LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: how you dress  (Read 5419 times)

jamella

how you dress
« on: May 11, 2006, 03:01:56 PM »
grace and peace,

:o when some of you read this topic title, you said "ouch!" but you ain't seen nothing yet. im 15 and i wanna how do you dress when you go to church? church is not a fashion show so why do some people treat it like it is? nor is church a club, so don't dress like it. another question for those of you that are a part of a ministry, do you ever think that the way you dress effects worship? if you wear something to church that you would also wear to the club, don't wear it. i may be young, but i know what and what not to wear to church. i know its gettin warmer out since summer is approaching, but please be mindful. and tell your children (especially teens) to be mindful also. when ever you're on your way to church, ask yourself, will my outfit effect worship? but remember, it is not about your cloths, but your soul.

B_XALTED

Re: how you dress
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:31:53 AM »
I hear you sis... One thing that bothers me though about the younger sets is that they wear clothes that they would wear to clubs... Don't get me wrong, but older ones do it too... but I know that a lot of what our youth does, they learn from example. Me personally, I wear suits... I am not into BIG HATS, but I do love nice suits. Culturally, in the church, I think that people feel that it is only ACCEPTABLE to wear stockings, NO PANTS (women), and ties (MEN)... I am not too much familiar with whatever customs there are, but I was raised to always have on a skirt and stockings. I play the drums, and it is hard, but I always have a hankie on my lap.

I like what you said about the weather too... I mean, that should go for outside of church too... If you are acceptable in the house of the Lord, you should be acceptable outside because you represent Him... You could be a tremendous example to other young folks... 15 is not an age where I would ASSUME that kids want to be suited and booted for church... But they should strive to be ACCEPTABLE in God's sight...

Folks get that phrase 'come as you are' mixed up... truth be told, it means come to Christ as you are. Don't get me wrong, if all you have is some hotpants and a halter top then come on in, but if you have a choice between a long skirt and less provocative blouse... then...err... umm.... well, You should go for the ACCEPTABLE approach, YES YES YES it does affect worship. Not only would it be a sexually suggestive thing to have cleavage popping out, ya thighs all out... Skirt so tight I can see your food digesting, but it is a distraction because people are talking about you... "I can't tell you what the service was about, but gurrllll, did you see Tameka in that skirt"...lol... LGM should open an Attire Room... so that people can be sure what is acceptable to wear or not...

Whewww, a lot can be said on that topic... a lot.

jamella

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:25:18 AM »
 ;DAT LEAST SUMONE FEELS ME OUT THERE. I REALLY APPRECIATE THE COMMENTS. AND I FEEL WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT YOUR CLOTHS SO TIGHT THAT YOU CAN SEE YOUR FOOD DIGESTING. IF YOUR EVER IN THE OHIO, LET ME KNOW SO YOU CAN COME TO NEW KINGDOM WHERE WE HAVE A YOUNG PASTOR THAT BELEVES IN YUONG PEOPLE.

Offline SingerfromRome

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »
Hi Brothers,
here in Italy things are working different. To be a christian doesn't mean to dress wonderful clothes during the sunday. But here there are other problems like to have old people in the church that don't want to hear gospel music especially if it's in english toungue... even if I always give next to the lyrics the translation.

I think that the problem is not the way you dress, but what you have in your head and your soul...

... don't look at all the things that cares about materiality... look at Jesus and you'll realize that all things will start to work!
My Pastor always tell me DON'T TALK ABOUT GOD TO THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT, TALK ABOUT THOSE PEOPLE TO GOD! And I think it's a wonderful solution!

Much love
NiCko

Offline an_etonian

• LGM Member
  • On tour in Japan; practising for a solo!

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 05:00:05 AM »
Hi all; I am slightly different as I sing in a choir here in England...

That is me on the picture on the left; taken last Sunday after Mattins and just before Holy Communion,
I love:
César Franck
C H H Parry
Ousely
Tallis.

Offline Ransome-notez

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:21:30 AM »

Folks get that phrase 'come as you are' mixed up... truth be told, it means come to Christ as you are. Don't get me wrong, if all you have is some hotpants and a halter top then come on in, but if you have a choice between a long skirt and less provocative blouse... then...err... umm.... well, You should go for the ACCEPTABLE approach, YES YES YES it does affect worship. Not only would it be a sexually suggestive thing to have cleavage popping out, ya thighs all out... Skirt so tight I can see your food digesting, but it is a distraction because people are talking about you... "I can't tell you what the service was about, but gurrllll, did you see Tameka in that skirt"...lol... LGM should open an Attire Room... so that people can be sure what is acceptable to wear or not...

Whewww, a lot can be said on that topic... a lot

This is very true because a preacher can be preaching, musician playin, chior singing, and all it takes is just one person to come in church "lookin like they aint change cloths from the club lastnight" and they will throw the whole service off track. Trust me ive been there. im so glad that my girlfriend dosent dress provocative i might be young but you still have to have respect for the house of GOD!!!
[/quote]
To god be the glory
U.S Forever

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »
im 15 and i wanna how do you dress when you go to church?

