way God will be honored and glorified in your singing.  Please don't act like the Gospel music industry is 100% correct and everythign else is wrong.  TRUST ME, THE GOSPEL INDUSTRY HAS ITS SHORTCOMINGS and is by no way near perfect.  Don't also forget what Luke 16:9 tells us about gaining relationship with the unrighteous, so when they do fall, they will see you standing for righteous and that will be your opportunity to witness (sorry, that's the summarized version).

For those who say that they only sing to God, that's cool too and you can still be part of an alternative music competition.  If you think it's such a big deal to only sing for God, make sure you're only working in the church (working for God), and when you need a mortgage, only asking Christians to help you loan it, and etc....

I'm not trying to come down on anybody, but let's realize that Matthew 28:18 is our Christian mission statement.  Go ye therefore in the world, not in the confines of our "Christian" society
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline ryonn

• LGM Member

Whatever your decision, thats your responsibility.
What I want to know is..

Have you seek God's will for your life?
Is it really for Canada Idol? (or something else.. Doll Idol maybe.. whatever the name XP)
or
even singing for homeless people around your country? (if any.. I hope not)

If God wants you to enter that contest.. go on! I'll be cheering up for you.
God bless you!!

Offline Natasha-praze

• LGM Member

In response to "vtguy84" everyone has their  short comings and I don't think anyone should blame it on a gospel label but you can find out where you stand. Are you sold out for Christ or not.

Everyone has their own opinion and the truth is Trusting God is the best way. Like I told someone else..... no you don't have to sing to just 4 walls, but should make sure that God approves everything that you do in life. The truth is when we do things ourselves things never work out. When we let God handle  business I'm telling you their is no stress.,

What every you do just have faith and pray because man will have you screwed. When God tell you to move I don't care what anyone say you do it!!!

I will fill everyone in on my albumn

Offline mrs-mojo

• LGM Member
  • Monique Sanders

Hello,

I just dropped in and notice the conversation. I am a P.K myself and I give mad props to "mandiva' call her. I too see nothing wrong with success however I too have been pushed to compete on American Idol. I didn't do it because the fact are if  i won the competition when sign to the contract they are really not going to be looking for a gospel singer they are looking for someone who can sing pop/r&b. The truth is you will not sale as much as you would if you just singed to a gospel recording label. Don't shoot for the fame of America is what I am saying

I am now recording my album because I didn't take the short cut. I trusted in God and expressed my desires to worship him. He will bless you in due time. I am signed to a Gospel recording label and I have been blessed. I've travel around the U.S I love it. I didn't have to go to American Idol to do that.

Trust God!!! That's all!!  I do love the fact that my girl represented though. (American Idol)

I am also a PK, and dont see anything wrong with it. this could be a positive experience for u. I tried out for American Idol, and dont regret that i did. I say if this is something that u really want to do, then go right ahead. who knows, this could be what u need to make it into the main stream.
singing to tracks is whack............a live band is the best way to go

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

i personally have a problem when someone says that you can not do something bcuz the its not a church ordained event but realistically how many of us work for a company that can care less about God or any religion? i would bet most of us do so why can you work for GM, Phone Co. or an Ins. Co. but can not perform music that can help you get where u want? lets not confuse work with worship i say compete and give God the Glory.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

i personally have a problem when someone says that you can not do something bcuz the its not a church ordained event but realistically how many of us work for a company that can care less about God or any religion? i would bet most of us do so why can you work for GM, Phone Co. or an Ins. Co. but can not perform music that can help you get where u want? lets not confuse work with worship i say compete and give God the Glory.

You could say that again!
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline Natasha-praze

• LGM Member

i think some people have me wrong. It's not that I don't think he should do the Idol thing I just think he should have more reasons then just getting his name out there.

Offline legho

• LGM Member
  • my model...she rocks!

hello mandiva, well the american idol is a very big dream most singers,but i dont think u should bcos as a christian,our gifts are meant to bring him glory,but at the same time we are supposed to use our gifts to bring people from the kingdom of darkness into light.but american idol would prefer u always sing worldy music,which shuldnt be.i think i prefer project fame's idea to that of american idol,cause no matter the song u sing,it;s the voice they really need,and how well one takes the keys of the song.hope u choose rightly.i advice u to keep it kul,till GOD sets u up, so u dont come crumbling down right in the middle.
GOD RULES

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

hello mandiva, well the american idol is a very big dream most singers,but i dont think u should bcos as a christian,our gifts are meant to bring him glory,but at the same time we are supposed to use our gifts to bring people from the kingdom of darkness into light.but american idol would prefer u always sing worldy music,which shuldnt be.i think i prefer project fame's idea to that of american idol,cause no matter the song u sing,it;s the voice they really need,and how well one takes the keys of the song.hope u choose rightly.i advice u to keep it kul,till GOD sets u up, so u dont come crumbling down right in the middle.

First off, welcome to LGM...I'm guessing this response is coming from novice experience.  First off, singing a Gospel song is not the only way you can uplift God's Name and give Him some glory.   It is definitely the heart behind the song that really matters.  If this was the case, then we need to be going to our jobs and demanding that we have a Bible study....you can still show the presence of the Lord without having a Bible Study at your job, prayer in schools, etc.....  I'll keep saying this until people get it.....MUSIC IS NOT SPIRITUAL.  It does have the opportunity to minister, but the music (chords, etc) doesn't make it spiritual.  A person with no heart behind what they're singing is just like getting a person to come in and sing a Gospel song.....just because they sing it does not constitute them lifting up praise to the Lord...

Offline Fantom

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Corey B ~~ San Diego CA
    • Just Us Butlers

I KNOW ALOT OF GOOD SINGERS IN THE CHURCH COMMUNITY AND THEY DON'T HAVE THE OPPORTUNITIES TO SHINE OR COMPETE IN NATIONALLY TELEVISED COMPETITIONS SUCH THAT AS "AMERICAN IDOL".  I KNOW A FEW YEARS AGO FULL GOSPEL DID THEIR OWN "INTERNAL" COMPETION.  MIRRORED FROM AMERICAN IDOL LOOKING FOR GOSPEL SINGERS.  SO I WOULD THINK THAT BET SHOULD DO SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES.

HERE IN SAN DIEGO, THE CITY RECOGNIZES THE GOSPEL ARTISTS BY DOING "619 AWARDS" (619 IS ARE AREA CODE). THEY GIVE OUT TROPHYS/PLAQUES TO WINNERS (WINNERS CHOOSEN BY ONLINE VOTING).

AND SISTA Natasha-praze IS THERE ANYWHERE WE CAN LISTEN TO A SONG OR A SHORT CLIP.  AND PLEASE LET US KNOW WHEN YOUR ALBUM DROPS.

FANTOM

Offline kashawn

• LGM Member
  • ~!J@ZZY!~

alwayz put God 1st in everything u do. Dont let no 1 tell u wat 2 do. If God tell u 2 go then go even if u gotta go by yo self. ;)
~!Blessed by th3 B3ST!~
Pages: [1]   Go Up