LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Professional Transposers.....  (Read 21770 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Professional Transposers.....
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 02:14:05 PM »
I think my signature says it al:

REAL MUSICIANS PLAY IN EVERY KEY!!!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline unauthorizedpoet

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »
:-\Man I play board and organ and drums, I am one to tell you that FIRST CEDRIC THOMPSON can Kill almost any song in EVERY KEY! ORgan And Board! But any way i would not get all offended at the man or woman who tranposes but i know for a fact that it does limit you when you in a service were you dont have one! It also cripples you musically! But I can read music either! So am i a loser too? I can play in all 12 keys and left handed on organ with some chords but  does that make me a loser like the other person said in another post?
ACTS 2:38

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 02:55:56 PM »
But I can read music either! So am i a loser too? I can play in all 12 keys and left handed on organ with some chords but  does that make me a loser like the other person said in another post?

It depends on if you transpose or not.  What we are talking about here is people who have to tranpose EACH and EVERY song because they can only play in one key.  They can't or won't take the time to learn to play in every key, and they become dependent on that button for them to play. 

For those of you who don't use transpose, don't start because it is like an addiction.  It becomes easier and easier to hit that button, and at the same time it becomes harder and harder to actually sit down and become a REAL musician by learning every key. 

The only acceptable time to use transpose is if it is up or down an octave.  Sometimes you have to transpose a keyboard up an octave to get the very high sounds, and sometimes you need to transpose an octave lower to get those deep bass sounds.  Other than that, don't ever, ever, ever use it.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline jomo7

• LGM Member
  • JOE SANDERS

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »
I can play in all my keys execpt for E
I do it all for his glory

Offline whitemichael

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »
I have to say that I disagree with the try a key for the month....it is best to just get down to the niddy griddy and learn them all back to back...it is easier to learn 6 keys for a month...than the same key for a month...Trust me I tried the key for a month...and I got bored...but then I started learning all new songs in there original keys and also taking a song such as pass me not...and playing it in all 6 keys that chose to work out in that day.  Then I eventually did the other 6...then I started doing the same with all twelve keys....I still do the same thing to this day...not really a real song just something I may decide to make up...don't be lazy...:-)
"To blessed to imagine..."
Mike White

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 12:16:25 PM »
I used to transpose, every blue moon, if there wasn't a bass player, but I haven't in about a year. I chord in all my keys fluently, but can't do bass runs in all my keys that well. For the past 4 years, my eyes have opened up to a lot of chord variations, because I've been practicing all my keys. (I use the one key per month method though.) Anyway, back to the point, even though I do feel that transposing hinders your ability to play well, I don't agree with calling someone a "loser" because they use it. That's being mean-spirited to me. If they want to use transpose, it's on them. It doesn't hurt me. People just like to make themselves look better than other people. I'll steal chords from a transposer, just like anyone else! ;) ;) ;D ;D

rjthakid

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 08:28:18 PM »
I would not have told him how I felt about him transposing, even if I wasn't serious...

That musician is just overly sensitive.  I found out afterwards from his pastor that he left the church for a little while because he said the keyboard player "disrespected" him.  He also told his pastor that the bass player from my church "disrespected" him by telling him he wasn't playing in time with the music. ::)

Some people are just overly sensitive.

I make no apologies for his girly feelings!!!   :-X

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2006, 09:47:57 PM »
I don't think you did anything wrong.  Like you said he is over sensitive if he can't criticism.  With music, comes critisim, whether is constructive or not.  I think that the transpose button should have never been invented.  Because of the transpose button, we musicians have discussions like this.  I encourage you to practice and learn how to play in every key.  I'm a keyboardist as well, and I know how the transpose button can hinder you, so just continue to practice and you'll master every key.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2006, 11:53:06 PM »
im gonna use my transpose button tomorrow

Offline ministert

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 12:56:08 PM »
Everyone who transpose, is a loser. Straight-up! You cheating yourself, and disrespecting musicians who took the time to learn each key. Transposer can't read, thus selling him/herself short.

Try this
Give a transposer sheet-music of a song that modulates, then ask his/her to play it on the organ.

Stop transposing .... its lazy, and weak.
I thought this site was for leaning and encouraging fellow musicians in the lord not resulting in calling your brothers and sister in christ losers I joined LGM to learn and fellowship with other muscians in Christ, how about telling that person to pray and ask Go to help them in thier playing  instead of calling them a loser or lazy, God Bless You and God Bless everyone on this site.

Offline Drumma-Sheen

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 12:58:11 PM »
im gonna use my transpose button tomorrow

lol

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 01:12:56 PM »
I thought this site was for leaning and encouraging fellow musicians in the lord not resulting in calling your brothers and sister in christ losers I joined LGM to learn and fellowship with other muscians in Christ, how about telling that person to pray and ask Go to help them in thier playing  instead of calling them a loser or lazy, God Bless You and God Bless everyone on this site.

