LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing with tracks! What do you like to hear?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: Playing with tracks! What do you like to hear?
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 02:22:36 PM »
If I have a wedge then I don't need to heaar my drums really, maaaybbeee some kick....  All vocals and other instrumensts.

If I have phones then I like to hear my drums and cymbals as well as all others. If there is a trck then I definitley like it turned up. I prefer playing with a live percussionist though. It allows the playing to flow better because they is an active "conversation" going on. 
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 10:02:51 AM »
I have a question for those who don't get yourself in the headset
is that assuming you can hear through the phones?
b/c the only time i did that i ended up playing to loud, using too much force, and ended up hurting myself and adding to stage volume because i could not hear myself

Interesting question. I've incorporated this element in practice. when I practice, I play to pre recorded music a lot of the time, so I'm not hearing myself as much as the other instruments on the cd. I've discovered that I like that same feel when it comes to live playing-- only hearing the drums acoustically works for me. Now, as far as dynamics, I had to practice controlling my playing even without drums in my mix. This required a lot of putting on and taking off of the headphones during my practicing to monitor how well I am controlling my dynamics. I eventually got it down to a science where I've learned how to recognize my intensity level and how well I'm accompanying the music (lively or mellow song) without hearing myself in the mix. I guess the gist of it is just as  you practice your dynamics without headphones or acoustically practice learning all the nuances of your dynamics without the drums in your mix.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 02:23:39 PM »
Interesting question. I've incorporated this element in practice. when I practice, I play to pre recorded music a lot of the time, so I'm not hearing myself as much as the other instruments on the cd. I've discovered that I like that same feel when it comes to live playing-- only hearing the drums acoustically works for me. Now, as far as dynamics, I had to practice controlling my playing even without drums in my mix. This required a lot of putting on and taking off of the headphones during my practicing to monitor how well I am controlling my dynamics. I eventually got it down to a science where I've learned how to recognize my intensity level and how well I'm accompanying the music (lively or mellow song) without hearing myself in the mix. I guess the gist of it is just as  you practice your dynamics without headphones or acoustically practice learning all the nuances of your dynamics without the drums in your mix.
Excellent input! Thanks!
Im too tall to act small.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up