LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Substition 201: Alternate Bass Lines  (Read 3953 times)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Substition 201: Alternate Bass Lines
« on: July 09, 2003, 12:40:11 AM »
Normally, when playing devotional music, the most common progression is a 1-5-1 progression. This progression, sometimes, can be substituted for a 3-6-2-5-4 progression. Here's how:

LET'S GET STARTED:

A normal 1-5-1 progression in the key of Ab:

Ab(1)-C-Db-D-Eb(5)-F-Gb-G-Ab(1)

You can apply a 3-6-2-5-4 progression the following way:

C(3)-F(6)-Bb(2)-Eb(5)-Db(4)-C

....and applied to a melody:

C - What a
F - mighty
Bb - God
Eb,Db - we
C - serve

You can repeat this bass line pretty much through the whole song, changing it at key points where the melody breaks to a 1-4-5 or 3-4-5 progression.

These can be used with other songs like, "Victory is mine", "Praise the Lord everybody". The chords will just vary.

NOTE: I didn't post the chords on purpose. I'll let you play with the chords and figure out your own flavor to put to it. Post anything you come up with back here. Then, later, after a few posts are added, I'll show what I do. Also, don't use this constantly, it can be just as bad as using the basic way all the time, try switching between this and any other way that you come up with.

Offline bigdre

• LGM Member
    • http://www.transposerruler.zoomshare.com

good stuff always from b3
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 07:56:08 AM »
great stuff you have just posted. also do you know the first chord for god is an awesome god E / Bb (L) C / Eb / Ab - would this also be a good chord choice? if so praise him! but could you give more or another choice of chord here? Stay Blessed Young Man !!!

Big Dre Out!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 10:36:11 AM »
Two things I don't understand:

1. god is an awesome god (Our God is an awsome God?, God is a good God? I've heard so many songs, that sometimes I can't remember which is which.)

2. E / Bb (L) C / Eb / Ab (which is bass, left and right hand? and where in the song is this played?)

Offline ant-dogg

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 08:09:17 PM »
Thanks B.  I know this will help me and others .   My God continue to bless ya !

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

i need a little help!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 11:43:43 PM »
i dont quite understand what you wrote.......i never seen it like that before, i'd like to appreciate yur skillzzzzzz but i dont understand your writing of it, can you please help me to understand it better, so's i can get the goods you's diveing out! ty...lol
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 12:20:55 AM »
If you're having a problem understanding it, try going back and reading Hammondmans posts on scales and tri-tones. Since this is a 201, intermediate level lesson, you might have missed some steps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up