LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Bass Do You Play?  (Read 18160 times)

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

Re: What Bass Do You Play?
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »
why are you moving to dallas tx in 2008?  also when do you plan on selling again?

I am planning to get married.  My fiance is from the Dallas area, so we have decided to settle there after we get wed.  I have a couple of big projects to do to my home before I sell up which will take me another couple of years to finish off, so I have a few commitments to tie up before I get married and migrate to TX.

As far as my gear is concerned, the only items I will be taking to Dallas with me are my basses and pedals.  Everything else will be gradually sold off before I wave goodbye to my native land.  It will cost me a small fortune to ship all that equipment over the Atlantic.  I have been planning to down size my collection anyway because a lot of it is no longer needed.  I do mostly studio work now and a few small club gigs, so a wall of amps and cabs is not necessary anymore.

Offline yazakar

• LGM Member
  • The Greatest insrument alive!!!!

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2006, 01:59:01 PM »
4 fender p bass with 15watt fender rumble
There is only one God....

Offline sac45

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Ibanez500

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2006, 04:40:36 PM »
Schector  Yamah I have two basses 4 string
Hayward

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2006, 06:27:03 PM »
I have a EBMM 5, Peavey Cirrus and Warwick Corvette FNA 5. I don't play well but they are mine!  :D

Peace!!!!!!!!
"You can't glorify God and yourself at the same time"

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2006, 07:08:45 PM »
When I grow up I want to be like you all.  I play a Rogue LX205B and a Washburn T25.
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2006, 08:55:27 PM »
not a bass player but would love to be a decent 1, one day but i do own a 5 string Tobias Killer B and a 4 string Marcus Miller Fender Jazz im thinking about getting rid of my marcus for a decenct neck thru bass any suggestions

Offline praisebassist

• LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2006, 10:23:09 PM »
I thump on a Dean Edge Q4. For the money it's B-E-A-utiful!!! I would however like to get a fretless musicman someday.

Offline sac45

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Ibanez500

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2006, 02:49:57 AM »
Just Bought another Bass today. Stuart Spector Designs Professional Legend 4 Custom Series Bass w/ Quilt Maple Top in Amberburst w/ Gold Hardware. I twas for 400.
Hayward

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2006, 06:42:22 AM »
not a bass player but would love to be a decent 1, one day but i do own a 5 string Tobias Killer B and a 4 string Marcus Miller Fender Jazz im thinking about getting rid of my marcus for a decenct neck thru bass any suggestions

Peavey Cirrus and Schector seem to be the best affordable neck-thru basses.  Just curious on why you feel the need to have a neck-thru?

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2006, 07:15:38 AM »
bcuz everytime i play one it just feels so right i had one although it was a korean made toby it played great just the electronics was horrible. i brought in to a local music to see about replacing the electronics and the sales rep mistook it for a more expensive tobias and gave me a almost $900 in trade value so thats when i got the marcus miller

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2006, 12:56:30 PM »
bcuz everytime i play one it just feels so right i had one although it was a korean made toby it played great just the electronics was horrible. i brought in to a local music to see about replacing the electronics and the sales rep mistook it for a more expensive tobias and gave me a almost $900 in trade value so thats when i got the marcus miller

Okay, I get it.  Some people assume that neck-thru means higher end and better sound.  That's not necessarily the case.  Michael Tobias, who used to make outstanding neck-thru basses now makes outstanding bolt-on neck basses (MTD USA).  From my experience, bolt-on basses give you a stronger attack and can be manufactured in ways to accentuate the differences in various wood combinations.  Neck-thru basses tend to have more even sound and better sustain, since the sound and vibration doesn't have to travel across an air gap where the neck and body attach.  Neck-thru sound tends to be more dependent on the wood construction of the neck, since the bridge, nut and tuners that contact the string are all connected to the same wood structure.  The body woods have less to do with how the bass sounds with neck-thru instruments but can be a prominent factor on bolt-on instruments.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2006, 07:53:59 PM »
thats what im saying it has nothing to do wit it being high end but the fact a neck thru neck feels good my killer b which is bolt on neck sounds better but doesnt fell better

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2006, 07:54:25 PM »
i meant feel better

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2006, 08:46:44 AM »
For what it's worth, I play a neck-through Shector 5 string and have messed around with a Cirrus before....if I had the option, I would go with the Cirrus.

I just prefer the sound and feel of the Cirrus to my Stiletto 5.  I think it had a stronger attack and more versital tonal range than my Shector but the Cirrus doesn't come in a lefty model...

Just curious but what do you not like about the Marcus Miller?

