LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Female drummer....need help with something  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Lady_drummer06

• LGM Member
  • Musik is my life...Take it away and im dead...

New Female drummer....need help with something
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:52:28 PM »
Hey guyz and girlz. im a new female drummer and i waz wonderin wat peoplez opinion waz on like the best drum equipment? i have a DW(pacific) drumset right now. itz pretty kool. lemme kno.  ;D
Practice makes u better...Nobody's perfect

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

Re: New Female drummer....need help with something
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:08:57 PM »
its very subjective/opinion based as too what your favorite equipment is. some people like one sound where as others like another sound.

Offline Lady_drummer06

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:17:17 PM »
thank you for your answer :)

Offline djdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 10:23:32 PM »
Hey LD,
I had a chance to get a CX i think it was awhile back.
They look nice, but I think if I could get any set, it
probably be a Tama starclassic.  They have a nice
open tom sound, and a nice kick sound also.
There are so many to choose from, that you
have to just see what you like best. 

For Him, DJ

Offline depondrums

• LGM Member
  • GOD IS THE ONE AND ONLY JUDGE........

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 10:35:41 PM »
Hey like you said, it's pretty cool.
I PLAY TO THE GLORY OF GOD........

Offline ministryminded04

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:43:24 PM »
Just stopping by to give ya props on being a female drummer!!!! Yeah so am I.  And DW was the first set I got as a college present.  And they were good, and plus that is what Shelia E uses.

Be blessed
Stay ministry minded Stay focused!

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 11:09:54 PM »
Well coming from the contemporary christian genre... My ultimate choice would be the Pearl Reference kit with relevant hardware & zildjian A custom cymbals.

I'm coming across to gospel, slowly, but for gospel I'd probably be looking at something like Yamaha... not too sure what tho, coz I ain't really too familiar with Yamaha
as a drum brand which I'd match the same Zildjian A custom cymbals. ;D (Guys let's not start another Zildjian vs Sabian argument again!)

P.S. Yeah shoutout to all you female drummers doing big things for God. Keep doin your thang!

Offline Dr_Bates

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 01:28:31 AM »
man...yall are namin' some HIGH DOLLAR stuff in here. If you're just beginning, you dont need to go out and buy high end DW, Starclassics and Pearl Reference ($2,000+) and all that. Thats like when people buy Yamaha Motif's and Roland Phantoms when they're just learning to play the piano. Because it's great equipment, but thats what people play professionally to make a living off of. But they started off just like most of us did playing on those CB 700's or a 20 year old Pearl Export that they STILL have at the church.

And let me tell you, Pacific is a really really good choice. They sound really good, and their dimensions are such that you can position them however you want (tom positioning etc.). UNLESS you have the EZ set from Pacific, it might not last you and the hardware that comes with it is really flimsy. As far as cymbals, you really wont notice the difference in sound in entry ones and professional ones until you actually play on professional ones (Zildjian A's, K's etc...Sabian HHX, AA etc.) for a while. But as for entry ones, I think that Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste are great starts. I hope that helped.
Health, Wealth, and Peace of Mind.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 01:28:12 PM »
Hey guyz and girlz. im a new female drummer and i waz wonderin wat peoplez opinion waz on like the best drum equipment? i have a DW(pacific) drumset right now. itz pretty kool. lemme kno.  ;D

The PDP/Pacific kit i sa fine start, Especially if it is the Maple or the Birch. The older Pacific kits that were all Mahagony were just aight.

I suggest that you get you a good foot pedal at leat the PDP 602 Double-Chain single pedal to start. The Iron Cobras and Pearl Eliminators are your next level.

LEARN TO TUNE!!!!! Try various models of drumhead combinations (top/bottom) and different tunings. By Bob Gatzens DVD on Drum Tuning and practice it. Train your ears to hear the drums. YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST MOST EXPENSIVE GEAR IN THE WORLD AND IF YOU CANNOT TUNEIT WILL SOUND LIKE $2 GARBAGE.

Learn how to pull the sound out of any kit even when they are not in tune.

*** I am a GEAR HEAD/GEAR JUNKY but in the end it is all about the skill of listening and playing music be it a coffee can or a garbage can. There is one latin monster that plays with a cast iron skillet in his cymbal setup. He knows how to work that skillet. BlueMan Group know how to work those plastic tubings, Stomp, Blast, Airto and the list goes  ... Trilok Gurtu can take a cake pan and a bucket of water and put a drum machine out of work with the sounds he gets out of that can pan and bucket of water.   

Invest a good professional (B20 bronze ride) ride and then some professional crashes. Check out Pawn shops and Drum shops for used cymbals in the pro lines. Or you could go brand new and start with the more economic lines of B20 bronze cymbals could start withe Sabian XS20 line, Wuhan Traditionals or S Series.

Master your instrument, Master 4 way coordination, Master Stick Control, Master Polyrhythms, Master your sound, your voice... but don't be a slave to gear.

Here is a place to start your research of gear though if that is what you want to do:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Drums/manufact.html
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline bigbeatz_08

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »
Thats like when people buy Yamaha Motif's and Roland Phantoms when they're just learning to play the piano.

lol I know of some churches who have gotten Motif's and have NO-ONE to play it, and the pastor KNEW he didnt have any piano player!

but yea,

i like those pdp kits, i want one, sounds to me like your straight! Welcome!
Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

Offline C.J

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 07:24:27 PM »
My suggestion is a good old TKO drumset................................ ....................................... ....................................... ....................................... ....................................... .............................lol. jus playin first big ups to all the doc-ettas on the drumkits....... and imma pearl fan so any pearl like the pearl session would do u right

Stl in tha buildin

Offline Lady_drummer06

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
Thank you all for your imput. ;D ;)

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 12:31:15 PM »
You can also get a good deal on musiciansfriends.com....or even ebay
Pages: [1]   Go Up