LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Evaluate your Singing  (Read 6325 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Evaluate your Singing
« on: March 21, 2006, 12:39:12 PM »
I was wondering, can you truely evaluate your own singing or do you need other people to "truely" tell you where you are??

I've seen people that could blow say they aren't all that good and I've heard people that can't really sing think they can sing, so what do you think??
:)

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

Re: Evaluate your Singing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:36:10 AM »
I'm very modest when it comes to me, especially singing.  I hold my own, but I don't feel I'm where I want/need to be.  If I had some formal training I think I'd be a lil' better.   ;)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:17:56 AM »
I'm very modest when it comes to me, especially singing.  I hold my own, but I don't feel I'm where I want/need to be.  If I had some formal training I think I'd be a lil' better.   ;)

I'm right there wit ya, Lyric. As a matter of fact, I need to send an email right now.  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline silky

• LGM Member
  • at the Cross.......

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 07:46:05 PM »
yeah, i'm modest about my singing too.  and i always think that others are better than me although people say i have a beautiful voice. 
and i do think singers need to hear what others have to say about their singing.  i have heard some people that were not so good hold up what they got with all confidence :)
WHEN YOU CAN'T, GOD CAN

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »
my singing is lousy although there are rare moments when I seem to have a voice

a tape recorder is the best evaluator '

can you say MEMOREX

I AGREE...
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »
I was wondering, can you truely evaluate your own singing or do you need other people to "truely" tell you where you are??

I've seen people that could blow say they aren't all that good and I've heard people that can't really sing think they can sing, so what do you think??

Yes you can evaluate yourself to the point that you can tape yourself and see where you are at. Now remember you are your worse ememy, so try to be fair to yourself.  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline Vangelist

• LGM Member
  • No Joy, No Strength *II Timothy 4*

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 03:03:53 PM »
I knew I could sing before anyone else did. I would hear some people sing and know that I could rip them to pieces if I sang it. However, I am modest when it comes to singing. I'm not going to say that I will rip it up because most of the time its gospel and I don't know what the Spirit will do. And also I don't feel that I've reached my full potential yet.
I won't take nothing for my journey now. No turnin' back, no turnin' back.

Offline Scales27

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
      Well, I think that I'm a bad judge of my own singing, because there are times when I think I sound terrible, and people say that I sounded great. I usually don't think that I can sing, and maybe every once in a while, I'll hit an awesome note, and then say ok, ok, you can sing. I really do love the Memorex, cuz they don't lie.

Offline praznhim06

• LGM Member
  • Sing unto the Lord a new song... Psalm 96:1

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 08:22:22 PM »
yeah, i'm modest about my singing too.  and i always think that others are better than me although people say i have a beautiful voice. 
and i do think singers need to hear what others have to say about their singing.  i have heard some people that were not so good hold up what they got with all confidence :)

I with you silky.  People say you did a great job but a lot of times I don't feel that way.  I just do my best and sing to the glory of God!!
"Doing God's work, God's Way"

Offline PapaRooskie

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 08:32:46 PM »
You might be able to  evaluate yourself, but its always to get a second opinion.  Most people who can stay in tune think they can sing, even if they have horrible tone quality.  When i go into voice lessons i song Ab's and A's and i think they sound horrible, but my voice teacher, who is a trained, professional opra singer, says it sound exactly how its supposed to sound.  So..... i think that to progress in your singing ability it is def. better not to rely on urself.

Offline mrs-mojo

• LGM Member
  • Monique Sanders

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 01:04:07 PM »

I'm not sure about where I am really. I mean, i know that i can sing, but I am NO WHERE near where i want/need/or should be. people are amazed because i have such a big voice and i am very small, but i want to be known for more than that. its kinda hard these days, there are a lot of great singers out there and a lot of competition to go along with it.
singing to tracks is whack............a live band is the best way to go

Offline jomo7

• LGM Member
  • JOE SANDERS

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »
well my i suggest getting on my level
I do it all for his glory

CreoleChica

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 06:19:49 PM »
It's strange to hear an average singer brag about their singing ability.  It's like they don't hear what everyone else is hearing. 

