LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gerald "Freakin!!!!!" Albright  (Read 2446 times)

Offline jremon

• LGM Member

Gerald "Freakin!!!!!" Albright
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:24:07 PM »
This past weekend, Gerald Albright made his first appearance in Austin and I had the wonderful opportunity to go to the concert. I always knew how great of a player he was from all of the CD's I've listened to, but getting a chance to hear him live just blew me away. Everything about his playing is "freakin" phenominal. From his tone, to his technique, to his phrasing and articulation, to his mastery of the altissimo register, to his use of overtones and multiphonics, it was just incredible what he did with the horn. Of course, I left the concert hall wanting to practice for about 16 hours, but you feel that way when you hear a true master. So, once again, if you have the chance to attend any concert of one of your favorite players, DO IT!!!!!! It's great for the ears and it is extremely motivating.

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

Re: Gerald "Freakin!!!!!" Albright
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:55:24 PM »
Have you gotten his new album? It's entitled "New Beginnings." And it's worth every penny!! Man, 'Georgia on my Mind' will trip you out!! And the reprise. . .Wheeeewww!!!! :o :o It sounds like he's about to take you to church!!! Go get it!! Go get it!!

Disclaimer: 
I know this is a Gospel site, and that Albright does not play Gospel music. But I am a full-time youth pastor and I would NEVER tell anyone to buy or listen to anything that may jeopardize their salvation or make them fall. This album is about music. . . not words. I have listened to the CD and any words on there are harmless. There are only 2 songs with words, so you could do like I do and just skip over the ones that have lyrics. ;) But if you wanna learn some stuff and be inspired. . . go get this album!
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline jremon

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 11:35:13 PM »
Yes, I picked up a copy of the CD at the concert and I have been listening to it everyday. He is truly amazing and you are right. Georgia on My Mind is incredible. He did it as the closer to his concert Friday. I am in agreement with you, I do not want to hinder anyone's walk. This is about enjoying music at the highest skill level. In addition, we are always telling others that they should listen and incorporate ideas from master players into their own playing. There is no one better to listen to than Gerald Albright.

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 01:15:42 AM »
Yes, he is an amazing player. I still think his first version of Georgia was superb and the best. How do you think the new one  compares? I think the remix, if you will, is definitely a different flavor, but not quite as good to me.

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 04:12:43 PM »

Gerald Albrite ..is a very good player indeed ..the first time I got hip to Gerald was when he was on the back of Quincy Jones albums...thenext I saw em  was with Jeff Lorber Fusion....then on alot of BET specails playing with patrice rushen....He's alway on tv..playing with the house band...
THE UNIT

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 11:06:09 PM »
I see you guys are only scratching the tip of the iceberg. Remember that you must be rooted and grounded when listening to Gerald Albright. I listen to them all and still manage to keep Jesus as my focus. I've heard the "Georgia on my mind" cut. Yes it's the hottest sax thing happening.

Gerald Albright pretty much took a lot from Cannonball Adderly and Charlie Parker...he sounds like him.

Offline jremon

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 10:40:03 PM »
This post was just to acknowledge how great of a player Gerald is. It is always a good thing to listen to a true master of the instrument no matter what the style may be. I don't think that just by listening to his music you will lose your focus.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 01:12:45 PM »
Thanks for the info. My daughter is beginner. Something for her and I to research. Peace...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up