LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trumpet  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Da1witdastix

• LGM Member

Trumpet
« on: March 25, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »
any of yall trumpet can give me any help of gettin betta on trumpet..i try to play wit songs and stuff....
I don\'t need a month I make history er\'yday

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Re: Trumpet
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 06:56:02 AM »
Ho w2long you been playing for??
:)

Offline Da1witdastix

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:22:33 PM »
about 3 years off and on
I don\'t need a month I make history er\'yday

Offline bigtexas210

• LGM Member
  • if u pay your musicans they will b on time

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:07:18 AM »
learn your scales when u know all your scales u can pick up and play any thing i feel thats the best way to get better
i make it do what it do

T

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »
I can help you. I've been playing the trumpet for 7 years now. If you tell me actually what you need help i will be glad to help ya. ;)

Offline ShadowPhace

• LGM Member
  • I am truely blessed...thank you God.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:14:53 PM »
learn your scales when u know all your scales u can pick up and play any thing i feel thats the best way to get better

I agree with you...knowing all your scales can help you find what key a song is in and how to play it. I play both trumpet and piano by ear, and the secret to doing this is knowing your scales.

Get into it man. Buy you some books and tapes that can help you understand the basics of music and music theory. I taught myself how to play both trumpet and piano. I taught myself to play trumpet long before I learned to play piano. One way I did this is that I went to the library and rented a tape by Terry Clarke that broke down the basic of how to play trumpet. Go to your library and start reading and renting tapes. You'll be surprised at the amount of resources that are there.
All the glory goes to God for my talent.

Offline david johnson

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:07:05 PM »
each day play-

1) long tones in low/middle/high register
2) intervals (skips) in each register
3) start learning scales, slur and tongue

got any technique books?
what equipment you using...horn type...mouthpiece?
what's your goal?

dj

Offline trumpetplaya

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 10:39:22 PM »
The key to playing a good trumpet is... practice, practice, practice.  The trumpet is a very challenging and demanding instrument.  My teacher informed me that it would take a good 3 to 4 years to get a good solid tone from the trumpet.

I would recommend:

1. Get a good teacher and/or mentor who has played at least 7 to 10 years.  That person can show you somethings that you have never thought about.
2. Establish a routine practice schedule.  The great ones practice everyday.
3. Learn Music Theory (scales, intervals, minor vs major, different modes of various keys)
4. Long Tones.  They help build your chops.
5. Buzz your mouth piece on the way to work, school, church.  You would be surprised how that helps.
6. Last but not least, dedicate your talent to God and ask Him to bless it.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 11:19:45 PM »
Greetings!
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline Born4Greatness

• LGM Member
  • God Is Doing It!!!!

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 06:24:22 PM »
each day play-

1) long tones in low/middle/high register
2) intervals (skips) in each register
3) start learning scales, slur and tongue

got any technique books?
what equipment you using...horn type...mouthpiece?
what's your goal?

dj

This is very solid information.  Without seeing nor hearing you play I would like to add a specific way to play your long tones.  Starting on 2nd line G, play them by taking a huge, but correct, breath and play the note as soft as you possibly can (still getting a fullness of tone) until you run out of breath.  And I mean to the point where there is absolutely no air left in your lungs.  Relax.  Remember, you are constantly listening for the pureness of your tone.  Take a couple of normal sized breaths and repeat on the same note.  Do this on each note decending down as far as YOU can go. I tend to go into the pedal range.  Once you have gone down as far as you can go repeat this exercise starting on 3rd space C and ascending as high as you can go.  It is not uncommon for someone starting this exercise to not be able to get to 5th line F before feeling very fatigued.  Don't get discouraged.  This exercise is time consuming but the rewards are more than worth it!  And don't forget your lips slurs, because doing long tones make you stiff, and as a trumpet player you need flexibility!!!!  To all who may try this, do so for about a month.  Record yourself and put the recording away.  After a month record the same thing using the same equipment you used previously.  I promise, you will hear a huge difference!  A few things you start to notice are increases in range, endurance, embrosure strength, intonation, and power!  Oh!  Do not use your tongue for attacks.  Just your air!  God Blesses...

Ed 
GOD Blesses......
Pages: [1]   Go Up