I am realistic when it comes to my own singing.  I know I have a very good singing voice and I hope it only gets better as I get older.  I'm one of only 7 lead singers in my choir and we have over 100 choir members and everyone in the choir has to audition and be able to sing well.

I do think most folks can be taught to be an average singer, if they have a good voice teacher....we have many famous gospel singers that are average singers.  Not everyone in Gospel music can blow.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 12:25:20 AM »
I knew I could sing before anyone else did. I would hear some people sing and know that I could rip them to pieces if I sang it. However, I am modest when it comes to singing. I'm not going to say that I will rip it up because most of the time its gospel and I don't know what the Spirit will do. And also I don't feel that I've reached my full potential yet.

Awww.....don't be so hard on yourself.........you might want to get a little confidence.....
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline mrs-mojo

• LGM Member
  • Monique Sanders

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 12:48:20 PM »
Awww.....don't be so hard on yourself.........you might want to get a little confidence.....

ha ha ha!!!! gotta love the sarcasim
singing to tracks is whack............a live band is the best way to go

iamworship2006

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
All I can say is I do it as unto the Lord. Not being deep but the world is full of opinons. All of them are right and all of them are wrong as well. You can ask God to help you perfect your gift and he will. I'm after the annointing when I sing. That is what destoys the yokes. Within myself I dont think I sing well at all but it never fails every Sunday somebody will come up and say I enjoyed you today and that is enough for me. What I do knwo is I'm no Daryl Coley ( my mentor) Whew!!! But I press toward tht mark.

Hey which reminds me.. My Album is coming this Summer

chek it out well snippets at http://www.myspace.com/michaelaverydomdps

I'm in the writing stages but stop in from time to time and check the progress

Offline Soul_Flower

• LGM Member
  • Sweet As A Rose!!

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »
I think I am pretty good at what I do. God has blessed me with a voice and an ear for parts. People tell me I have a beautiful voice and that I bless them everytime I sing.  But, I dont feel that way when I am singing.  There are sometimes where I think to myself like man I really ripped it but most of the time its like...........I was ok.  I can't stand to listen to my own voice on a recording.  It don't sound the same and that annoys the mess out of me.

I think I sing better when I am by myself. I play with the song more.  I hold back when I am at church, unfortunatly.  I have this thing where I dont want others to feel that I am showing off. Dont get me wrong, there are times where I just go for it, but then there's the times where I dont sing where I know I can.  But, I am getting a lot better now and just using the gift that God gave me to best of my ability.  I am not shy too much anymore.

But anyway, I think I have a wonderful voice.  God Bless Y'all.

Smooches!!
If you take the time to smell the roses,
life will be much more sweeter.  Smooches!!

Lyric33

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 04:33:03 PM »

I am so hard on myself. I always think I could have done a song better. I am asked often to sing at different functions and can't understand why, lol. I see nothing special about my voice. I know I have a good voice but not worthy of the attention that I get. I know it's for the Lord so I try not to worry about it to much. But I'll also admit that if I want to do a song a certain way then I don't stop until I get it the way I want it. And at the same time I know it kind of takes away from the purpose of sing gospel. At the same time I feel like if I don't practice a song until I'm comfortable with it and I'm feeling it then who will it touch????
I have also heard people that don't sound good but put a lot of heart and soul into it.

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 06:09:24 PM »
 To myself, I am an average singer. I wouldn't say American Idol, but I am ok.
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline drummer_boi23

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 05:24:28 PM »
im hard onmy self as well i would say im ok i see places were i should me better but ill work on it. i really focus on the drums but any time i get i sing its a black thang ;)
Strive to make it to the top practise makes perfect if you pray and practice God will lead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up