LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 bass players?  (Read 4600 times)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

2 bass players?
« on: March 27, 2006, 05:44:55 PM »
I was wondering if any of you have played on stage with another bass player?  I have a show coming up in July where I will be playing bass with another guy as well as 2 drummers.  I know it is common to have 2 drummers but I've only seen it once where there was 2 bass players.  If anyone has played with another bass player, can you pass on your experience, as well as some pointers on playing with another bass player.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Re: 2 bass players?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:48:02 PM »
I've jamed with another bass player.

Victor Wooten/Steve Bailey has a cd out they are both bass players, also Bootsy and another bass player has a few cds outs.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:53:59 PM »
Yeah I've got a Victor cd but he's not playing gospel music with a choir.  You understand?

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:30:11 PM »
The bass players cant switch off roles like guitar players do. Like if one is playing a bassline and the other can solo and chord. then switch roles. But I would think it would require some EQ adjustments in real time.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline BassMan2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Bass Guitar

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 11:31:56 PM »
The last time I was in NC. Myself and Bruce Bulter played in a church concert. I played the Root basic notes of the song and he played the improv parts.  When the video came out it sounded as if there was one Bass player.

Offline fatbaby78

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:01:19 AM »
Are you guys playin at the same time. My question then would be for what and then why? Split the songs up, so you can do you and he can do him. Other wise I look at that being competitive(unless one of you stick to yall roles). Me and the other bassist share songs. Not about who plays the best songs but about who feel comfortable with there songs.
"Its in Your Praise"

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 07:55:36 AM »
Pretty much one of you can play the bass line and the other can solo/improv over it.  That's what Vic Wooten and Anthony Wellington do in his band.  One puts the foundation down and the other solos.  They are pretty good at it too; Wellington is very attentive only playing when Wooten is soloing.  When Wooten comes in playing the bass line, Wellington drops out.  You can't tell it either...very smooth transitions.

Offline Jmack

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 08:37:16 AM »
i think it will work, but it's going to take some pre-coordination.  good luck and with God, all things are possible.
"Make a joyful noise unto the world"

Offline basedigrace

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/eriksancho

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »
2 bass can be done. The main thing you need to do is listen and stay out of each others way for it to work .
Yesterday I was at a rehearsal preparing for a concert on wednesday at the Walt Disney Concert and not only was I playing with 2 bassists, the group consists of 20 bass Players! And on top of that they threw in 80 guitarist and 1 drummer. Were all divided up into sections and have our own parts and somehow its all working.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 10:45:40 AM »
If there can be 2, 3 or even 4 guitarist why can't there be 2 bassist.

Offline DESQ

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 01:42:28 PM »
It can be done. ;D  I am only reiterating what others have already said. Just had some questions.  Are both of you'll playing in the same tonal range or is one of you using different tuning?  It is a little more difficult if you are both playing in the same tonal range.  Almost like competing with a bass heavy organist.  Obviously one will lay the foundation and the other will perform the riffs (or improvisations) over the chordal progressions.  If one of the basses has been tuned to be a piccolo bass it just a matter of not overplaying or fighting each other.  Are both of you seasoned bassists? 

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 04:45:13 PM »
Yes, we are both seasoned bassists.  Actually. when I first started to play the bass, this guy showed me some stuff.  We both play sing string basses so I'm probably going to tune differently since I have an effect pedal so that I can add color to the music. Thanks for all the information, I will take all of it in and I know through God we'll pull it off.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 05:35:06 PM »
I guess it would be sort of like lyring a bass line with a keyboard player.  It woudl requrie lots of coordination and from time to time maybe one of you can add a fill or riff.  Antoher thought would be for one of you to be turned up a little more in the mix while the other functions sort of like a secondary bassist.  There are other options that can be utilized too.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Stifled_1

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 12:09:08 PM »
motown used 3 bass players ......

Offline fatbaby78

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 07:46:21 AM »
The thing about 2 bassist is your playing at church and thats not the focus(1 carrying the bottom and other improv)That can take away from the move of the spirit. I can be wrong. Would like to see somebody do and flow
"Its in Your Praise"

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 08:26:19 AM »
The thing about 2 bassist is your playing at church and thats not the focus(1 carrying the bottom and other improv)That can take away from the move of the spirit. I can be wrong. Would like to see somebody do and flow

opening a can of worms on this one doc. 

nothing is impossible with the spirit of god working.  NOTHING.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 08:43:27 AM »
im not sure which Fred Hammond Video it is but there is one wtih Fred and Mo'Fitz playing bass at the same time

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 10:01:23 AM »
I'm with Jeremyr

I'm sure it can be done... I have often heard Organ players and Keyboardist step into the bass realm, when they are not used to playing with a Bass Player.
When we play something that was not rehearsed, whether it be spirit led or just impromptu.  My brother will play the bass lines on the keys until I can catch up.  Then
there is usually a period where we both are playing, until I nod I got it then lets me have it.  I personally like it when we both are playing, it gives the low-end a certain fullness.
Not to mention he is a phenominal musician, that pushes me to get better.

Anyhow, if there is a focus on God, I don't think the move of the Spirit would be a problem, unless there is unspiritual people 'performing' and not 'worshipping', and then one has
to think, was that truly a moving of God.  Anyhow, not wanting to stir things up, or open that, can....

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 10:02:02 AM »

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 10:22:13 AM »

It's been done before.  I've seen it at a concert once.  There was 2 basses, 2 drummers, keys and organ all for one choir.  I was just asking if anyone else had done it because this past spring would have been my first time. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up