LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How did you get started on the guitar??  (Read 5598 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

How did you get started on the guitar??
« on: May 01, 2006, 02:04:18 PM »
How and why did you orginally start playing the guitar??
:)

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

Re: How did you get started on the guitar??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
...i saw my 1st guitar on the snakecan game on wonderama...(a tv show)....the rest is history!

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 04:29:13 PM »
I saw a Fender Stratocaster and it was love at first sight.  I used to make my own guitar when I was little; it consisted of a wooden stick with a Strat shaped cardboard body and headstock taped to it.  It had two strings, the kind that you sew with and the "tuning keys" were can openers salvaged from discarded cans of corned beef.  Plastic bottle caps represented the volume and tone controls.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 07:19:02 PM »
I love the guitar because there is no other instrument that can bring out the emotions of the player like it can. When I first heard Eric Clapton, I knew it was for me...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 10:34:05 PM »
When i first saw PRINCE,THAT DID IT :P

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 02:48:20 AM »
a movie called "Crossroads".....about aguy who sold his soul to the devil, and his guitar player friend (ralph macchio) has a duel with the devils guitar player(steve vai) for it. when i saw steve vai, it was over, that's what i wanted to do. i sold my saxophone and got my first guitar the next day.

Offline Bizzy

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 08:14:56 AM »
Wierd,I played the Bass for years but always loved the sound of the guitar,,don't know why I didn't start out on the guitar in the 1st place. If I wouldv'e started on the guitar when I started on Bass I would be right there with URIAH AND GTRDAVE :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D..Saw my cousin play and GEEZZAASS he SQUEEZES THE NECK FO SHO.
Don't burn a bridge....You may have to cross that same bridge again!

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »
How? I used to hum along with guitar parts of songs back in the early/mid '70s...songs like "Jackie Blue", "Doctor my eyes", "Love Rollercoaster" (I love that opening riff), "Sara Smile" and a bunch more.
Then I'd take rubber bands and wrap them around the knobs of my bedroom dresser drawers and pluck them like they were strings.
Around when I was 11 or 12 my buddy Mark got a couple guitars and we used to play them and I started picking stuff up pretty quickly.
Then my parents got me a cheap acoustic...a Hondo II...and I played that thing for hours every day, picking up stuff from records and tapes and tv theme songs.

Why? 'Cause I thought is sounded cool...and I guess God had His reasons, too.  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline bjlane

• LGM Member
  • Real men lead from their knees.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »
I can't recall who or what inspired me, but I do remember standing at the alter (@ 8 years old) with my little hands in the air saying "Lord.............I want to learn how to play the guitar............in Jesus A-men".

My first guitar was plastic, with 4 plastic strings.  The guitar was bought/redeemed at one of those stores that you pay for stuff with those green stamps.  It was somewhat like this one:

http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/images/products/MUS0420.jpg

Man this topic has brought to my mind some fond memories. WOW.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 01:10:17 PM »
I can't recall who or what inspired me, but I do remember standing at the alter (@ 8 years old) with my little hands in the air saying "Lord.............I want to learn how to play the guitar............in Jesus A-men".

My first guitar was plastic, with 4 plastic strings.  The guitar was bought/redeemed at one of those stores that you pay for stuff with those green stamps.  It was somewhat like this one:

http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/images/products/MUS0420.jpg

Man this topic has brought to my mind some fond memories. WOW.

That cool(i want one) ;)

Offline Bizzy

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 04:02:38 PM »
Can u imagine bending the E STRING ON that Joint :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D..Man that does bring back some memories.
Don't burn a bridge....You may have to cross that same bridge again!

Offline GuitarGrover

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 11:31:37 PM »
Hi,

My uncles got me started. Dudes could play like fire..and never had a lesson a day in their lives.

GuitarGrover

Offline RedsFan75

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 04:05:13 PM »
Ok well... Showing my age a bit... I got started because Roy Rogers played the guitar.

My first Guitar was like this.

Funny thing was those were made of pressed cardboard, but they really had semi-realistic Nylon strings, and could be tuned, and I started learning to make chords on it.

I had an uncle that was an amazing Bluegrass player and could have done something with that ability and talent if it hadn't been for alchol. I got a classical later and then this same uncle got me a Kay Archtop. (About 6 months later he borrowed it and sold it on a drinking binge) After that I bought an accoustic that was horrid. (anyone remember the Hondo II's?) It almost turned me off of the Guitar, and I switched to the base for many years.

