LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Bass Do You Play?  (Read 18155 times)

Offline trombonemandude13

• LGM Member

Re: What Bass Do You Play?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 11:45:25 AM »
I have no idea what I have but it says epiphone on it by the nuts..... it's a older flame red bass I just picked up from my church I just wanna to start playing,

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 02:41:19 PM »
Basses: Schecter Stilleto Elite 5
           Alvarez 5

Rig:      Peavey 900 amp
           Ampeg SVP-Pro Eq
           Peavey 4-10 Cabinet and Ampeg 15 cabinet

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 09:49:22 PM »

That's an awesome list man. 
Thanks!

Could you give a review of the Bongo? 
No.

Oh, all right....

I would use two words to describe these basses.  Power & Grace

Power comes from the 18V preamp.  It has two 9-Volt batteries to power the electronics, and that gives it some incredibly hot volume.  Sometimes that power is a bit much to handle.  The slightest tweak of the volume knob and I drown out my keyboard player.

Grace comes from the 4 band EQ (Bass, Lo-Mids, High-Mids, Treble). You can dial in tones from a very piano like clarity to an "I love hip hop" rumble.  The playability and balance of the bass are near perfect.  The back of the neck is painted, but it plays as fast as if it were a satin finish.  I've even heard that comment from people who swear by having satin finished or unfinished necks.

Just to give you an idea how sweet this bass is, when Music Man first introduced Bongos, I decided I didn't need to even try them.  They were (in my opinion) so butt-ugly that I couldn't be bothered.  There are so many great looking basses that sound great that I didn't care how good the Bongo might sound.  Then I saw one in person, and it doesn't look as ugly in person as it does (to me) in pictures.  So I broke down and played one at the GC in Buffalo.  There is only one reason I didn't buy that bass.  I would've had trouble explaining the extra case to my wife as we drove home from Buffalo to Detroit.  A 300 mile drive is a long way to get the silent treatement ;D.

The next time I played one was last Memorial Day at one of the Detroit area GC.  Went to their Blow-Out Sale to buy microphone cables for the church and played around with the one 5 string they had left.  I wanted to leave it there, but they dropped the price $400 and offered $0 down / 0% finance / No payments for 15 months.  So I've basically been playing this bass for free since then.  I have it up for sale with the idea that if it sells, I'll pay the bill when it comes and I will have played a really cool bass for a year for free.  If it doesn't sell, I'll pay the bill and I'll have a really cool bass at a bargain price for as long as I want to keep it.

I play it at church every now and then and surprisingly have gotten no comments on how it looks.  I have three 5 string basses.  If I'm gonna play some serious, finger poppin', rump shakin' 1970s or 80s funk (Gap Band, Cameo, Chic sorta stuff) this is the bass I'm reaching for.  Otherwise I'm reaching for my Alembic 5.  For a $950 bass to come in 2nd to a several thousands of dollars bass says a lot for the $950 bass.

Hope that rambling reply helped!!

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline Saintlewis

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 10:33:24 PM »
Wow you guys have so serious gear.  God is truly blessing his saints!  I play the fender IV.  I started on a fender squire P Bass for my first month of learning how to play.  Now I on the Fender jazz IV.  Saintlewis

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 10:46:51 PM »
Wow you guys have so serious gear.  God is truly blessing his saints!  I play the fender IV.  I started on a fender squire P Bass for my first month of learning how to play.  Now I on the Fender jazz IV.  Saintlewis

Okay.....but your picture shows a 5 string Jazz, not a Fender Jazz IV
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline Saintlewis

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 10:57:09 PM »
I have a Fender jazz IV string with active electronics

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0193560791

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 11:32:22 PM »
I have a Fender jazz IV string with active electronics

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0193560791

That's why I'm confused.  You say "Fender Jazz IV" which indicates a 4 string, but your picture and the web page you link to are Fender Jazz V instruments which are 5 strings.

Obviously not a big deal.  Just confused me a bit.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2006, 12:51:18 AM »
Thanks!

No.

Oh, all right....

I would use two words to describe these basses.  Power & Grace

Power comes from the 18V preamp.  It has two 9-Volt batteries to power the electronics, and that gives it some incredibly hot volume.  Sometimes that power is a bit much to handle.  The slightest tweak of the volume knob and I drown out my keyboard player.

Grace comes from the 4 band EQ (Bass, Lo-Mids, High-Mids, Treble). You can dial in tones from a very piano like clarity to an "I love hip hop" rumble.  The playability and balance of the bass are near perfect.  The back of the neck is painted, but it plays as fast as if it were a satin finish.  I've even heard that comment from people who swear by having satin finished or unfinished necks.

Just to give you an idea how sweet this bass is, when Music Man first introduced Bongos, I decided I didn't need to even try them.  They were (in my opinion) so butt-ugly that I couldn't be bothered.  There are so many great looking basses that sound great that I didn't care how good the Bongo might sound.  Then I saw one in person, and it doesn't look as ugly in person as it does (to me) in pictures.  So I broke down and played one at the GC in Buffalo.  There is only one reason I didn't buy that bass.  I would've had trouble explaining the extra case to my wife as we drove home from Buffalo to Detroit.  A 300 mile drive is a long way to get the silent treatement ;D.

The next time I played one was last Memorial Day at one of the Detroit area GC.  Went to their Blow-Out Sale to buy microphone cables for the church and played around with the one 5 string they had left.  I wanted to leave it there, but they dropped the price $400 and offered $0 down / 0% finance / No payments for 15 months.  So I've basically been playing this bass for free since then.  I have it up for sale with the idea that if it sells, I'll pay the bill when it comes and I will have played a really cool bass for a year for free.  If it doesn't sell, I'll pay the bill and I'll have a really cool bass at a bargain price for as long as I want to keep it.

