LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How did you get started on the guitar??  (Read 5594 times)

Offline loftudad

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • when a man finds a wife he finds a good thing

Re: How did you get started on the guitar??
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 06:59:47 PM »
Ever since I can remeber hearing my father playing some Charlie Daniels, and various sorts of music it gave me a passion for stringed instuments. I wanted to learn the violin but my parents couldn't afford one. So when I came into the military the first thing I bought was an acoustic gutair, it was very cheap and hard on my fingers to play. I never really gave much devotion to it though. Then recently after my divorce also the time I got saved I had alot of spare time on my hands and figured I would put them to good use. I have bought a Fender Strat custom edition and I love it. Then one day at church the pastor said if God has given you a talent then use that talent instead of hiding it. Which was very weird becasue I would never play anything for anyone. Now I sit in front of the church and let my hands praise the lord. By the way the first song I learned ho wto play was " I wish you were here" by Pink Floyd I love the solo in it! Lets keep on praising the lord! God bless
Giving my life to God is the best I can do, so I will make a noise of prasie!

ES7Mike

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 10:10:44 PM »
I got started on the guitar because my father played guitar and I was just so fascinated with t. I got my first guitar for christmas when I was five. it was a squier stratocaster. back then I would just mess around with, I didn't know what I was doing. down through the years I would mess with it here and there but I was concentrating more on the keyboard. It was because of guiarists like my dad, jonathan dubose, and others that inspired me to pick up the giutar again. before the summer is out, I should be playing like my father and this guy is a monster.

Offline thatguyro

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 03:44:39 AM »
I was lured to the guitar about 3yrs ago.  I was blessed by listening to the Guitarist thats with Shekinah Glory Ministry.  I was listening to the Praise is what I do Reprise and after that I was like I just have to have that thing, the funny thing about it, I used to hate the guitar, I thought when I was younger it was no need for it... Now you can't pull it out of my hands.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 09:26:56 AM »
This could easily turn into a long story but I'll try to keep it short and simple  ;)

A few years ago my brother got interested in the guitar and I had always wanted to learn to play the drums.  My parents started paying for him to take lessons and they found a drum instructor in the same music center so it worked out pretty nicely for us.  Over the years, he got tired of the instrument/practicing required to "grow" and has all but quit but I kept playing drums and started messing around with his guitar as well.

I eventually migrated over to playing bass but still have a soft spot for the electric even though I never really knew more than a few basic chords and whatever other riffs and could manage to hen peck out lol

Now that I know a little theory and more knowledge of stringed instruments, I'm thinking about actually learning more about the electric this time around.

God Bless,
-J

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member
    • http://www.itsmyurls.com/dspiffy

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 12:04:26 PM »
I started guitar when I was very young, in kindergarten.  Before that I was the kid with the tennis racket and the toy ukelele.  However I put guitar down for many years to learn keys.  I didnt really pick it up again until I was starting to produce some groups, and I could never find a guitar player that had the style I needed.  Most of the local cats only played quartet style.  So I said, "I'll hire board players and play guitar myself!" and I havent put it down since.

Offline hiryu3

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 07:50:28 AM »
For me it was a choice between guitar and violin since I play an instrument in all the other families except woodwinds. I normally play everything with a latin twist so why not play it for real

Offline melrhyne

• LGM Member
    • The Art Set

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 06:58:32 PM »

I first got hooked watching Don Kirschner's "Rock Concert" on Saturday nights as a pre-teen. Most, if not all of the groups were guitar oriented. The funk episode, on the PBS program, "Rock School", with Larry Graham's guitarist Tony Franklin is an early source of inspiration and hearing Jimi Hendrix' "Axis, Bold as Love" album. I was playing piano in church, by then, and was playing and listening to both musics. I became enamored with Allan Holdsworth's " Metal Fatigue" album. It's fusion. For guitar players it can be tough to listen to. Endless, beautiful lines, slurred, and swept! Amazing chord changes. Potentially discouraging. Then I found the album that changed my life as a player. "Still Warm" by John Scofield. Sco, he's a bad cat. He truly understands the sophistication of R&B, and delivers it through the hands of a jazz master. He Omar Hakim on drums, Daryl Jones on bass, and for all you keyboard players looking for those sugar voicings and speaking solos, the late great Don Grolnick. I LIE TO YOU NOT!!!!!!!!!
Please yall, check this album out. He made 2 other amazing albums "Blue Matter" produced by Hiram Bullock(a bad guitarist in his own right), and "Loud Jazz" with the incredible Gorge Duke. George Benson,Spanky, from Mighty Clouds of Joy(whom I had the pleasure of taking a 2hr lesson with!) Russel Malone, Jeff Beck,Pat Metheny,Mike Stern, Tony Macalpine, I could go on... By the way, though they are a bit expensive, it is worth checking out "good" guitars. Even beginners. For advanced players, there IS a point where the instrument can hinder what you are trying to convey. For beginners, no matter what you get, take it to a shop and get it set up! It will improve the intonation and the overall playability of the guitar. For the advanced guys, I like the Benedetto Benny (THE solidbody Jazz/R&B guitar), Moll, Buscarino and Comins archtops. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, but worth it. It feels good to save up for and finally own an artist grade instrument. Sterinbergers and Kleins are also cool. American STD Strats, and Les Pauls are cool too, but you've gotta search through a bunch of 'em to get that 'one'. God Bless, and just keep playing. You're already better today than you were yesterday!