Im strugguling in playing in all my keys to.I need to get a chord book and learn all the scales.It is wrong to call someone a loser because they use the transpose button.
Shannon moore

Offline 1achord

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 02:25:26 PM »
I think we've established the fact that calling someone a "loser" or anything else that may be construed as "negative" is WRONG. If a musician wants to transpose, it is their business. Let's just share our honest opinions without bashing a "fellow musician".

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 02:54:07 PM »
i transposed for like half the service but i am happy i did becuz it help understand the key of D a lil better.

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 04:53:48 PM »
First off, I've never transposed. I was trained classically on a piano and just started playing keyboards a couple years ago so I was fortunate enough to be able to pay for lessons all my life. I'm not knocking anyone who transposes, but it bothers me because it feels like people aren't interested in learning more about their craft. You have to force yourself every day that's what being a musician esp for Christ is all about because its about excellence for the EXCELLENT ONE. We aren't perfect and we never will be, but there's something you can learn everyday by studying music. Playing in all keys makes your fingers feel like magic you have so many possibilities in improvising. Also there won't always be a keyboard at every service you play at you must be able to accompany anyone in any key at anytime, it takes practice, but we must strive for excellence.
I encourage anyone who transposes to work on playing their major scales, just to start out, it will help you grow. As a musician if I can think of something that I can't do, it makes me want to conquer it even more. The Levites played skillfully……just my thoughts. Be blessed!
All to Jesus I surrender and Humbly give my life

Offline cop2comic

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 06:27:49 PM »
First post, bear with me...

Church organists should be about MINISTRY. If somebody sings a song in E I will not sit there and struggle just to adhere to my personal lack of ability. If it's a choir song and something that I have worked on then it is unexcusable for me to transpose, but the holy spirit is spontaneous and doesn't adjust to the music so I believe we should do all that we can to adjust to the spirit.

I do what I've got to do to get the job done, although it's no excuse for hard work.

BTW I don't transpose...usually. ;)

Offline Freddy229

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 07:23:10 PM »
Well, keyboard geniuses...transposing shouldn't be so taboo here. I mean, guitar players do it as a practice!! We shouldn't judge one another on how they play as God has given them ability...I do also hate jammin to another board player all day and sitting down tryna follow only to find the board set 5 keys away >:(.

About those musicians on tour...there may be plenty of them out there, but they know how to not show that they are transposing and make the show sloppy!! Most musicians on tour are seriously killer though! I think about how some of the best singers in the world have a moment where they start singing in another key( hoarse, or just not hearing the right pitch) I remember being at a recording and the artist started their own song in another key!! The band played on with her in the new key but he stopped the song and found the right key!!

As an organist, it is cool to just sit back and be able to play whatever key is thrown at you!! So, practice and when you see somebody cheatin on the keys...push em off the board/organ, set the key right and play like the gig is yours!!  ;)

Offline stanthemusicman

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 09:13:44 PM »
I think my signature says it al:

REAL MUSICIANS PLAY IN EVERY KEY!!!

This is correct, real musician do play in every key. Transpose in your mind not with the flick of a button. 

I would also like to say that the guy who start this topic was out of order, even if you were just joking.  The fact of the matter is you did not know him like that to make that comment.
Let brotherly love continue.

Offline alquarles

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Guess where....lol
    • Grace Emmanuel Church

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2006, 08:27:18 AM »
First post, bear with me...

Church organists should be about MINISTRY. If somebody sings a song in E I will not sit there and struggle just to adhere to my personal lack of ability. If it's a choir song and something that I have worked on then it is unexcusable for me to transpose, but the holy spirit is spontaneous and doesn't adjust to the music so I believe we should do all that we can to adjust to the spirit.

I do what I've got to do to get the job done, although it's no excuse for hard work.

BTW I don't transpose...usually. ;)

I totally agree.  Everyone here is not at the level where they may feel comfortable playing in every key.  That's not saying that they shouldn't practice to get there.
It's time to LET GO and LET GOD....

rjthakid

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
Transpose in your mind not with the flick of a button. 

I would also like to say that the guy who start this topic was out of order, even if you were just joking.  The fact of the matter is you did not know him like that to make that comment.

Nonsense. 

I asked homeboy to play in ANYTHING except C, and he started sweatin.  Talkin about: "Well, I'm not really a keyboard player, I'm a Guitar player."

Then in the next breath telling me how many YEARS he's been playin the keys.   ::)

Years?  And can ONLY play in C?  Look, as a drummer, I've bought several DVD's and spent time practicing.

As a future Organist I'm doing the same.

We live in a society that's become so dang "Politically Correct"  that even GOOD criticism is not accepted. 

I said it playfully, when no one was around, and in an attempt to get him to expand.  Maybe no one ever asked him to learn how to play in every key!  It would be beneficial to him as a musician. 

I said it playfully KNOWING that if I said it harshly he'd get offended.  Guess what?

He STILL got offended. 

So please take what I said as an attempt to get a fellow musician (who I've known for about 4 years, and I've played with several times) to branch out......Not as an attempt to pull him down.

No half-steppin.

Excellence.  Dedication.  Evolution.

You don't have to be GREAT.  Just try to be.......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up