LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris Dave Audio Clip(Request)...  (Read 1101 times)

MaestroDivine

Chris Dave Audio Clip(Request)...
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:15:59 PM »
If you have already heard "Invocation" from Ron Blakes "Sonic Tonic", then don't even bother.

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=291YNTO10416F2NHW4WI19EJW0

This definitely isn't gospel drumming, Krazy_Afro_Man. Hope you enjoy ...

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

Re: Chris Dave Audio Clip(Request)...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 08:06:29 AM »
thank you div
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

JFunky

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:26:15 AM »
...I enjoyed it.  The only thing I didn't like was his snare sound on the track.  I would've preferred a more traditional jazz sounding snare. (Not so tight)  Like, Tony Williams' snare sound or even Dave Weckls' snare sound. 

...Yo "D", question for ya, do you have or listen to Latin Jazz?  A lot of what Chris is doing sounds like what a Latin Jazz Drummer does.  His style is very nice, needless to say. ;)

MaestroDivine

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 08:32:27 AM »
...I enjoyed it.  The only thing I didn't like was his snare sound on the track.  I would've preferred a more traditional jazz sounding snare. (Not so tight)  Like, Tony Williams' snare sound or even Dave Weckls' snare sound. 

...Yo "D", question for ya, do you have or listen to Latin Jazz?  A lot of what Chris is doing sounds like what a Latin Jazz Drummer does.  His style is very nice, needless to say. ;)

In his Modern Drummer Article ... he said that it's a thing he and his friends did back in Houston.  He said people with loose snares don't usually have very fast singles ... so, they'd tighten it very tight - so they could really tell if someone was doing singles, instead of doubles that sounded like singles on a loose snare. He believes it's easier to "cheat" on a looser snare.

Personally, he has some very odd sound drums, to me. I always thought that. I guess that's what he likes, tho'. According to some people .. he's kind of an odd person. So, I guess that would come as no surprise...

MaestroDivine

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 08:34:15 AM »
I used to play in a Latin Jazz band. So - that would be a yes.

I'm gonna post another clip. This one was recorded at a club, somewhere in Houston. Quality isn't as good - but you can definitely hear.

JFunky

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:43:34 AM »
...yeah, I do remember reading that in the MD article.  I just think that the track could've had a real traditional Jazz feel with the snares like that but at the same time, he has his own voice and that's how we can distinguish Chris from anyone else.  I'm all for having you own voice on the instrument and not sounding like anyone else.  That's cool and what's also cool is that the guys that are considered a lil' odd are the ones that stand out and have their own voice.  Examples: Tony Williams, Papa Jo, Billy Cobham, Lenny White, Mark Mondesir, Elvin Jones and other greats that don't sound like anyone but themselves. ;)

MaestroDivine

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:46:14 AM »
...yeah, I do remember reading that in the MD article.  I just think that the track could've had a real traditional Jazz feel with the snares like that but at the same time, he has his own voice and that's how we can distinguish Chris from anyone else.  I'm all for having you own voice on the instrument and not sounding like anyone else.  That's cool and what's also cool is that the guys that are considered a lil' odd are the ones that stand out and have their own voice.  Examples: Tony Williams, Papa Jo, Billy Cobham, Lenny White, Mark Mondesir, Elvin Jones and other greats that don't sound like anyone but themselves. ;)

Check your private messages.

Offline bigbeatz_08

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:04:49 AM »
Hey are there any other gospel artist that Chris played with OTHER than Kim?
Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

MaestroDivine

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:06:47 AM »

Douglas Miller back in the day. That's all that I know of.

JMossProtege

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 09:31:46 AM »

He was also on Shawn McLemore's debut CD. Someone posted a clip of one fo the songs he played a while back.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 09:32:13 AM »
He was also on Shawn McLemore's debut CD. Someone posted a clip of one fo the songs he played a while back.

That was me - with a different username.

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 09:41:49 AM »
Thanx a lot for the clip div!!! You know that Im a huge Chris Dave fan. God bless!!!!
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 11:29:23 AM »

That influence you here is more from the African music influence (to be specific) but as you and I have talked about how that was incorporated into the Latin cultures during the slave trades. Stanton Moore explain it in his book for those wantig to find out more on the subject.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline JoeLove

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 01:51:26 PM »
yeah - chris studies fela kuti records and Ron Blake has his roots in the Carribean

Offline Krazy_afro_man

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 05:12:55 PM »
Thanks for tha clip Maestro. I lik chris's style a lot. sometimes he's hard to follow because hta suff that he does totally loses me. I like that lol Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up