LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie here  (Read 1395 times)

Offline yetpraise

• LGM Member

newbie here
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:35:50 PM »
hi all. i'm new to all - new to the site AND new to the bass. i own a lil one that i bought along with an amp but it just sits in my basement...i love the sound of this instrument and wanna learn to play so bad :( 

i can hear a song and know what the bass line should sound like or what the progression should be but i am just no good at actually playing...

i started taking lessons then i stopped (i guess  have no patience). i wanted to learn to play like right away and groove like crazy while at church or just listening to the radio - that wasn't working out so i stopped taking lessons lol.

seriously, what can u guys do to help a sister out? or should i jus put the instrument down and hope and pray that my son will become the great bassist/organist that i so desperately want to be?

(no i don't have any kids just yet but i hope they'll all be musicians :D)

please help...

thx

Offline sixstringpoet

• LGM Member
  • keep sound wisdom and discretion: Proverbs 3:21
    • 6stringpoet

Re: newbie here
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:39:54 PM »
welcome yetpraise, never give up. ;)

Offline Dtuned

• LGM Member
  • sr3500custom

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »
welcome sis,
yep just give it up and live the life you wanted through your kids ::) ;D

seriously,
if you can listen to music and place the bassline in your head you have awesome talents/gifts.. this will make you a tremendous bassists.

scroll down or do a search on Uriahsmusic on this site, he has posted many little tidbits that would help motivate you again and get you started, just take it easy it will come in time.. but you're allready ahead of the game if can place the beats..

rob
spirit check, testing 1,2,3...testing, testing. a scripture a day will keep the enemy at bay. :0)

Offline Saintlewis

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:03:19 PM »
Welcome my newbie friend.  Don’t give up “Walk by faith not by sight.”  You will be amazed at how far God will shape you into a great Bass Player.  Bass for Dummies & Mel Bay’s Electric Bass Method -1 are good books to start with. I took lessons for my first 4 months of learning to playing bass guitar. I improved much faster by playing with other people.  Learn to listen to other bass players.  I go to Guitar Center just hear the bass player’s talk about there bass gear, music, amps, lessons and anything and everything about bass. Also Uriah of http://www.uriahsmusic.com this man takes the time out to for the new and the old bass players with his anointed video clips.  I can go on and on about this man of God.  He is a true Blessing to this forum.  Check him out it doesn’t cost you anything. God bless.  My grammar is not the best.  Please forgive for my mistakes.  Saintlewis :)

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 05:45:17 AM »
hi all. i'm new to all - new to the site AND new to the bass. i own a lil one that i bought along with an amp but it just sits in my basement...i love the sound of this instrument and wanna learn to play so bad :( 

i can hear a song and know what the bass line should sound like or what the progression should be but i am just no good at actually playing...

i started taking lessons then i stopped (i guess  have no patience). i wanted to learn to play like right away and groove like crazy while at church or just listening to the radio - that wasn't working out so i stopped taking lessons lol.

seriously, what can u guys do to help a sister out? or should i jus put the instrument down and hope and pray that my son will become the great bassist/organist that i so desperately want to be? (no i don't have any kids just yet but i hope they'll all be musicians :D)

please help...

thx

So you say you can't play the bass but you can hear the bassline in a song.....

That right there is one step ahead of me when I started. Bass was not something I could hear outside of hiphop (no longer listens to) I had to train my ear and brain to pick out the bass line. It took me about 11 months to do that. I think you should go in the bassment and continue to do what you were doing. Lessons could wait but it can't hurt (maybe your bank account).

Then I would buy these books

http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?itemid=695778&order=1&catcode=00&refer=search&type=product&keywords=bass+scales+

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764524879/103-6053922-4744636?v=glance&n=283155

If you want to play then heres a great start.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:31:57 AM »
Yetpraise,

I'll "amen" everything that's been said and add a little twist.

Sometimes learning as a beginner can be a little.......tedious.  But it is still best to bite off small chunks of learnin' with a little spice thrown in from time to time and a real goal at the end.  What the heck does that mean?

