Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salary  (Read 4222 times)

Offline luisaf1

• LGM Member
    • http://

Salary
« on: December 06, 2005, 09:06:24 AM »
Hello, I'm being interviewed today for a M.O.M. position.  I have held this position in another church for a longtime without pay.  Now I'm married and have 3 kids and I believe that I should be paid for my services which include writing and arranging music, directing the ministry and playing my instrument.  I know that God's grace is sufficient for me but I also believe that each laborer is worthy of his salary.  Any thoughts are welcomed.  God bless!

Offline jazzfingers

• LGM Member

Salary
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 10:59:14 AM »
HELLO LUISAF1. I CAN ACTUALLY SAY I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I'VE BEEN AT A CHURCH PLAYING A WHOLE YEAR. NO SALARY.PLAYING THE ORGAN EVERY SUNDAY.TALKED TO THE PASTOR GOT A SOB STORY ABOUT THE CHURCH BILLS GOT TO GET PAID. THAT'S TRUE ALSO. PASTOR ALSO SAID DID NOT WANT TO DISCOURAGE THE PEOPLE ASKING FOR A MUSICIAN OFFERING. SO GUESS WHAT WHEN I BOUNCE MAYBE THEY WANT BE DISCOURAGE WITH NO MUSICIAN. I ASKED FOR A OFFERING FROM TIME TO TIME. SO I SAY GO FOR IT. IF YOU FOUND A CHURCH WHERE THE MINISTRY IS PROSPERING AND THEY ARE WILLING TO BLESS THE MUSICAN TO PROSPER THEN YOU HAVE A BLESSED MINISTRY. I MYSELF HAVE ANOTHER CHURCH THAT I'M VISTING CAN'T PAY SALARY BUT IS WILLING DO LOVE OFFERINGS QUITE OFTEN. SO I AM GOING TO PRAY. I WILL PRAY EVERY THING WORK OUT FOR YOU WITH YOUR NEW POSITION.

Offline luisaf1

• LGM Member

Salary
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 11:22:40 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I'll keep you in prayer as well.

Stay blessed!

Offline Cm9_Ed

• LGM Member

Re: Salary
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 12:42:02 PM »
Quote from: luisaf1
I know that God's grace is sufficient for me but I also believe that each laborer is worthy of his salary.

You said it all right there in that sentence. We have been blessed with special talents that we work hard daily to improve and perfect. Some of us use music as our main source of income. We have ourselves and families to support like anyone else. I don't understand why some ppl frown on us for asking for salaries. I spend most for my life studying music and I didn't go to school for music because it is my favorite "hobby".

And the weird thing is that those churches that don't want to pay you are the ones that require so much of you. 2 midweek services, rehearsal, bible study, then morning, afternoon, and night services on Sunday! They want you to bring your personal instruments and no one helps you bring it in or out of the church! LOL

Offline Freddy229

• LGM Member

Salary
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 11:16:40 PM »
MOst of all importance...PRAY!!! Your gift is without a doubt blessing this ministry so you already know your importance there.  What you need to ask God to do is go before you in your conversation with the pastor. I have said my 'fee' and had pastors yell! (only because they're cheap, what I ask for is peanuts compared to what others on my skill level ask)

So, ask God what to do...FIRST!!  Let him KNOW what you need(He already knows anyway) but trust Him, he may lead you away from these false ministries that want things for free. No longer will I be used by a church that want my services for free. I heard one pastor tell me that the first half of the year was for 'fundrasing' and this musical just so happened to fall on Easter Sunday.(March)

Be lead by God and have some common sense: You wouldn't go punch a clock and sign the paycheck away would you...?

Offline stereoman1970

• LGM Member

Salary
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »
What should it profit a man to gain the World.....Yet Lose His Soul?
I sing because I'm Happy to Be in The Graces of gods Glory. & when God sees fit That I recieve a salary.. I will. I Think that when we Talk about Bouncin' Or Takin' Off till we Get Paid Then Our Approach is wrong.. I mean I'd Like to Get Paid.. But I was Getting paid In The Clubs and Gave That Uo For God.. Don't Loose Out On God To Get The Gold.
I am Sorry if My First Post is Not for Your Plight.

Offline c-kret05

• LGM Member

Salary
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »
Church's need to understand how important music is to the worship service. If playing music is your last alternitive for making money for you and your family then yea go for it. But dont forget that your playing is a ministry so make sure the main reason you play is not for money but for the glory of God

Offline Divinecalling1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just me!

Salary
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »
You are definitely not doing anything wrong by gathering information regarding salary and it is to the advantage of the church to have a good saved musician playing for them.  People are attracted to good music and once they come to the church the music prepares them for the word.  

But seriously people who want to be saved...don't usually come to church for the word.  They come for the music and are convicted by the word.  Those of us who are saved need to understand and accept  this and not get caught up in thinking that this is not so.   Don't be fooled about  your worth, the musician plays a major major major part in the service.  

My younger brother plays keyboard and is the Musical Director  for J.Moss and is currently on the tour with Yolonda Adams and his salary is presently about 2000.00 per week for approximately 2-3 shows per week for about 30- 49 minutes each.  

He was also offered a position as MOM/ MD to come at a very large church in Indianapoilis and the salary for that position is 100,000.00 per year

Most of the musicians here in New York charge about 150.00-200.00 per hour sometimes much more depending on the service and the size of the church or program.    