Offline lilBB

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 08:42:09 AM »
i've always loved music and musical instruments, used to beat on any and everything, do the rubber band box deal, play the rinky dink 11 key keyboard, lol. but i really wanted to be a drummer. they were always out of reach financially, so i really didnt give any thought to an instrument again til i was 21. college buddy of mine was taking guitar at another nearby school, and i saw his guitar and watched him play. i knew he didnt have any kind of musical background, so i said if he could do it, i could do it too. started looking around that summer for acoustics at a consignment shop, which is all my pockets allowed. bout a $60.00 acoustic that was harder'n heck to play. i didnt know any better though so i just kept on with it. next summer i bought a yamaha electric starter kit. that was a brand new world as far as action and playability. rest is history teachin myself, picking up stuff from wherever i could. bought my ibanez semi hollow last year. got my first real amp last week (see my testimony in "my first gigworthy....)

i want to take this time right now to thank God for giving me the gift of guitar. it has been something that has given me peace when noone else was around. i pray that He uses it for the building of His kingdom in some kind of way. but you know what, even if it does not go beyond me playing on Sundays, i am eternally thankful that He blessed me with it. I love you Lord.

Offline ibanezman

• LGM Member
  • Ibanez GRX40

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 11:33:33 AM »
  I Then i noticed the ibanez Jumpstart pack.  The guitar was perfect in my hands(i actually liked it more than a Strat)  i bought it and ever since then ive been playing my gorgeous red Ibanez GRX40 guitar.(see picture in the top left corner under the name IBANEZMAN)

uh..just to clear things up..i really liked the strats, particularly the fat strats, (Mexican), but it was beyond my budget...i almost bought a squier($200) to compensate...but one of the store staff said they were having a sale on the ibanez pack(overstocked), and instead of paying $250, i would pay $150 :o(dont get me preachin') ;D....the ibanez was basically a fat strat with a faster neck(which saves my life during shout music), so thats the whole story....i didnt want to upset any strat players.....
Go to a store and buy an Ibanez.......

Offline dieogo

• LGM Member
  • That's My Boy!
    • Inner City Gospel

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 12:02:02 PM »
My interest in the Guitar came about the time Will Smith's movie "Ali" came out. I've always loved music but it's something about the music from the 60's that I really enjoy and the quartet music too. I was watching the movie and was just listening to how the guitar sound really added life and emotion to the scene. During that movie I said "I'm going to play the guitar". and Shortly afterwards I went to the pawn shop and bought me a guitar and amp. I've been playing since then. I know play in chuch and have been teaching myself. I've also found lots of useful information and help here on this site. Yall keep a brutha in your prayers that I'll improve and will be used in the music ministry and GOD see fit!..............dieogo

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2006, 12:52:34 PM »
I got my first guitar about three years ago for christmas.  I was first interested in the guitar when I saw the collaboration between Carlos Santana and Musiq. I was hooked on Santana's unique sound.  Even though the only instrument I ever played in my life was a recorder in the 2nd grade ( mary had a lil' lamb and hot cross buns   ;D) I was determined to play the guitar and play for my church.  It took me awhile to build up the courage to take what I had learned from lessons, books and practice into church.  I never knew any guitarists in any of the local churches, just keyboards, organs and drums ( and for the old OLD school a wire hanger and a scrub board  ;D).  But once I started playing and stuff, everything was awright.

Well that's my story!!!!

Offline kwilson27278

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »
I wanted to hang with my big brothers and they both played so the only way I could go with them is learn to play.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up