LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the real horn players, PLEASE stand up  (Read 7217 times)

Offline Laydy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Will the real horn players, PLEASE stand up
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:03:48 PM »
I'm the 2nd chief musician at my church. I play the piano and keyboard. I usually end up playing the horn parts, but Im not quite familiar with the horn section. I played trombone back in da day when i was in appr. 8th grade--so thats no help. :D SO when we're playing a song i usually go with the melody or if its a familiar song i mimic the original and add a little of my style to it. But most of the songs we sing at my church are original. Any theory tips?

Just wondering if I could get some tips from some of you REAL horn players can help a sister out?? PLZ. Anything would be appreciated.

Offline Saxman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • SAXMAN'S MINISTRY

Re: Will the real horn players, PLEASE stand up
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »
This is one rule that I have in playing in church whether it is a solo, praise group, or choir is to "stay out the way" of them.  That means to don't play in the way of the singing parts.  I like to think of my playing as a means of embellishment or making the overall sound more presentable.  I am like the dessert of the whole thing.  Understand?  Therefore, think of yourself as an enhancement to the whole picture.

Saxman

http://members3.boardhost.com/SAXMAN111/

Offline jremon

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:57:56 AM »
If you are talking about how to voice the chords for horn players, I would recommend reading some of the many arranging books out there. Berklee Press has a really good book called Arranging for the Big Band. It's generally about arranging for jazz band, but many of the principles could be used in a gospel setting. Especially, when you think of using drop - 2 or drop - 4 voincings, using upper structures, etc. This could be a real tool. Also, listen to many recordings as possible. A lot of the John P. Kee stuff makes use of horn sections. Listen.

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 01:01:42 PM »
very good sugestion indeed.... hey just do it the old fashion way...listen to as many horn section and parts as possible.. what I find is that keyboard players trying to play horn part, the secret is too think like a horn player...if its been since the 8th grade  that knowledge may be gone...if you can get your hands on some scores ..maybe your local library has some in it music dept ask around ... and start to play them .hope this info will help you... if you cant find any ...i will try to scan some parts for ya..hit me back let me know what u think

kevin
THE UNIT

Offline Laydy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions peeps. Im defintely going to try those techniques.---But I was trying to stay away from that, cuz I didnt want to rip other artists. ut I guess you do what you do, until you can do something else..lol

Offline Laydy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 05:06:04 PM »
Thanks Kevin. Anything you can provide I'll gladly accept. ;D

Offline Laydy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
Hey jremon, this may sound stupid but can you explain to me what you mean by "voicing" chords. I think I know what you mean, but I just want to be sure.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »
... hmmm

jiaopi333

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
thanks for you sharing

wish you have a good day

Offline Pastor:William T. Carr

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 04:20:15 PM »
As i see where you are coming from, i have found more comfort in blending in situations like yours,,improv in the back ground,if you know the soung or follow ..this another reason i personaly want my flugal horn with me all the time, i'm able to mel- the sound.....

Offline holyplaya

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 02:48:24 AM »
If your feeling brave you can take advantage of the spaces in between singing parts. You can create mini solos that way also intros are sometimes a great way to create cool solos don't get stuck playing the melody it leaves you in a rut here's me playing if your interested http://lighthouseworshipcenter.net/music/ the videos under choir has me playing I'm not awesome but I get down..lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up