I was choir director and MOM for 8 years and my salary was only 25.00
My sister is MOM in Indiana and she makes 450.00 per week.

Prices vary according to where you are, the size of the church,  and who you are...let God lead you but I wanted to give you some clear monetary guidelines and advice about your worth.  

God Bless You,
Female Pastor
Romans 8:18 For  The suffering is not worthy to be compared to the GGGGLLLLLOOOOOORRRRYYYYY!!!

Offline Starlingj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Iron Sharpens Iron"
    • SmoothChords : Piano Lesson Video Tutorials

Salary Guide!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 07:07:33 PM »
Here is the Salary Guide for 2006 from the American Guild of Organists..

http://www.agohq.org/profession/indexsalary.html

Download it and check it out...

Offline MODERN_DRUMMER

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 01:11:32 AM »
good luck with the gig

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 07:34:04 PM »
You should be paid because it is a BIG job. A musician deal with a lot and some people don't understand that. I use to just sing in the choir and my sister was the M.O.M. My sister would always complain about how hard it was being a musician. I would look at her and think how hard could it be just sitting and playing. Well now I am experiencing how hard it can be and juggling my daily life.
You should ask to be paid. Be blessed on your new job and I will send a pray up for you.
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 05:14:52 PM »
Hello, I'm being interviewed today for a M.O.M. position. I have held this position in another church for a longtime without pay.  Now I'm married and have 3 kids and I believe that I should be paid for my services which include writing and arranging music, directing the ministry and playing my instrument.  I know that God's grace is sufficient for me but I also believe that each laborer is worthy of his salary.  Any thoughts are welcomed.  God bless!

SEE NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING BOUT RIGHT THERE!!!  Just be sure that besides the salary that the church is a place that would be good for your family as well. Im in the same boat. Best of success to you.
Im too tall to act small.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »
3rd-day, how did you come out? I really want to know. Hit me back! Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

kyrstal4christ

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 07:29:01 AM »
Well maybe the Pastor could take a lil money out of his Pastors Aid Fund and help u

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 02:54:53 PM »
When David played the harp for Saul, he was compensated for his work, as an appreciation, i don't believe that he was just playing for no reason, In 1st Samuel it explains the power of music how david's playing casted out evil spirits in Saul, and Saul was at peace, David moved up very quickly becoming the general in the army, i guess what i'm trying to get at, is that there is nothing wrong for being paid by playing, think about it, it's not only that we play for service but we also work hard and practice at home, upgrade equipment, keep up w/ technology, and our practice never ends... I agree with also getting a degree in music, you don't go to college just so your diploma can sit on a shelf, Just like a preacher loves his job to preach, and his goal is to do full time, he should get paid, the same w/ the musician, that loves to play and wishes to dedicate 100% of his time and services he should be paid.  And this is not just a hobby but it's a job and an occupation to some.  Throughout the Bible, God wants us to be properous, full of riches, and his glory.  What good is it for us to be broke christians, and don't have the the funds to travel across the land to minister with our music and teachings.

Offline rodzigger

• LGM Member
  • Rodney J.

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 10:38:15 PM »
I can only suggest that you put together a great proposal that includes pertinent info such as your experince and schooling. Let the Pastor know that at least they can bless you with honarariums to keep you motivated if you plan to stay there. It's really not fair because most churches regardless of size realize people at least need something for gas! You may have to reconsider ministries. There are far too many churches that are willing to pay and can't find a musician! An honararium has to be the 2nd option regardless of the church's financial situation....
Rodney J.

Offline sibusiso06

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 01:27:26 AM »
I have been a MOM/MD for 9 years at 2 different churches that my father founded. Inbetween, I was in Nashville playing for some churches down there. I have NEVER received a check from my father's church for any music that I have played. I directed the choir, led the songs, played the piano and organ (primarily), bass, guitar, and drums wrote the music, organized the choir parts. I just enjoyed doing it. Maybe some time down the line I will get compensated for the work that I do, but it is not a requirement. God has blessed me with this gift. Therefore, it is a privilege for me to do what I am doing.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I do NOT feel it is right for a church to request a musician to come to the church to play and not compensate him for what he is doing. (even gas money can go a long way today). I have turned down many churches b/c they always want me to play for them out of town, but they do not even have the courtesy to OFFER to give some sort of monetary satisfaction.

What I am trying to say is that money should not be the most important thing on the plate. However, it HAS to be on the plate. If they do not understand the work and labor that is being set before them, then you make the decision ACCORDING TO WHAT THE LORD TELLS YOU TO DO. I won't say leave the church. I won't say stay. God knows what is best and He will never lead you astray.

Stay blessed!
Worship, like love, can't be taught! It is birthed out of a greatful heart. Like a deer and water.

Offline adzidzor

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 01:40:06 AM »
It's just right that the Gospel Musician is compensated...financially....for whatever he does provided he has need of it. Some might say its a hobby, but to others its a lifetime job. Have you observed the special teatment secular musicians get when they play part-time for churches who lack Gospel musicians to fill-in the gap? Yet musicians of the faith are sidelined. Bro, go for it!

Offline timroy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Jesus is love...

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 02:34:06 PM »
Ludicrous?! ;D
Just believe...
Pages: [1]   Go Up