Personally, I believe you should dress comfortably.  If you trying to impress people wth what you're wearing, then you need to put something else on.  If what you wearing gonna hinder you from giving God praise, then put something else on.  People are gonna look at you no matter what you decide to wear, so stop focussing on how others are gonna view you.  Let God direct you in what you should wear.  Just my opinion!!

Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

B_XALTED

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »
Personally, I believe you should dress comfortably.  If you trying to impress people wth what you're wearing, then you need to put something else on.  If what you wearing gonna hinder you from giving God praise, then put something else on.  People are gonna look at you no matter what you decide to wear, so stop focussing on how others are gonna view you.  Let God direct you in what you should wear.  Just my opinion!!

I feel what you are saying, but in too many cases, people take comfortable... to a different level... My pastor allowed jeans, and then the girls wore them too tight, the guys wore them too low... so to cut down on having soooo many stipulations, we just say NO JEANS!!! Comfort is key, but if you can dress nice to a wedding or to a concert, then surely you can give God your best... and look good... Not to impress others though...

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 02:40:36 PM »

I was going to post something but " T-Block" said all what I was going to say....... ;D.......Sooooo true "T-Block"...... ;D

PianoWiz...

Offline Ransom

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 05:40:51 PM »
 :)hey i feel you too but alot of times it thiers parents who dont even care about how their children dress when the go to chruch so it is telling them not to respect but refrence it
umm i know how u feel you shouldnt always have to dress up nin a siute every sunday but if u gionna were some jeans or something make sure it 's iron and a nice cuasual shrit but notice if u feell that it's gonna effect your worship and priase you need nto not wera it so good can use you.It's like going to a movie threater and a suite nothings wrong with it because you have your own style but u would look out of place that applys to chruch and your worship
 ;) love and bless ransom   keep bringing the fire I'm 16 
so i truely feel u on that one

Offline TheClef

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 12:46:56 AM »
I'm definitely postmodern in my opinion on this one. I think ministry is about God and the people. So, I wear clothes that deflect the attention from me and put it on God as I'm serving the people.

That, for ME, simply means, nothing revealing, and nothing really flashy. So, I wear suits all the time, but I'm not ashamed to worship in linen pants, a dress/casual shirt, and flip flops.

It's all about whether God is satisfied with my look to the people. And as his mood changes, so does what I wear to minister.

jamella

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 08:40:56 AM »
GRACE AND PEACE,

I FEEL WHAT YOU ALL ARE SAYING. BUT IF THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE THAT FEEL THIS WAY , WHY IS THERE STILL A PROBLEM IN THE CHURCH WITH IT? I BELEIVE THAT WHEN YOU ARE A MINISTRY, MORE SO THE CHOIR, THAT THE CHOIR SETS THE ATMOSPHERE FOR WORSHIP. SO MANY PEOPLE ARE LOOKING AT US, AND PAYING ATTENTION AT US DURING WORSHIP. IF WE DO SET THE ATMOSPEHERE FOR WORSHIP, WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE BELEIVE THAT OUR CLOTHS DON'T CHANGE THE ATMOSPHERE? IF PEOPLE SEE CHOIR MEMBERS WORSHIPING, THEN THEY'LL FOLLOW SUIT. IF PEOPLE SEE CHOIR MEMBERS WEARING TOO TIGHT CLOTHS, AND LOW RISE JEANS....... I BELEIVE THAT IF YOU DEAL WITH SOME OF THESE ISSUES AT YOUR CHURCH, THEN BE A LEADER AND DRESS APPROPIATLY. AND I'M NOT SAYING DRESS UP EVERY SUNDAY BECAUSE I DON'T, IF I WERE TO TELL YOU TO DO SOMETHING THAT I DON'T THAT WOULD MAKE ME A HYPOCRITE AND THE CHURCH IS FILLED WITH ENOUGH OF THEM. NEXT TIME YOU ARE PICKING OUT YOUR CLOTHS FOR WORSHIP, ASK YOURSELF IS MY OUTFIT GONNA EFFECT WORSHIP?

Offline Fantom

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Corey B ~~ San Diego CA
    • Just Us Butlers

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 10:56:35 AM »
COME AS U ARE IN MY OPINION WAS NOT INTENDED FOR THOSE SAVED AND SANTIFIED ALREADY, BUT MORE SO FOR THOSE LOST COMING TO CHRIST.  ONCE THEY LEARN/TAUGHT HOW TO DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR CHURCH THEN THEY WILL.  I LIKE TO DRESS IN A VARIETY.  SOME SUNDAYS IN SUITS, OTHERTIMES CASUAL.  OUR CHURCH HAS A DRESS DOWN SUNDAY (JEANS ETC...) AND ALSO 'SWEATSUIT" SUNDAYS.  AND IT WORKS WELL.

