LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Professional Transposers.....  (Read 21765 times)

rjthakid

Professional Transposers.....
« on: May 11, 2006, 04:22:35 PM »
A Pastor from another church asked me to come play the drums for him on Good Friday, because his drummer couldn't.  I went.

Toward the end of the service, his guitar player was playing the keys.  After service was over I said: "man you need to stop all that transposing!"  But I said it PLAYFULLY.

You see, he's one of those guys who can ONLY play in C, and Transposes to everything else.

Homeboy lost it.

"There's nothing wrong with transposing!  Some big-time musicians on tour transpose!"

"Man, you just started playing music.  I've been playing for years."

Homeboy said I disrespected him.  He even told my Pastor that he'll never play with me again.  That if I walked into their church and got on the drums, he'd pack up and leave.   ::)

What a baby.

But it brought up a question......

How many of you think it's ok to transpose?  I've only been playing for a few months, and I'm busting my butt to learn how to play in every key because I'm learning the Organ.  MOST Organs don't have transpose buttons.

Do you think it's ok to transpose?  If so, why?

Offline Bruh Kell

• LGM Member

Re: Professional Transposers.....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:10:53 PM »
Learning to transpose is cheating yourself.

How can somebody think that it's okay to transpose?
I Love You!!!

Offline Pianist84

• LGM Member
  • La Pianista

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 05:25:20 PM »
It's not okay to transpose. Using the transpose button on the keyboard or digital piano prevents you from learning how to play in all twelve keys.
"Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy." ~Psalm 33:3

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 05:35:01 PM »
i was told cedric thompson does but i dont know that first hand but it did come from a reliable source

CATRON

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:46:18 PM »
READ MY SIGNATURE.
               IIIIII
              IIIIII
              IIIIII
              IIIIII            
              IIIIII
              IIIIII
              IIIIII
              IIIIII
=================
 ================
  ===============
   ==============
    =============
     ============
      ===========
       ==========
        =========
         ========
          =======
           ======  
            =====
             ====
              ===
               ==
                =

Offline Drumma-Sheen

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 06:19:13 PM »
Im not a board player but I know plenty of them who are down right fluent in every key and they still transpose for one reason.......they are lazy!!!!!

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 06:20:45 PM »
now i do know this one cat who use transposing as a learning tool. if the song at church was in Eb he would transpose to a key he wasnt good at yet and learn like that

Offline MsB3

• LGM Member
  • Its all about JESUS

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 07:19:40 PM »
Ah man that was rude for you to tell him that when yo dusty tail just startin out!! thats just like tellin twinkie not to do a studio project....yea i didnt get that one either.....but in other words get some respect and let the man be
GOSH24 -YOUTUBE

Offline ministert

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »
Well Said

organ man1990

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 10:43:04 PM »
I think that if you do not know your keys yet, you need to touch that transpose key just yet. Obviously if it was not okay to transpose, they would not have a "Transpose Key" on the piano in the first place. Anyways like i said. I think that you don't really need to mess with the t-pose button until you at least know how to play ALL the Keys. I use to play on transpose in service UNTIL i practiced to play the real key on the piano/organ pad. You really need to play real keys starting out so you don't have to look stupid cuz the guest piano at the other church doesn't have a t-pose button. But if i juz play around on keyboard or play keyboard in service, I (might) use the button. but i really don't think it's a big deal of using the button. Just as long as you are truthfully trying to know how to play. "He that hath an understanding of this comment, let him do so"

Offline reggiejanisian

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 11:20:39 PM »
im guilty of transposing myself im starting not to though as i make progress in other keys once i get my keys together i will stop but for now transposing has been a good friend of mine i hate doing it sooner or later ill stop my friend teaching me theory and scales and stuff so it will help me with other keys holla.................

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 01:03:46 AM »
I know a couple of habitual transposers, too.  They play everything in C and use the transpose key to get what the correct key.  IMO, transposing is only cheating yourself if you don't know how to play in that key.  It also cheats your ears because what your fingers are hitting aren't what your ears are hearing.  The problem is when it becomes a crutch; it'll bite you in the rear when someone sits you down at a real piano.

Offline Big_Al

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 09:22:36 AM »
Everyone who transpose, is a loser. Straight-up! You cheating yourself, and disrespecting musicians who took the time to learn each key. Transposer can't read, thus selling him/herself short.

