LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When is it right to kick another drummer off the set?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

When is it right to kick another drummer off the set?
« on: April 17, 2006, 02:33:42 PM »
I have been to services before where the choir or the congregation would sing something and the drummer would have absolutely no idea what was going on. He would be playing a beat that would do the song no justice......

Would it be wrong for a drummer who knew how to play the song to get on the set and play? Is it disrespectful? Personally if I were playing a song and another drummer tried to get on, then I would be upset, but at the same time, he would be saving me....... Even though I have never actually did it, I have been very tempted to ask drummers who weren't playing right, if I could I get on...........
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

JFunky

Re: When is it right to kick another drummer off the set?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 02:49:17 PM »

...if the drummer obviously needs and "asks" for help than I don't see a problem with any of the other drummers getting on and helping him or her out.  Now if he needs help and doesn't ask, your job is to ask that drummer before attempting to grab the sticks.  If you ask and the drummers says "NO" then let the drummer be.  Some drummers have an ego problem and come in with a chip on their shoulders.(Sad but true)  They know they need help but don't want to admitt it.  You just have to ask if the drummer is okay before taking any action.  There's a thread on here about drummer etiquette that was really unique and helpful and I think we should practice those things that are stated in that thread.

Offline bigtexas210

• LGM Member
  • if u pay your musicans they will b on time

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 03:20:25 PM »
i know what u mean i know a drummer that can only play one beat and he play that beat for every song and on top of that HE THINK HES GOOD he even got some drum gloves and for some reason his church thinks hes the coolest thang out i look at the poeple if the people cool with it then ill let him finesh but if the people r maken faces then ill ask to play
i make it do what it do

Offline StraightPockett

• LGM Member
  • GO CARDS!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 04:13:33 PM »
i think it's right to kick a drummer off set if they're not in tune with the service. Yesterday (Easter Service) the spirit was high and the preacher wanted to have a praise break. The drummer that was on looked clueless, emotionless,...basically just like a rock. The whole time i'm asking him if he wants me to take over because they were ready to shout. He still insisted that he had everything under control. Finally the preacher stated that he was ready to dance. Everyone knows that's the cue to church it. He just sat there like a rock. He finally got up after the organist told him to get up and after everybody was looking at him crazy. BUT before he managed to clear the area he basically threw my sticks back at me.
Life is Good!

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 04:39:02 PM »
What happens at american idol auditions applies for musicians also!

You have people that are like "You lost a star. You're going to be hearing about me! You'll see me on top of the charts! I sound like R kelly mixed with Usher!"

Dilusion (sp?) Some people just don't have an ear what they really sound like. It's kinda sad lol.

Anyway, the congregation would see you go back their and take over right? If they can, that's a big distraction. Even though it would help out tremendously, I say keep the drummer the choir rehearsed with. If you see the body of Christ hurting, in this case the music ministry, you should sacrifice alittle bit and start going to rehearsals to help out.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 06:19:29 PM »
Yeah, I think you do have to be careful... It's okay kicking him off if he ain't in the right mind or feeling the spirit.
But if the audience notices the switch it could distract more than uplift the spirit or mood that the preacher is trying to create for everyone.

Offline Da1witdastix

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 09:48:58 PM »
i was bout to ask this question again last week..we had this youth explosion revieal and we had bunch of choirs to come on 1 nite..but i got heated cuz dude was play drums didn't kno how to hold the stick of nuttin.they did my boy song that he wrote (vicfirth93 dad song) the groove was like a latin beat he was playin a boom tap boom boom tap groove...i was about to litualy kick him off the set but i didnt in the middle of the song i waited till the music break...i want to kno if i was right 4 doin it
I don\'t need a month I make history er\'yday

Offline BigSid

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 10:15:22 PM »
This is a very touchy issue.  I know it's hard to sit and listen to a set knowing that you could absolutely destroy the cat on the set, but that isn't the real issue here.  If the audience is grooving, they may not even be aware that the drummer is playing the right groove or if he is playing on time.  Most of the time if the drummer knows anything at all he will know if he is off.  Most of the time I would say let him take his lumps because if he at least has a halfway dissent attitude he will learn from his ineffective playing and try to improve his playing.  This is the only way you can get better. You gotta take your lumps and grow.

JFunky

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:18:27 PM »
...I like what Audio stated because I was going to say something similar. I wasn't there so I don't know if you were right or not by kicking him off the set so to speak.  In the case of Youth Explosions, it all depends on what the program is and who rehearsed with who and who is the house drummer and if the choirs that got invited brought in their own musicians etc.  Youth Explosions are funny to me because it has a tendency on some occasions to turn into what band and choir is the best that night and yall know how drummers get.  ::)  I personally don't agree with that.  Anyway, if you rehearse a song with the band and another drummer is sitting there wanting to play it, you have to speak up and let him or her know that you guys rehearsed for the song.  If he doesn't get up, then there is something obviously wrong with him.  You have to be wise in these situations or it could get ugly if that drummer isn't thinking right.  Like I stated before, some of these cats have a chip on their shoulder.  It sounds like you guys are dealing with some of those.

