LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What makes a good horn player?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

What makes a good horn player?
« on: March 18, 2006, 03:40:14 PM »
There are so many good things to do that will make you an outstanding horn player I would like to know; what do you do in your practice section that make your horn playing turn out well.
THE UNIT

ES7Mike

Re: What makes a good horn player?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »
In my practice time I usually work on as many scales as I can. For instance, to me the crhomatic scale should be one of the scales that you become most familiar with because it invovles all of the notes that you play. also, you want to work on your tone quality, inntonation, dynamics, and most of all your tuning. for almost evevry wind instrument, there are notes that are always flat or sharp. you could also work on balance because this pertains to tuning. what I am trying to say is that if you are playing with another wind player you want to make sure that your pitch and your notes are similar to theres. If you can, also work on your music reading skills, sight reading, and memorization and Improv skills.

I HOPE THIS WILL BLESS YOU! 8)

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 02:57:06 PM »
Thanks mike for responding to this thread...thaats mostly my aproach also scales, scales, and more scales is the way to go ....I also so listen tro alot of different horn player to pick up tricks and anything else that I can learn from..I love low end word to gget low Bb, B, C# ...ect to sound just as good as  middle A....so when i have to dip down there its not a stuggle to maintain an even uniform tone

Thanks again for all the in put and my God bless your playing
Kevin aka The unit
THE UNIT

Offline ABOVEALL

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 01:09:47 AM »
Just another note.  Playing is a sport.  Like you would do for any other sport, consider conditioning.  I'm not sure what horn you are playing, but all working members of your production team must be conditioned.  If your lips and etc. are not in shape for playing you wont last five minutes before blowing your chops shot.  Practice long tones for a nice amount of time, but not too long; you do not want to blow your chops permantely or for an extensive period of time.  I would suggest 15 minutes.  Start mid-range and work down, then start mid-range and work up.  Both directions maxing out on your range.  You will gradually see your longevity, durability, versatility, range, and so much more increase.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:01:48 AM »
Practice, talent, Practice, Practice, Practice.

I practice for about 1.5 to 2 hours a day, depending on my time and also whether or not I have a concert coming up.  In college I was practicing 4-5 hours a day.

My routine is this:

Scales - All major and minor----  full range and then in thirds (again, full range)
Sight reading
Work on written compositions -  (whatever I am learning for concerts, church, etc)
Work on improv (Use play alongs, play along with my fav sax players)
altissimo study
Long tone / intonation study

Hope this helps,

Wolfram

Pages: [1]   Go Up