LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a little problem I need help with  (Read 564 times)

hdmiami_04

Got a little problem I need help with
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:42:06 PM »
I got a little problem that i need help with. As some of u might remember I'm new drummer playing for my church and im the only one playing so there's no other music except for the drums. Our services are alot different than the services that ur probably used to. We sing some really slow songs and on top of that they drag it alot so its really different from alot of ther churches.  IM guessing since we havent had music in long time when they sing they dont stay on beat its like they drag alot of the songs and its hard to keep a steady beat and when i do get a steady by the middle of the song it starts to not sound right so its making me look real bad i dont even play fills anymore and i still sound bad sometimes. With the situation im in it sounds like im never going to get better unless we get some music and it doesnt look like thats gonna happen anytime soon. so  I was wondering if yall could help me out a little bit give me a little advice on how to play to some of these songs or something.  Thanks

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

Re: Got a little problem I need help with
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:31:09 PM »
Drums with no melodic instruments? There is something very wrong with that. Dennis Chambers couldn't make it sound better.

I suggest you stop playing drums until you get some musicians in thier. At least an accoustic guitar. They'll need some tempo so tell them you'll switch to some small congas or bongos. The best advice brother is to NOT play drums until their are other musicians that can come step in. Switch to something percussive. Tamberine, triangle, shakers, NO DRUMS BY tHEMSELvES!

Offline music-samurai

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »
Just play the drums in a very musical fassion.  It can be done and have a big impact on the service.  I have done it a couple of times and if you just play from the heart then you will be fine.  I usually turn the snares off and play as a percussionist.  Its kinda hard to explain man I wish I could demonstrate it for you.  Anyway I hope this helps you.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 11:41:20 PM »
I got a little problem that i need help with. As some of u might remember I'm new drummer playing for my church and im the only one playing so there's no other music except for the drums. Our services are alot different than the services that ur probably used to. We sing some really slow songs and on top of that they drag it alot so its really different from alot of ther churches.  IM guessing since we havent had music in long time when they sing they dont stay on beat its like they drag alot of the songs and its hard to keep a steady beat and when i do get a steady by the middle of the song it starts to not sound right so its making me look real bad i dont even play fills anymore and i still sound bad sometimes. With the situation im in it sounds like im never going to get better unless we get some music and it doesnt look like thats gonna happen anytime soon. so  I was wondering if yall could help me out a little bit give me a little advice on how to play to some of these songs or something.  Thanks

I currently play in a situation like that with a small ministry. This my second time in such a situation so here is real world experience/advice.

The first situation like this we did have choir rehearsals so I was able to get a grasp on the choirs feel. I also went and got the song s on the internet and learned how they really go when they have music. I was then able to lock my tempo and drive the vocals... You are "driving the bus". Undersatnd first that when vocals dominate (like situations like this) you have to keep what's called,floating time. This where you shift the time according to the vocal tempo subtly so that it is not evident. Do not fight the vocals because a vast majority of the time you will be in the wrong if for nothing else but the fact you are their to support the song.
You follow the choir director or whomever is leading the song... watch their hands and feet at all time.

Next thing Play the kick like its an upright bass and play the bass line of the song on the kick. Do not bury the beater in the kick , let it rebound instead so that you get longer notes/sustain out of it. This will give a sub woofer kind of bass sound similar to an upright bass. Also, swing the notes more instead of playing straight. Think bass player.

Rather than doing fills as normal on the toms use the toms in more of a jazz and/or percussion fashion to melodical enhance the groove in subtle 2-3 hit accents. Think congas or tenor drums (quads/quints) in marching band.

Dance/swing he hihat more. This is where the songs "attitude" comes from. Play it lightly and bouncy- sycopations, odd number groupings like 3s and 5s instead of driving quadruple 16ths notes. Slow church songs are mostly blues and shuffle based songs so learn to work 6/8 and 12/8 grooves, half time (4/4 time) shuffles (snare/stick click on "3" during all verses) on the chorus or bridge sometmies shuffle lightly on the snare (tat a tat...) or use brushes to get moore rhythm in. Swing/Shuffle the ride about 3" from the edge and use the bell for accents. PLay the hihat with the foot either straight quarter notes (1, 2, 3, 4..) or on 2 & 4 (especially when you are playing side stick/stick clicks and swinging the ride. Make sure the hihat is giving a good "chick" sound.

Blues, Latin Jazz, New Orleans Jazz (Rag Time, Blues) and Country will teach you how to work this type situation. Listen to this kkind of stuff. James Taylor with SteveGadd, SteveJOrdan or Russ Kunkel on drums. Break out the brushes and learn to work the buzz roll, multiple bounce and ghost notes.

Play the entire snare drum surface to increase/vary the different sounds you can get from it to fill up the "gap" of musical accompaniment.

Singing as you play helps you play these situations better. You know better where to place your hits and your timing improves in support of the song. It is not as froceful and abrubt but flows like water. If you worry about playing too much God cannot use you. You have got to be comfortable and confident in your playing first of all then let go and let God approve you. He will. I have been playing at this church for about 8 months and the movement/visitation has come more than a couple times.

Where I play I am on a Yamaha DTXtreme IIS electronic kit so I have congas programmed in on the hoops that I play sometimes instead of or in conjunction with my tom tom fills. I also programed chims and a cymbal roll on a couple of the hoops. On the 3-zone ride I have the bell of course, a lite ride with rives and no the edge of the ride I have a china programed. On the 2-zone crash I programmed a 17 fast crash and a splash on the edge (which I can choke). Basically I saying... Make it do what it do. Don't play beats as you are use to. Play music, play the drums as the percussion instruments they are and pull all the sound and textures out. Play rhythm and melody in SUPPORT of the vocals. *** The electronic kit does not save me. In the previous situation I played like this I was on a cheap acoustic kit with PowerStroke 4s on the snare and toms. So don't make excuses (not that you are) make Music. And be a blessing....

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker
Pages: [1]   Go Up