There are a few REALLY cool songs that you could learn quickly that build on elementary lessons.  That's the spice part.  Follow the advice that MikeGee, Saintlewis, and DTuned have given you (that's the chunks of learnin' part) and when it gets to be boring, pick up the spice part again.

Have in your mind a song that you want to be able to play.  Something that you know when you get it, you can say to yourself proudly "I AM making progress".  That's the goal part.

When I started playing many many moons ago, I started learning from the Mel Bay books.  My "spice" song that a friend taught me was "Slide" by the group Slave (now you know how many moons ago THAT was).  This song basically has 3 notes and helps you build your timing.  My first target song was "Brickhouse" and when I got that one down, my next two target songs were "Strawberry Letter 23" by the Brothers Johnson and "Tune 88" by Jeff Lorber.  I still play the target song game to keep myself motivated to learn.

If you decide to try that route, my suggestions for "spice" songs would be

We Fall Down (just playing the simple progression)
You Are The Living Word
Thank You Falettin Me Be Mice Elf (old Sly & The Family Stone, and yes, that's the way it's spelled  ;D)
Slide

I'd be glad to show you simple tabs (fingering notations) for any of those.

As for the "goal", you'll need to pick those songs that you really want to learn and use everything else you work on as a way to build up to them.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:32:58 AM »
Welcome aboard, yetpraise!!   I must agree with everyone else here.  You are already starting off with talent, now just work on manifesting it in to actual playing (1 fret at a time  :D ).  I think we all want to be able too groove instantly, but that just doesnt' work like a microwave dinner  :D .  You gotta work at it consistantly, with or without a teacher (I suggest with a teacher).  Plus, if you have the time to put in over an hour of practice daily (some here practice 2 hrs), watch how quick you progress in skill and dexterity and such.  I think I do well enough, in most cases, but I can just imagine where I should be if I practice regularly.  Basically, do not put to sleep your passion for the instrument & its sound.  Let patience have her perfect work in you and tear it up on that axe, girl!   ;D ;D

Seeing you are in Baltimore, you should also check out the local sheds (jam sessions).  When I find out about them, I post the when & where on LGM.  It's good for motivation and networking too.  Also, send me a private note or email if you wanna get together sometimes.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:07:41 AM »
Welcome YetPraise,

I co-sign on what Malthumb said, and the Bass for Dummies Book that Mike Gee Recommended.

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 12:37:01 PM »
Welcome...there is alot of good stuff on the forum.  Looks like everyone has you started on the right path.  I would suggest beginning by practicing scales and learning the fingerboard.  Also try to learn a new song or at least the basic bass line to one new song a week.  I neglected that part of my practice and now I have a limited repretoire.

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 01:12:19 PM »
Welcome!  Never give up try to learn stuff you like and play that until you wear it out.  Then build on that.
"Even when you're justified, be dignified."  Cornel West

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 01:47:43 PM »
Also try to learn a new song or at least the basic bass line to one new song a week.  I neglected that part of my practice and now I have a limited repretoire.

I'm with you on the limited repretoire, dj .. i'm accustomed to playing my own thing where I fellowship, but lately we've been asked to play for some other visited churches.  They often sing songs played on the radio.  So now I need to listen to and learn more urban gospel songs.

yetpraise ... another tool I like using is the numerous exercises on activebass.com.  You can always change the metronome speed to your liking and then build it up as you progress.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 03:25:51 PM »
.....yetpraise ... another tool I like using is the numerous exercises on activebass.com.  You can always change the metronome speed to your liking and then build it up as you progress.

Ladybass brings up a point most of us take for granted.  METRONOME!!!  The bass and the drums are supposed to lock to hold down the rhythm.  We sometimes forget that and don't work on the whole timing thing as much as we work on the polished licks. (I'm including ME in that WE)  Use a metronome when you practice so that you get used to keeping precise time.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 03:33:52 PM »
malthumb, You said something that really made me think. Stand By Me by Ben E. King (which can be a God Worshiping song) Was my starter song.That I still play and love dearly. There is a lot that can be taught through a sinlge song. That's something to think about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up