LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to sing with some "UMPH"...  (Read 3557 times)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

Want to sing with some "UMPH"...
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:25:03 PM »
Growing up, I developed a pretty nice voice, but I never could get the runs down and do all the extra stuff you hear today...like in Nikki Ross, etc. Now that I have had maybe 6 years of classical training, I have actually learned how to control my voice and breathing and I'm sort of picking up runs here and there when I sing songs. I realized I can do it, but it sometimes happens when I am by myself...LOL. What other things can I do to add that extra "umph" to my singing? Are there certain runs or things I can practice on? I know somebody can help me out....THANKS Y'ALL!!!
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

Re: Want to sing with some "UMPH"...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:50:06 PM »
Growing up, I developed a pretty nice voice, but I never could get the runs down and do all the extra stuff you hear today...like in Nikki Ross, etc. Now that I have had maybe 6 years of classical training, I have actually learned how to control my voice and breathing and I'm sort of picking up runs here and there when I sing songs. I realized I can do it, but it sometimes happens when I am by myself...LOL. What other things can I do to add that extra "umph" to my singing? Are there certain runs or things I can practice on? I know somebody can help me out....THANKS Y'ALL!!!

Oh stop it Woman of God, you already know how to get  that power that you need vocally. I went through this same thing and I started listening to Daryl Coley, John p. Kee. Now you try Vanessa bell, Kim Burrell, Kim Mcfarland and believe it or not, Dottie Peoples. I PROMISE YOU THAT THESE THREE WILL TIGHTEN YOU RIGHT UP!!!!   Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:29:02 AM »
thanks bishipcole...i knew somebody had my back!

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 12:31:58 AM »
thanks bishipcole...i knew somebody had my back!

I'm your big Brother in Christ, YOU KNOW I GOT YOUR BACK!!!!  Bishop Cole

Offline Bruh Kell

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 03:26:21 AM »
I agree with you Bisho Cole you're 100 % correct. I you jes' listen and practice you'll get most of the stuff you like down pat. Also when you're doing runs try to slow them down and you will find yourself running straight through them like butter.

Be Blessed
I Love You!!!

Offline Scales27

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 08:26:01 PM »
      This is how I get signature runs and riffs: Get some nice instrumentals that fit your singing style (to a song or just an empty track), sing as few words as possible, just ad-lib. Record yourself. Also while doing this, listen to the runs on the piano, if any. Many piano runs make some nice vocal runs.I said record yourself so you could hear yourself and so when you surprise yourself with something nice, you'll have it on tape to practice and moniter the growth in your style.

Offline singn4thelord

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 12:19:13 PM »
 I'm 2nd soprano. How does a person find their comfortable key and range for their voice? Any suggestions on artists I can listen to?
      This is how I get signature runs and riffs: Get some nice instrumentals that fit your singing style (to a song or just an empty track), sing as few words as possible, just ad-lib. Record yourself. Also while doing this, listen to the runs on the piano, if any. Many piano runs make some nice vocal runs.I said record yourself so you could hear yourself and so when you surprise yourself with something nice, you'll have it on tape to practice and moniter the growth in your style.

Offline Scales27

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 04:32:08 PM »
I'm 2nd soprano. How does a person find their comfortable key and range for their voice? Any suggestions on artists I can listen to?

I kind of don't like the terms outside of SATB, because I'm more familiar with standard SATB, but 2nd Soprano is like low soprano, but above Mezzo-soprano in SATB, and is high alto in S1S2TB (right?). Dealing with 2nd soprano makes it hard for me to identify someone with that tone, but I would say Yolanda Adams, Most of Mary Mary's songs, an dVikki Winans. Off the top of my head, I'd say your best bet would be Vikki Yoghe (she sings Because of who you are).
      There are only two ways of finding your range that I can think of right now. One is trial and error. You can try singing different songs, and whatever is comfortable for you-find out what key it is in. Of course this way is a little over the top. The best way would be to find someone that can play the piano (if you can't), and ask them to run major scales from low C to high C. Whatever you can do without pushing, straining, and if it sounds similar to your speaking voice-that is your comfortable range. If you know how to modulate your voice then sing a song in the key of C, and modulate your voice up to the next C. Whatever keys are easier for you-thats what keys your are better in.
      Thats about the best I can give you. My knowledge is very limited. I kind of just find the right key by singing a song in a Soprano tone and key, Alto tone and key, and etc..
      I hope that helped.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 07:51:57 PM »

Yes, here are a few,  Yolanda Adams, Kim Mcfarland,and Vanessa Bell Armstrong. Remember that women that sing 2nd sop.also have limited 1st sop. ranges, so there are many many more that could fall under this listing. I hope this helps,  Bishop Cole 

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 08:11:32 PM »
Oh yeah...not really a big difference. I know we just divide parts most of the time so we can have different sounds going on at once. Females that hit notes in the octave above middle C, I call them "sopranos", if you can go 2 ocataves above that...praises to ya 1st soprano. I know i'm working on getting that range now and i'm killing myself, but actually i've noticed some improvement on reaching higher notes

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 08:16:40 PM »
Oh yeah...not really a big difference. I know we just divide parts most of the time so we can have different sounds going on at once. Females that hit notes in the octave above middle C, I call them "sopranos", if you can go 2 ocataves above that...praises to ya 1st soprano. I know i'm working on getting that range now and i'm killing myself, but actually i've noticed some improvement on reaching higher notes

Yeah, I'm working on my high C AS WELL!!!  HA-HA

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 08:45:30 PM »
Yeah, I used to be able to reach that high C and stop, but since I've had my new teacher, she's been working me to a high D/E/F. I come out my lesson feeling all tired, got a headache, and seem like i'm about to pass out...lol. People asking "You just worked out"...lol

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 08:47:56 PM »
Yeah, I used to be able to reach that high C and stop, but since I've had my new teacher, she's been working me to a high D/E/F. I come out my lesson feeling all tired, got a headache, and seem like i'm about to pass out...lol. People asking "You just worked out"...lol

Yes indeed, I remember!!  Bishop Cole

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »
IMHO Vibrato strategically in a song can give a song umph as well as modulating a note gradually instead of sharply!

Offline singn4thelord

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 10:11:56 PM »
      I kind of don't like the terms outside of SATB, because I'm more familiar with standard SATB, but 2nd Soprano is like low soprano, but above Mezzo-soprano in SATB, and is high alto in S1S2TB (right?). Dealing with 2nd soprano makes it hard for me to identify someone with that tone, but I would say Yolanda Adams, Most of Mary Mary's songs, an dVikki Winans. Off the top of my head, I'd say your best bet would be Vikki Yoghe (she sings Because of who you are).
      There are only two ways of finding your range that I can think of right now. One is trial and error. You can try singing different songs, and whatever is comfortable for you-find out what key it is in. Of course this way is a little over the top. The best way would be to find someone that can play the piano (if you can't), and ask them to run major scales from low C to high C. Whatever you can do without pushing, straining, and if it sounds similar to your speaking voice-that is your comfortable range. If you know how to modulate your voice then sing a song in the key of C, and modulate your voice up to the next C. Whatever keys are easier for you-thats what keys your are better in.
      Thats about the best I can give you. My knowledge is very limited. I kind of just find the right key by singing a song in a Soprano tone and key, Alto tone and key, and etc..
      I hope that helped.

Yes, your suggestions helped tremendously because I have sung the song "Because Of Who You Are" with my choir and also when praising the Lord  alone. You are right, I didn't have to strain and was able to reach the notes ok. I will take your and Bishopcole's  advice and "thank you" to all who replied.
Pages: [1]   Go Up