LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adlibing  (Read 2248 times)

Offline praznhim06

• LGM Member
  • Sing unto the Lord a new song... Psalm 96:1

adlibing
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:16:28 PM »
I sing in a choir but I am not to good at adlibing .  Can someone give me some tips?  I sing a lot of solos but I only sing them straight through no adlibs or anything .  help!1 ???
"Doing God's work, God's Way"

Offline praznhim06

• LGM Member

Re: adlibing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 06:21:37 PM »
Can someone help me? ???

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:50 PM »
Adlibing comes from alot of practice and the annoiting of God. You can do thisif you pray and practice and practice and pray.  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:28:42 PM »
Adlibing comes from alot of practice and the annoiting of God. You can do thisif you pray and practice and practice and pray.  Bishop Cole

Very good advice.....now if you are having issues finding notes that fit in the key the song is....ask your musician what key the song is in, find the notes that are in that key and just play around with different runs and things that sound good
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline praznhim06

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:58:59 AM »
thanks a lot

Offline Vangelist

• LGM Member
  • No Joy, No Strength *II Timothy 4*

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 01:20:30 AM »
Also, make sure you read the Bible. Obviously most gospel songs are directly related or influenced by the word or at least the should be. I've found that scripture makes for great adlibing. Using a concordance or topic dictionary will also help. Be Blessed.
I won't take nothing for my journey now. No turnin' back, no turnin' back.

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 09:18:41 PM »
I agree that it is an annointing from God. In order for me to sing a song, I have to feel it. It come all from your heart. You have to feel what you singing.
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline JMarible

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 12:00:26 PM »
I had this trouble also. I belong to a group and I wrote this great song. I laid down my vocals and then it was time for me to do the adlibs but once I got up to the mic, my mind went completely blank. I didn't know what to do or how to sound. Someone else in my group ended up doing the adlibs that time but, I made up my mind to get over my anxiety about adlibs because that's what it was. So what I did was get out some music from my favorite artists and listen to their adlibs not so much so to copy them but, to try to have a feel for my own style. I know sometimes for me, adlibs make me feel the song. My group leader told me not to think so much, just to feel, believe in what I was singing. :)

Offline Bruh Kell

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »
The best thing you can do is this-------------------Pray, Practice, and Pattern your style after somebody else.

And remember when you're ad-libbing it doesn't always mean you have to be doing crazy runs.........You can learn some nice moves to go with you runs. All of what has been said above my post will help also.
I Love You!!!

Offline msnoody

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 07:22:10 PM »
I have this very same problem.  I can sing, but I don't lead songs partly because I don't know how to adlib.  If I were leading a song, when it gets to the windup, I shut up, or either say the same thing, using the same run or melody over and over again.  Thanks for the advice everyone gave.  To the original poster.  I want to start leading songs, so I've started to practice in the car.  I'll turn on a song that's basically made by its adlibs, and not listen to the person leading the song but instead just sing it as if I were singing it in church on Sunday morning, and guess what?  Sometimes it actually comes out good.  Now all I have to do is get over the anxiety and fear of being front and center.  Hope that helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up