Now I have a 335 clone (See my pic) and am working on my Jazz stylings, Guess I really did love that Archtop. :D

Offline buddy_guise

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • BG

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 02:14:21 PM »
I started at 18yrs after I saw Babyface's video for "When can I see you again".  I love that song and I've always loved fingerstyle guitar.  I started for the ladies!!  It worked too! that's how I got my wife.
God Bless!!
~BG~

Offline sporty_43607

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
I was inspired by another female gutarist in my former church.  My pastor prayed over my hands and I picked it (the guitar) up and taught myself to play.  I began playing for the church and have been playing ever since.
I Can Do All Things Through Christ

Offline RONNIEJR99

• LGM Member
  • The beginning of something great.....

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 12:03:24 AM »
I'VE ALWAYS LOVED THE SOUND OF THE GUITAR. I ALWAYS MIMICKED THE TUNES IN GOSPEL SONGS. I JUST RECENTLY BECAME BRAVE ENOUGH TO PICK ONE UP AND NOW IT'S HARD TO PUT IT DOWN. I AM SO HUNGRY TO LEARN!!!!!!! ;) :o
FOR ME AND MY HOUSE, WE WILL SERVE THE LORD.

Offline mindolf

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 05:35:20 AM »
I remember we were in a revival in trenton NJ (my home town), I was sitting next to the pastors son and he took my fingers and placed them on the fret board as he strummed the strings.  I loved it every since.  I was about 8 years old then, but to my detriment I did not really begin to play until I was about 27 years old and now I cannot put it down.  I am not that good but I play in church as much as they will allow me mostly running scales.  So if anyone has a good video on guitar or has any ideas to improve let me know.  I wanna be the best that I can for the Lord. 

Offline dafretboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 05:51:47 AM »
My fire for the guitar started when I was ten years old.  When I saw Prince in Purple Rain, I was done!

I begged my father for a guitar and I played air guitar on a telecaster that I made from a poster board until I  ;Dgot the real thing.

My first guitar was  a Harmony electric. I loved the powerful roar of distortion and the rock riffs. I didn't get lessons then and I didn't

learn how to tune the thing so I played it for a while and went to other activities. It was just about four years ago when my wife

bought me a acoustic guitar for my 27th birthday. I got me a beginner fast track book and started teaching myself. Six months later

I enrolled at a local community college and got my associates in fine arts in music ( classical guitar ). ;D

Offline ibanezman

• LGM Member
  • Ibanez GRX40

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »
For me, it started when i was 15.  I always saw my dad playing bass as well as my church friends playin at service, but i never gave music any idea.  That changed when one day i turned to the BET JAZZ channel.  A show called Blues Biographies was showing,  and a man named Walter Trout on guitar and his blues group the Radicals were playing.  Man!!!!When I heard that man killin that guitar,  it was like a click in my head--i wanna play guitar.  Well, with no money, i borrowed my Aunts acousitc guitar.  I headed to the store and bought the book that changed my life--Guitar for Dummies(for real) ;D After some months passed my dad(not me) noticed how better i was getting.  He decided to take me to Praise n Worship rehearsil at our church.  I packed up the acoustic, and when i couldnt play any of the songs, i almost quit.  (the action on the acoustic was killing me, but i ddnt know about lowering the action at the time)  But praise the lord one of the sisters had a OLD(i mean OLD) squier strat that was tore up(it was her sons guitar, but since he couldnt play, she let me borrow it--not have it)  So that squier got me started playin in church.  Then the sister moved out of town and took the squier with her.  I decided to get a job and get my own guitar.  Any way i saved up a little and tried out guitars in the store.  Then i noticed the ibanez Jumpstart pack.  The guitar was perfect in my hands(i actually liked it more than a Strat)  i bought it and ever since then ive been playing my gorgeous red Ibanez GRX40 guitar.(see picture in the top left corner under the name IBANEZMAN)
Go to a store and buy an Ibanez.......

Offline katstrat

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 10:56:32 PM »
I started playing because I always like guitar music. First,the Beatles,I liked their stuff,"Yesterday" is my favorite of theirs.Then came along Neil Young and James Taylor,both god acoustic players.Then when I was thirteen I heard a guy named Jimi playing on the radio.The rest is history.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up