BUT AT SOME CHURCHES U SEE ALOT OF FOLKS OUT THERE IN COMPETITION. WITH THEIR BIG HATS, SUPER BOLD PINSTRIPE SUITS (RED, BLUE ETC...)

BUT DRESS COMFORTABLY (NOT REVEALING) FOR CHURCH.

B_XALTED

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »
COME AS U ARE IN MY OPINION WAS NOT INTENDED FOR THOSE SAVED AND SANTIFIED ALREADY, BUT MORE SO FOR THOSE LOST COMING TO CHRIST.  ONCE THEY LEARN/TAUGHT HOW TO DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR CHURCH THEN THEY WILL.  I LIKE TO DRESS IN A VARIETY.  SOME SUNDAYS IN SUITS, OTHERTIMES CASUAL.  OUR CHURCH HAS A DRESS DOWN SUNDAY (JEANS ETC...) AND ALSO 'SWEATSUIT" SUNDAYS.  AND IT WORKS WELL.

BUT AT SOME CHURCHES U SEE ALOT OF FOLKS OUT THERE IN COMPETITION. WITH THEIR BIG HATS, SUPER BOLD PINSTRIPE SUITS (RED, BLUE ETC...)

BUT DRESS COMFORTABLY (NOT REVEALING) FOR CHURCH.

I used to wear big hats...lol.... and my dad was the king of peach suits and turquoise gators.... so i know what you are saying, on the real... i agree with the dress for the new converts... and okay you come the first sunday dressed like who shot john, and then the church should take that as an opp to learn if that person has decent attire and such... then they can learn to come to church dressed for church...

Offline Fantom

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Corey B ~~ San Diego CA
    • Just Us Butlers

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 01:34:02 AM »
I HAD MY PHASES TOO WITH THE SUITS  ;D I HAD A NICE PURPLE SUIT AND I THOUGHT IT WAS BANGING!! THEN I GOT MARRIED AND MY WIFE WAS LIKE "U AIN'T GOIN TO CHURCH WITH ME IN THAT!!" SO OFF TO THE NEAREST 3 DAY SUIT BROKER (HEY, THEY GOT NICE SUITS FOR CHEAP).

BUT NO MO PURPLE SUITS FOR THIS GUY

Offline restored lifepastor

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 07:29:10 AM »
                       i greeet you in the name of the  lord .i would like you to understand one topic.The bible says we should be like christ. but when the betrayer came the romans had to distinguish him with a kiss. so do you think its ironic that they could not differ him from the people of his group so i think we should not come in a suit and tie every sunday or saturday but you should not come dressed to where the deacons try to holla at you so dont let the doctrine of your church dictate what you wear .what i have picked up on in my spirit is that you  are in a church of tradition  alot of churches try to scare you they make people beleive that how they dress will send you to hell but the word of god states that alll you have to do is confess that jesus is lord a beleive in your heart then you are saved

B_XALTED

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 04:50:45 PM »
I don't think that people let the doctrine dictate how they dress.... Back in the days when my parents and grandparents and their parents were in church they had on suits ties dresses... They were always presentable. Has church changed so much in that sense? I get where everyone is coming from... But I think that culture's view on things says suit, tie, dress,nylons... I personally think that things get too simplified and laxed. In my opinion, there is less turmoil and confusion when you say 'suit and dresses' than when you say 'casual and comfortable' BUT unfortunately, there are sooo many views on the topic that we would never come to a conclusion. Sad but true... I think that the best thing to do is to ptay for those who refuse to be presentable... And not ridicule them... You don't ever want to drive people away because of how they dress... And someone said its okay to wear a suit to the movies... That is true... But if it is easy to do that, what is the difficulty in wearing a suit to church? If we can get dressud up for the club, you know... No jeans no sneaks... And get dressed up for parties and we do all we can to make it to these insignificant venues, then why not do it for God???

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 05:33:36 PM »
God is with me 24/7 so that means to me putting on a suit is for show God gets no glory by me buying an armani

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 10:48:59 AM »
It's not just jeans that they are wearing tight and low, but skirts and dress slacks too....

Seems like this subject is popping up everywhere on this site.  Some of these answers that we are getting are making it seem like the church is the only place where God can get some Glory.  How are you dressed when you pray before you go to sleep; how are you dressed when you are singing in the shower; etc. etc.  I say dress the way in church the same you would at any 'tasteful' public place.  For me, the outfit in my picture is what I wore on communion Sunday.  I usually sit out from the choir on that Sunday because that's the only Sunday in the month where the praise team does the whole worship service.  I wore jeans, which was still very tasteful (with a belt and on my waist)......

The only issue with dress that should be is if you are in leadership and you are required to dress a particular way.....other than that, do what you want, just be tasteful

We finally agree!!!!yea!!!!!!!!!!

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »
We finally agree!!!!yea!!!!!!!!!!

I don't make it my attempt to try and disagree with you....
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up