LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for practicing...  (Read 6399 times)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

Tips for practicing...
« on: March 26, 2006, 09:47:15 PM »
Well, here are some things I do to practice that some others might find beneficial. It is part of my grade to get 10 hrs. of voice in as a vocal perf. minor, but sometimes that is just impossible with my schedule. Here are some things I do:

1. Divide your practice times into maybe 30-45 min. intervals, 2-4 times a day. It is much easier on the voice. Practicing all at once can just wear you out quicker and also, you can lose focus quicker( well in my case, I do)

2. Warm Up...not just vocally, but PHYSICALLY!
              Stretch, stretch, stretch!!! Make sure your body is loose and not all tensed up. A tensed up body can lead to very bad 
              singing which is not good for your body. If possible, lie on the floor and breathe. REMEMBER: Your LOWER stomach
              expands when inhaling. When exhaling, try this little exercise, of making a hissing sound. This allows you to slowly exhale
              causing your stomach to exhale. In the long run, this really comes in handy because you start to notice you can hold you
              breath longer for those really long notes. It is all about that muscle memory. NEXT, vocally warm your voice up. No harsh
              screaming is needed. HIT ME UP...if you need some vocal excercises that are also good for breathing!

3. Break your songs up! You can start in the beginning, but when it comes to memorizing pieces, you always seem to remember
    the beginning so well. Try starting from the end for a change. ( I do this alot because I have to read music all the time.)

4. Stay hydrated while practicing. Lord knows you don't want that scratchiness to creep up on ya' and you have no water (not ice
    cold, either)

5. Have a cassette player handy! You can playback things from a previous practice, listen to other singers/music/accompaniment, and
    also record yourself!

6. When singing and you know you've made a mistake, go back and fix it then! Make note of what you were struggling with.

7. Have somebody sit in sometimes and give you some feedback.

8. End your practicing on a positive note. In the end, it helps you look forward to your next practice session.

That is all I can think of now. If ya have some more, feel free to add some! Many blessings...
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

Re: Tips for practicing...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »
Well, here are some things I do to practice that some others might find beneficial. It is part of my grade to get 10 hrs. of voice in as a vocal perf. minor, but sometimes that is just impossible with my schedule. Here are some things I do:

1. Divide your practice times into maybe 30-45 min. intervals, 2-4 times a day. It is much easier on the voice. Practicing all at once can just wear you out quicker and also, you can lose focus quicker( well in my case, I do)

2. Warm Up...not just vocally, but PHYSICALLY!
              Stretch, stretch, stretch!!! Make sure your body is loose and not all tensed up. A tensed up body can lead to very bad 
              singing which is not good for your body. If possible, lie on the floor and breathe. REMEMBER: Your LOWER stomach
              expands when inhaling. When exhaling, try this little exercise, of making a hissing sound. This allows you to slowly exhale
              causing your stomach to exhale. In the long run, this really comes in handy because you start to notice you can hold you
              breath longer for those really long notes. It is all about that muscle memory. NEXT, vocally warm your voice up. No harsh
              screaming is needed. HIT ME UP...if you need some vocal excercises that are also good for breathing!

3. Break your songs up! You can start in the beginning, but when it comes to memorizing pieces, you always seem to remember
    the beginning so well. Try starting from the end for a change. ( I do this alot because I have to read music all the time.)

4. Stay hydrated while practicing. Lord knows you don't want that scratchiness to creep up on ya' and you have no water (not ice
    cold, either)

5. Have a cassette player handy! You can playback things from a previous practice, listen to other singers/music/accompaniment, and
    also record yourself!

6. When singing and you know you've made a mistake, go back and fix it then! Make note of what you were struggling with.

7. Have somebody sit in sometimes and give you some feedback.

8. End your practicing on a positive note. In the end, it helps you look forward to your next practice session.

That is all I can think of now. If ya have some more, feel free to add some! Many blessings...

Make sure that you copy this, cause someone else will need this. Keep up the great work in Christ!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 10:19:09 PM »
Oh yes indeed! I just hope more people notice it kuz it will sure come in handy!

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 06:55:53 AM »
Got another...make sure you work on posture. So many people stand wrong and the breath sometimes get cuts off not allowing you to have enough for long notes. Stand tall, feet about a foot apart, back straight, and chin forward. You will be able to breathe easier.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 06:45:58 AM »
Thanks for the tips. :)  To bad I can't sing. :)
:)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:44:46 AM »
Oh, everybody can sing, just depends on how it sounds...teeheehee

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 09:55:28 AM »
Really great tips. Do you practice everyday?

