LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming Weekend Sheds....  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

Upcoming Weekend Sheds....
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:08:38 AM »
Hey LGM family...I will need someone to pickup the sheds for the next 3 weeks...I am leaving this weekend for Europe to go on vacation with the Mrs. and two other couples. I haven't had vacation at all this year so I am really ready to go.....I ask for your prayers for traveling Grace. We will be flying to Barcelona Spain and then taking a Mediterranian Cruise through Spain, Italy, England and France....My plan is to try and find some bass players or musicians during some of the stops....

I know I am going to go crazy not playing for two weeks.....
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

Re: Upcoming Weekend Sheds....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »
May God grant you, your wife, and the other couples traveling Grace.  Have a great time and be careful.  If your cruise ship has an orchestra, the smart money says the bass player is the leader.  My wife and I took a cruise last year and that's how it was.  I wish I'd had a chance to talk to him.

As for the weekend posts, I will do my best to get them up.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »
May God grant you, your wife, and the other couples traveling Grace.  Have a great time and be careful.  If your cruise ship has an orchestra, the smart money says the bass player is the leader.  My wife and I took a cruise last year and that's how it was.  I wish I'd had a chance to talk to him.

As for the weekend posts, I will do my best to get them up.

Thanks dhagler, yea I do plan on spending some time with the ship musicians too. I am not sure how these guys will be because my other cruises have been in the Carribbean so I knew they would have a carribbean band and an orchestra for the evening shows...but it should be interesting......I appreciate you holding down the shed for me...sorry I forgot to put one up this past week..with all my practices and trying to get things ready for my trip I didn't even get on the computer but I hope all had a great weekend shed for the Lord...

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:11:14 PM »
Thanks dhagler, yea I do plan on spending some time with the ship musicians too. I am not sure how these guys will be because my other cruises have been in the Carribbean so I knew they would have a carribbean band and an orchestra for the evening shows...but it should be interesting......I appreciate you holding down the shed for me...sorry I forgot to put one up this past week..with all my practices and trying to get things ready for my trip I didn't even get on the computer but I hope all had a great weekend shed for the Lord...
No worries about last week...we all have busy periods.  Last week my Jazz Ensemble played a concert and I did six of the 11 pieces, a highwater mark for me.  I enjoy gospel but my true aim is to become a jazz musician.  Church on Sunday went well also.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 03:02:30 PM »
I love that jazz/funk myself and play it as often as I can.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 03:08:33 PM »
I love that jazz/funk myself and play it as often as I can.
I'm not exactly sure what jazz/funk is, but the stuff I am playing is straight jazz from sheet music.  Lots and lots of walking, to be sure.  I read music but I don't SIGHT READ music, so it takes me longer to get my part down.  Not that I am discouraged; in fact my jazz is helping my gospel because it gives me runs that I incorporate into my church playing.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:23:09 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what jazz/funk is, but the stuff I am playing is straight jazz from sheet music.  Lots and lots of walking, to be sure.  I read music but I don't SIGHT READ music, so it takes me longer to get my part down.  Not that I am discouraged; in fact my jazz is helping my gospel because it gives me runs that I incorporate into my church playing.

I feel ya on the traditional jazz. I have been working on score sheets and learning to develop bass lines from the progressions. I used to sight read trumpet and sax back in the day but I haven't done it in so long, but I can sight read progressions but I am still not fast enough to develop complete runs but I am steadily working at it and your right, you can use them in gospel or any other kind of music....

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 10:34:32 AM »
I feel ya on the traditional jazz. I have been working on score sheets and learning to develop bass lines from the progressions. I used to sight read trumpet and sax back in the day but I haven't done it in so long, but I can sight read progressions but I am still not fast enough to develop complete runs but I am steadily working at it and your right, you can use them in gospel or any other kind of music....
One thing that I do find encouraging is that the progressions for jazz are not very different from the progressions for gospel and blues.  A lot of 1-4-5 and 2-5-1 progressions.  So for songs where the walks are really hard I can simplify as long as I stay in the progressions.  When I am first learning a song I play the first note of every measure just to get a feel for the progressions and to make sure I can stay up with the reading (repeats and codas were murder to me at first but now I don't get lost nearly as much).  Overall it's been a tremendous experience and I am fortunate to play alongside two excellent bass players, one of whom was my teacher when I first got started.  It's like getting lessons for free.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 01:30:42 PM »
One thing that I do find encouraging is that the progressions for jazz are not very different from the progressions for gospel and blues.  A lot of 1-4-5 and 2-5-1 progressions.  So for songs where the walks are really hard I can simplify as long as I stay in the progressions.  When I am first learning a song I play the first note of every measure just to get a feel for the progressions and to make sure I can stay up with the reading (repeats and codas were murder to me at first but now I don't get lost nearly as much).  Overall it's been a tremendous experience and I am fortunate to play alongside two excellent bass players, one of whom was my teacher when I first got started.  It's like getting lessons for free.

Being able to read music has definately shortend my learning curve for the bass. Little did I know that 20 years of playing trumpet and sax was really preparing me for my true love....BASS!!!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »
Being able to read music has definately shortend my learning curve for the bass. Little did I know that 20 years of playing trumpet and sax was really preparing me for my true love....BASS!!!
I took a little piano in my early 20's, and revived my reading when my kids started taking piano.  Reading the bass clef took a little getting used to, and notes above and below the ledger lines (is that the right phrase) still throw me a little.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »
I took a little piano in my early 20's, and revived my reading when my kids started taking piano.  Reading the bass clef took a little getting used to, and notes above and below the ledger lines (is that the right phrase) still throw me a little.

That has become a part of my weekly lessons to work on sight reading. After I go over it a few times slowly I actually memorize it...that is the one thing thank God that hasn't gone from me in my 40's is my memory...well at least for now... :D

I too had problems with the above and below ledger notes but I force myself to become familiar with them in order for me to grow....For me, I have come along way in 7 years..I am playing with groups and choirs and never had any intention..it has been fun especially playing for Christ...I have a long way to go..but the great thing is I love learning and applying something new.

Offline johnflindsey

• LGM Member
  • Our God is God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 08:32:54 AM »
Hey guys what are the week end sheds about?

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 03:03:59 PM »
Hey guys what are the week end sheds about?
The weekend sheds, which were started by Quebass86, are essentially a thread where we pray for one another going into the weekend (which is when most of us play).  We share stories about our weekend experiences, both good and bad.  In fact, Que has posted one for this weekend (it's dated November 9, I think).  Check it out, as well as others from past weekends.
Pages: [1]   Go Up