God Bless,
-J

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2006, 08:50:56 AM »
actually i like the marcus alot but i like my tobias even more plus i wanted my neck thru to be a 4 string trust if i could afford to keep both and get my neck thru i would

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2006, 10:12:09 AM »
If you are near a Guitar Center, you should drop in today.  They tend to have some seriously live Memorial Day Sales.  Guitar Center tends to sell a lot of Schecter basses, so you might be able to get a great deal on a 4 or 5 string neck-thru.  Last year I got a Music Man Bongo marked down from $1,350 to $950 (they sell for $850 - 1,000 USED).  I also got it with no payments / no interest for 15 months.  So, basically, I've been playing it the last year for free.  If I sell it within the next three months, cool.  If not, I'll pay the $950 and have a great bass.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2006, 06:51:08 PM »
Okay, I get it.  Some people assume that neck-thru means higher end and better sound.  That's not necessarily the case.  Michael Tobias, who used to make outstanding neck-thru basses now makes outstanding bolt-on neck basses (MTD USA).  From my experience, bolt-on basses give you a stronger attack and can be manufactured in ways to accentuate the differences in various wood combinations.  Neck-thru basses tend to have more even sound and better sustain, since the sound and vibration doesn't have to travel across an air gap where the neck and body attach.  Neck-thru sound tends to be more dependent on the wood construction of the neck, since the bridge, nut and tuners that contact the string are all connected to the same wood structure.  The body woods have less to do with how the bass sounds with neck-thru instruments but can be a prominent factor on bolt-on instruments.

Peace,

James

I totally agree with what you are saying here.  The only thru neck bass I have ever owned and still own is my Warwick Streamer Stage II.  It's a great bass and I use it quite a lot for recording for it's 'hi-fi' tone.  I hardly ever use it live as it doesn't really shine through on stage as well as it does in a studio environment.  I always used bolt on basses for performance instead.  I prefer bolt on as I feel that they have a little more character.  Neck thru is longer high end anymore.  There are so many great basses that are bolt on these days.  Another great thing is that neck thru is much more available these days for a smaller pocket.  No matter what your budget you can pick up a great bolt on or neck thru for the same price and quality now, which is something that was very rarely possible when I first started playing many full moons ago.

I played a Warwick SN Dolphin for the first time whilst doing a demo for one of my ill forgotten sponsors 3 years ago at the Music Live show at the Birmingham NEC arena in the UK.  The neck is set half way into the body, so not quite thru neck.  It gives the best of both worlds.  You can get a really snappy bolt on tone with the feel of a neck thru.  The body is also semi hollow.  It has what Warwick like to call 'sound chambers' if memory serves me well.  Not also does it lighten up bass it somehow perks up the mids and gives a very punchy low end, just like a bolt on.  Warwick were kind enough to let me test it for the two days that I performed and I liked the package so much I ordered a custom 5-string model with my preference of wood choice before I left the show.  8 months later, I ordered another one!  It's a very unusual concept, but it really does work.  If you are caught in the middle of deciding to go bolt on or neck thru I would recomend giving one of these a test drive.

At the end of the day it's in the eye of the beholder.  Your style, your ears, your choice.  Play as many basses as you can and you will find your preference.  Both have con's and pro's, but neither is better than the other.  Your playing style and technique plays more into what works for you best. 

Obey your ears!!!

Offline 4x4Given

• LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
I suppose my rig is a "low" end one (pun intended).

2001 Alvarez A5EBC  (w/ Dean Markley Blue Steels)

Hartke Kickback 15

1978 Peavey Mk III 400 (up for sale)
1982 Peavey 215 (up for sale)
19?? Peavey 118 (loaned out)

Offline ptidwell

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    • http://www.inspiredwordministries.org

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2007, 10:19:22 PM »
Basses:
F Bass BN5
Custom Valenti 5
Frenandes APB-5

Amps:
Aguilar DB750
Gallien-Kreuger 2000RB

Cabs:
Epifani UL-310
Epifani T-115
Acme B2 (Pair)

Edit:
Basses:
MTD 535-24
MTD 635-24
Nordstrand vJ5 PJ/JJ
Skjold "Lions Pride" EC5 (On Order)
Skjold "Lions Pride" (Fretless PJ5 On Order)

Rack:
Korg DTR 2000
Shure ULXP Wireless

Amps:
Stewart World 2.1
Alembic F-1X preamp
ThunderFunk TFB550-B

Cabs:
Epifani UL-115
Epifani UL-112 x 2
Epifani UL-210
Acme B2 x 2
Ampeg BA-115
Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
http://lophatcabinets.com

Offline ANuPlaya

• LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2007, 03:47:49 PM »
Rickenbacker 4001(old model) and waiting on a New 4003.
Will step up to a 5 String one day.
Giving God the Glory
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up