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »
I try to. It is really hard to do it on the weekends because of me working, but I do go back and listen my recordings and critique myself. So, the next time I practice, I know what I need to work on.

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 12:15:55 PM »
Here is a couple more tips...

*YES, dairy products are a no-no before you sing. Why? It coats your throat with this thick mucus and my goodness, I know. Chocolate does the same thing, too.

*Do not sleep under an air condition or a window.  It makes the voice harder to warm up and you can catch a cold ( and yes, you can really catch a cold because your body is fighting so hard to get warm that it gets weak while you are sleeping. Therefore, your immune system gets weak, allowing your body to be susceptible to catching a cold.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 12:24:26 PM »
I am no singer either but I train choirs and these tips are outstanding

I bet if I do some of these things I may be able to sing well enough that the dogs stop howling

thanks for the tips I will pass them on to my choir presidents
I knew singers

had to practice but I never knew it got that serious my oh my singers are musicians too.
 ;D
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline scoop

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 05:34:58 PM »
Awesome tips. I'll try especially to take advantage of #3... Breathing/ hissing... I just have to get over the initial embarassment withy making sounds on my back  :P :P But I'll try...

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 08:16:47 PM »
You will get over it. I had one teacher who was like a drill sergeant. One day, I wasn't breathing right and he put his size 13 right on my stomach so I could have pressure to push against. Needless, to say I really upset and flustered after this. So, he felt bad and the next day he came into my choir class and in front of the choir and the director, he gave me a kiss on my cheek. Nasty, but I guess he was trying to say it was all out of love ( he is not one OF those kinds of teachers. he is not into women) After that, I got a female teacher who now knows how to work with my voice better :).

Offline Graced1

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »
Ok... bear with me and these silly questions. (I've been singing in the house and with records without any serious coaching or lessons.)

How does muscle memory impact your singing...what is it?

Why are the exercises done on your back?

I'd LOVE to have some vocal exercises. When I got back in the choir after being off for so long. I knew I needed to do something, and the only thing I knew to do was " do, a deer, a female deer, ra... a drop of golden sun..

lol

Graced 1,

Live in Grace, Walk in Grace...be Graced!

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 09:36:41 PM »

How does muscle memory impact your singing...what is it?

Why are the exercises done on your back?

1...Muscle memory does impact. HOW? Once you get the hang of breathing correctly, you then train yourself to memorize how that feels. So if you know your stomach has to be out so far for you to get your maximum breath you memorize that. Eventually, down the line it all becomes natural. Muscle memory also pertains to the shape of your mouth.

2. Why on your back? At first, I was like this is crazy, but when you are standing, gravity tends to pull everything down. Therefore, your posture is scrunched...which causes your stomach to be scrunched. Lying flat on your back puts everything at level. Also, having pressure against your back allows for you to breath against something. So from there, your muscle memory comes into play. Memorize how your posture is while lying down and mimic this when standing. Don't let your body collapse!

Hope this explained things better. I was typing real fast!

Offline Graced1

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 09:21:02 PM »
It was Great!

much thanks.
Graced 1,

Live in Grace, Walk in Grace...be Graced!

Offline Slow_Sing

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/SLOWSING

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 04:48:07 PM »
I'M Understand
I'll worship you Lord.

Offline bigboi_08

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »
hey,.. is it true that lemon juice will make your voice stronger?

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 10:27:58 PM »
hey,.. is it true that lemon juice will make your voice stronger?

Lemon doesn't make you voice stronger, but it does help remove any phlegm, well the acid does. Also, I just recently found this out...adding aloe vera..yes aloe...to water can help keep your chords moisturized. I heard it doesn't taste all that well, but it works. Not sure about this. Haven't tried it, yet!

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 10:35:57 PM »
Forgot another one...coffee and other caffenated products dry out your body. So, you should be keep those to a minimum!

Always,
Klarity

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 12:41:10 PM »
Thanks for the info,  I have a couple of other questions for you on singing.

1.  When singing in the choir at church it seems that I'm mimic other voices.  How do I train and maintain my own level or is that considered trying to harmonizing with the rest of the guys.

2.  I'm attempting to move my piano playing singing further as GOD takes me further,  are there any exercises that I can do while at the keyboard.

3.  I feel that my ear also needs to be stronger (this will also help my piano playing), becuase I fades in and out as if I can't really hear myself and carry that same note (hope that's not to vague).  With this happening I try to listen to others and where their at that takes me back to question 1.

God bless you and thanks for your help.......
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up