LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Question????  (Read 548 times)

Offline spritfingaz

• LGM Member
    • http://

1 Question????
« on: April 01, 2006, 11:54:14 PM »
i'm a little confused. How do i know when to play a major or minor chord when i'm trying to progress up a scale
EX

in "C" the first chord is a 1-3-5 prgsn.  which is C-E-G, after that do i play the D-F#-A or the D-F-A. thats what i'm confounded about

thanks and god bless!!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Re: 1 Question????
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 12:14:55 AM »
When you play scale chords you have to know the major scale. The pattern to find the major scale is.
Whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step. You start on C to find the Cmajor scale. This will give you.
C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C

When you play scale chords you play up the scale. Thats how you know wether to play a major or minor chord. When you play the first chord Cmajor you keep your fingers in that mold and play up the scale. The Cmajor chord is CEG. Notice the notes all have a note in between the notes in the C major scale.
C and E has a D in between. E and G has a F in between. Play up the scale using the next note up for each finger and you will come out with the chords.
Cmajor, Dminor, Eminor, Fmajor, Gmajor, Aminor, Bdim.

Actually you should get a basic understanding of how to form the major chords first. Then you will understand why you play minor, diminished, suspended, and augmented chords.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: 1 Question????
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 09:20:48 PM »
i'm a little confused. How do i know when to play a major or minor chord when i'm trying to progress up a scale

That's simple, when figuring out chords in a scale, just play only the notes in that scale.  So, here is an example in Gb:

Gb major scale = Gb  Ab  Bb  Cb  Db  Eb  F

1st = Gb-Bb-Db
2nd = Ab-Cb-Eb
3rd = Bb-Db-F
4th = Cb-Eb-Gb
5th = Db-F-Ab
6th = Eb-Gb-Bb
7th = F-Ab-Cb

You see that?  I only used the notes in the Gb scale to get the chords.  That's what you do with every key.  Since this works for any key, we put it in this format:

1st = major
2nd = minor
3rd = minor
4th = major
5th = major
6th = minor
7th = diminished

Just in case you stuck on how to form chords, you just pick a note, write it down, then skip a note, write it down, then skip a note, write it down, etc.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up