Try this
Give a transposer sheet-music of a song that modulates, then ask his/her to play it on the organ.

Stop transposing .... its lazy, and weak.
All That I Am, I Owe to the LORD.

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 11:18:57 AM »
Here's my interpretation of transposing. The transpose feature is there to be used, but not abused. When I first started playing, I transposed almost all the time. The only key I could play in was G, and a little in C. And I was told the same thing, don't take advantage of the transpose button. Over last 6 years I've learned every key that we use in church. C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, and Bb. The remaining keys we have NEVER used and when we learn a new song thats in a key we don't know, we transpose the sheet music in the next available key. Even songs that are written in keys we know we usually end up changing anyway because it's too high or too low. So IMHO, learning a key I'll never use almost seems reduntant because if its never used, I won't remember the things I learned in that key. But for the record, I haven't used the transpose button in probably 5 years.

So my point is, if you're just starting out on the piano, the transpose button will help you along, but don't use it so much that you depend on it. While you're transposing in church services, learn how to play in the keys you want to learn during your practice time. If you want to learn all 12 keys, take 1 month for each key. Say in June you want to learn the key of Db, take that whole month and every day take some time out to sit down and play songs in that key. Then in July find another key you don't know and do the same thing.

I'm not going to tell anyone to learn to play in all keys because I don't know every key myself. But at least learn the keys that you know you'll be playing in the most and go from there.

Offline Ransome-notez

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 11:45:58 AM »
Ah man that was rude for you to tell him that when yo dusty tail just startin out!! thats just like tellin twinkie not to do a studio project....yea i didnt get that one either.....but in other words get some respect and let the man be
foreal thats not kool!
To god be the glory
U.S Forever

rjthakid

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 01:26:35 PM »

First of all, I was kidding!  I wasn't attacking him. 

Secondly, by comparing telling someone who ONLY PLAYS IN C not to transpose, to telling Twinkie not to do a studio project, you're clearly not thinking straight.

Offline Muziqmann

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 01:46:45 PM »
foreal thats not kool!

I would not have told him how I felt about him transposing, even if I wasn't serious.  Just learn his mistake.  TRANSPOSING IS CHEATING AND IT DIMINISHES YOUR SKILL AS A MUSICIAN!
When the minstrel played, the hand of the LORD was upon him.  II Kings 3:15

Offline 1achord

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 01:52:51 PM »
A Pastor from another church asked me to come play the drums for him on Good Friday, because his drummer couldn't.  I went.

Toward the end of the service, his guitar player was playing the keys.  After service was over I said: "man you need to stop all that transposing!"  But I said it PLAYFULLY.

You see, he's one of those guys who can ONLY play in C, and Transposes to everything else.

Homeboy lost it.

"There's nothing wrong with transposing!  Some big-time musicians on tour transpose!"

"Man, you just started playing music.  I've been playing for years."

Homeboy said I disrespected him.  He even told my Pastor that he'll never play with me again.  That if I walked into their church and got on the drums, he'd pack up and leave.   ::)

What a baby.

But it brought up a question......

How many of you think it's ok to transpose?  I've only been playing for a few months, and I'm busting my butt to learn how to play in every key because I'm learning the Organ.  MOST Organs don't have transpose buttons.

Do you think it's ok to transpose?  If so, why?

I personally never transposed. I think it limits your ability to play in all keys and use the entire board. I don't know too many musicians that do it. But, to each his own.....

Offline 1achord

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »
First of all, I was kidding!  I wasn't attacking him. 

Secondly, by comparing telling someone who ONLY PLAYS IN C not to transpose, to telling Twinkie not to do a studio project, you're clearly not thinking straight.

What I've learned over the 15 years I've been playing is...musicians are sensitive and territorial. I admit to having these flaws myself. :) Our egos are sometimes easily bruised because people are going to say what they want. I stopped trying to please folks.

Offline alquarles

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Guess where....lol
    • Grace Emmanuel Church

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 02:13:46 PM »
I agree that you have to learn how to play every key but on the other hand I can understand that sometimes you may forget and do what you have to do so you don't interrupt the flow of service. 
It's time to LET GO and LET GOD....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up