I play it at church every now and then and surprisingly have gotten no comments on how it looks.  I have three 5 string basses.  If I'm gonna play some serious, finger poppin', rump shakin' 1970s or 80s funk (Gap Band, Cameo, Chic sorta stuff) this is the bass I'm reaching for.  Otherwise I'm reaching for my Alembic 5.  For a $950 bass to come in 2nd to a several thousands of dollars bass says a lot for the $950 bass.

Hope that rambling reply helped!!

Peace,

James

LOL @ "no"

I like your sense of humor man haha....great write up on the Bongo, I think you just made up my mind on my next "upgrade". 
I'd take yours off your hands if I wasn't a southpaw  :(

God Bless,
-J

Offline Dtuned

• LGM Member
  • sr3500custom

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2006, 01:05:32 AM »
man i hate roman numerals.. talking about confused i was confused reading both your posts.. ;D
i guess its late..

rob
spirit check, testing 1,2,3...testing, testing. a scripture a day will keep the enemy at bay. :0)

Offline Saintlewis

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
 ?/? Ooooops maithumb I guess should write my commits not so late a night.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2006, 01:20:11 PM »
?/? Ooooops maithumb I guess should write my commits not so late a night.

And I surely shouldn't be up so late reading ANYTHING.  My work day starts real early and I needs my sleep.

Anyway, Saintlewis, I went to the Michigan Guitar Show earlier today and they had a Fender Custom Shop Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass that looked exactly like your bass.  What's more interesting is that when I got there, Maurice Fitzgerald was wringing every possible note outta that thing.  Dude is awesome, to say the least.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline Saintlewis

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »
Wow malthump one day I believe I’m going to see some of these guys in action.  Up close and personal is how you can see and feel the movement of God.  It’s hard to find bass players who you can learn from.  This is the best site on the web for true fellowship.  I thank God for the comments and help.  God Bless Saintlewis.

Offline uprising_bassist7

• LGM Member
  • ''God is the mighty Lion in ZIon''

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 09:40:59 AM »
i play a simple 5 stringed yamaha ( lefty) it does the trick for now but im lookin for a 6 string so i can add another dimension to my playing
UpRiSiNg

Offline Flatwound

• LGM Member
  • Make a joyful noise!

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
Two Lakland Skylines. Daryl Jones 4 in pearl and 44-01 in 'burst. I really love these basses!!!
Gilden Creek Third Baptist Church, Pastor C. Wayne Bowser

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 01:26:21 PM »
i play a simple 5 stringed yamaha ( lefty) it does the trick for now but im lookin for a 6 string so i can add another dimension to my playing

That's awesome.  I'm happy to see a fellow lefty on the boards :D  You should check out the MTD Design Z4 and Z5....

I heard about it in another thread here did some research and found out that a 6 string model will be available later on this year (aug/sept).  I emailed Michael Tobias yesterday and he said that lefty models would be available as well around that same time (not sure if that time frame includes the 6) for a small upcharge.

Although they aren't exactly inexpensive, I'm sure they'll be high quality instruments!

God Bless,
-J

Offline dameon.mack@counsellor.co

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »
I am new to the game and I am still us my Ibanez GSR 200 which I love. I guess it is like that until you upgrade.
PEACE and GOD BlESS

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 07:36:14 PM »
Basses

Fender Custom Dinky Jazz 4 string
Fender 72' Resissue Jazz 4 String
Warwick BO Thumb 4 string
Warwick Custom SN Dolphin 5 string
Warwick Custom SN Dolphin 5 string Fretless
Warwick Custom Streamer Stage II 5 String
KYDD 5 string Upright 3/4

Amps

2 x Warwick Quad VI Heads (performance rig)
EBS Gorm ET 210 combo (practice/studio

Cabs

4 x Warwick W 411 Pro Cabs (performance rig)

Rack

Thurman Power Selector
Voodoo Lab GCX Audio Switcher
Line 6 Bass XT Pro
2 x Sennheiser Freeport UHF Wireless units
Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro

Pedals

Electro Harmonix Q-Tron
Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth
EBS OctaBass
EBS WahOne
DOD Bass Overdrive
Boss Octave
ProCo RAT

Floorboard

Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro (to control GCX Audio Switcher & all pedals)

A lot of this equipment will be sold off over the next couple of as is no longer needed because I am no longer a touring musician and I am planning to move from the UK to Dallas TX 2008.  Plus, you would not believe how much room this all takes up in my house!

Offline Dtuned

• LGM Member
  • sr3500custom

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 08:07:15 PM »
Basses
A lot of this equipment will be sold off over the next couple of as is no longer needed because I am no longer a touring musician and I am planning to move from the UK to Dallas TX 2008.  Plus, you would not believe how much room this all takes up in my house!

why are you moving to dallas tx in 2008?  also when do you plan on selling again?

spirit check, testing 1,2,3...testing, testing. a scripture a day will keep the enemy at bay. :0)

Offline rapunzel

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2006, 09:11:24 AM »
Fender Jazz 4 string
...Play skilfully with a loud noise. Psalms 33:3

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2006, 09:48:38 AM »
I'm new to LGM. But not to bass. :)

I currently play:

DP Custom 5 string
Schector Stiletto Studio 6
Jay Turser JTB5 5 string

For now my amp is a Yorkville XM200 with 15 extention.

I dont have any effects I've considered a couple of option. But decided against them
Because I like the natural bass sound.

Gambit  8)
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up