Sidenote:
...when we have Youth Explosions at my church, the Guests do not play unless we know them and their playing style. Another thing is that the equipment is expensive and my Pastor is strict with us on our equipment. Usually, the guests get a part and they sing a song that everyone knows. 

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 10:48:03 PM »
Id ask myself how would I like to be treated if I was in that situation. Offer your help but don't do it so you make a scene! Leave the other drummer with his dignity intact, if he refuses step back its not your gig. We are all still learning no matter what level you are at! You make a drummer look bad, one day someone will come and make you look the same!!!!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline DeeMee

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 11:22:19 PM »
All I can think about is in the movie, "The Five Heartbeats", when Robert Townsend pushed that dude off the piano when he was killing the song..........."IS THERE A HEART IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT!!!!!!"

Offline porkpiepoppa

• LGM Member
  • i can do ALL things phil 4:13*

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 12:16:19 AM »
idk how a drummer can really not get up when they stinkin when i was younger i use to TRY to get off the drums to let the guest durmmer play so i could maybe learn somethin new now days my organist gets mad at me i dont like kicking drummers off sometimes i have to leave the santuary becuz some drummers make my favorite songs sound bad and im not even a judgemental kinda dude i do it in my head yes but i dont be like"aw hes weak i can murk him" but yeah i think if the drummer is REALLY horrible not if ur better then him but if he is like dragging or just messing up the flow of a song and you are positive its ok then yes i personally dont kick n e one off cuz its embarrasing and i feel like people think im tryna show the drummer up so i dont i dont like to embarres people cuz it use to happen to me alot when i was younger gettin kicked off in the middle of songs and stuff but yeah its ok.. i wouldnt unless someone told me i had to
<!-- Copied from MySpace.com -->
Find me on MySpace a

Offline depondrums

• LGM Member
  • GOD IS THE ONE AND ONLY JUDGE........

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 08:29:09 PM »
idk how a drummer can really not get up when they stinkin when i was younger i use to TRY to get off the drums to let the guest durmmer play so i could maybe learn somethin new now days my organist gets mad at me i dont like kicking drummers off sometimes i have to leave the santuary becuz some drummers make my favorite songs sound bad and im not even a judgemental kinda dude i do it in my head yes but i dont be like"aw hes weak i can murk him" but yeah i think if the drummer is REALLY horrible not if ur better then him but if he is like dragging or just messing up the flow of a song and you are positive its ok then yes i personally dont kick n e one off cuz its embarrasing and i feel like people think im tryna show the drummer up so i dont i dont like to embarres people cuz it use to happen to me alot when i was younger gettin kicked off in the middle of songs and stuff but yeah its ok.. i wouldnt unless someone told me i had to

I hear you man and I agree with you.
I PLAY TO THE GLORY OF GOD........

stalindadrummer

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 10:02:53 PM »
It's All about your approach.I have played for choirs i didnt rehearse with and i always ask the organist or i look at the crowd to tell if im playing right. Even though we all in the church the best way to not have these problems is to listen to all GENRES of music. Sometimes us drummers got to face Reality If you wack step your game up

Offline bigtexas210

• LGM Member
  • if u pay your musicans they will b on time

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 12:24:54 AM »
when i was younger they use to kick me off and thats cool cuz most of the time i was looking for some one to help me cuz i wasnt getting the song now when the song is over let me back on some drummers wouldnt let me back on now i think thats messed up show me what im doing rong then let me back on sometime i have to chatch my self cuz ill start out showing a drummer how toplay a song and i might forget that thats not my church and stay on and ill feel so bad nomore thing y is it that when u go to a drummer and u know there not that good and u try to give them some pointer they get mad thats crazy
i make it do what it do

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 02:29:42 PM »
My church is so different. Something like this would never happen, it would be considered rude. So alot of the churches you guys go to, it's just open like that? You could kick a musician off during a set? That's bananas to me.

Offline C1

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 02:33:10 PM »
That's crazy to me, too.  I've never seen anything like that in my area. :-\
ChannelOne

Offline billoved

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »
I have 3 older brothers and we all played drums but I'm the youngest so u know what that means I got kicked off "ALL THE TIME" but it also means I became the best...but if it's "your" church anytime is the drummer becomes a distraction "GET HIM OFF ASAP"  >:(   If u visiting a church grin and bear it unless someone in charge tells u get on...

p.s. It sounds like there are plenty of "seasoned" drummers on here so if u have someone who dont have as much experience as u first try to explain to them how to get better but if they are "hard headed" u just make sure u r on time to every service!!!!

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 06:03:19 PM »
Our MD would never ever telll someone to do that. And trust me, I wouldn't hurt to do it sometimes but, that isn't even a thought that goes around.

Offline soldieranointed

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »
Not a drummer, but I think that if they are at home, leave them alone!  If you are at home then that's a lil different.  If yall both aint at home well leave it up to the one(s) at home because they should have first dibs on the drums.  Now, if they are curtious, they would let u get on b/c ur are a guest...but then sometimes it depends on the part of the service as well.  What you don't wanna do is try to kick someone off b/c u can't stand how they play...that's just down right disrespectful  ;)
Much Luv!  Sista Starra
Pages: [1]   Go Up