LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help  (Read 774 times)

Offline jrdatrackstar

• LGM Member

I need help
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:02:21 PM »
I play keyboard by ear.....I've been doin it seriously off and on (almost all off and it shows) since 7th grade (I'm 19 and a freshman in college now trying to get serious to play for the Lord) and I think when I get in the spirit sometimes I do things that sound good but then i don't remember how to do it anymore. Another problem I have is when I read all the stuff on here that you all type out (like the basics and scales and stuff like that) or when someone would say stuff like "We're in the key of G or Bb minor"  then i dont know what it is by reading it but by hearing it I can play it....i think i can play almost every scale by hearing them (and i can read music too) Anyways I'll give an example of stuff I play....if any of you have heard the song by chris brown called "gone be my girl"   ( I apologize I kno this a gospel forum but I saw other posts about people playin R&B and other songs for gospel so I thought I'd use this as an example) these are the chord I play for it

LH/RH

1      GABDF#/A to B (like when you play a note and then the next one almost instantly i don't kno what it's called)

(^same notes as above for left being echoed by pedal or by hand if no pedal is available) / D

2.      F#AC#E/F#A

(^same notes as above for left being echoed by pedal or by held by hand if no pedal is available) /  E, then A, then C#, then higher E held for approximately 1 1/2 seconds), D

3.    EGBD/GB
                     (^same notes as above for left being echoed by pedal or by held by hand if no pedal is available) / B (the one being played by the left hand), then D (in that octave going up), then G, then AB (played together and held for approximately 1.5 secs) then A,

4.  ABC#E/ AB (played together and held for approximately 1.5 secs) then A,

4    DF#AC#/DF#AC#

5    AbBD/ after playing left hand and holding it for about 1/2 a sec play A-B (when you play a note and then the next one almost instantly), then D

6.   GABDF#/GABD

7.   F#AC#E/FA

8    FABE/GBD

9    EGBD/GB

10  ABC#E/GAB

11  DF#AC#/DF#A

I kno it looks very confusing and no one will probably be able to read it because idk how to translate it I will record it on my mp3 player and try to load it as a wav file on here but that is an example of how I play R&B....anyways I guess I  just want to kno how to play the chords like Jamal shows on his Urban Worship DVD but I'm scared to buy it because that is like cheating to me.  Any help would b appreciated thanks and i'm happy that God has blessed yall and everyone else who can play

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:43:16 PM »
What I sugguest you do first is start with Basic Music Theory for any key, then start at C and learn the Basic Music Theory for every key.  This information is located in the Music Theory room at this website:  www.musicianslearningcenter.com/music

This will show you what every note is, what a major scale is, chord names, etc.  Also, you can take a look at the other rooms to for valuable information to help you with your music goals.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up