LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW?????  (Read 3916 times)

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

HOW?????
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:42:05 PM »
Hey Guys,

I may be a keyboardist/pianist but I'm asking my extended LGM family to help me out  :D.

I have a fellow musician who is trying to play alto sax and has asked my help. He has seen my talent grow and he was asking me what was my secret. I stated that it was prayer, practice and the help of my extended family on the Internet who advise, teach and inspire upcoming musicians

I don't play alto sax at all and as a keyboardist I have found a lot of help playing and progressing my talent via gospel keyboard dedicated websites, that offer instructional videos, audio clips and much more.

Can a few sax players help a fellow member out by posting some tips or hints on how to learn gospel sax, any websites that you found useful would really be appreciated

Thanks

PianoWiz…

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

Re: HOW?????
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:12:54 PM »
I wish there was a fourth of the resources available for horns and saxes to that of bass, guitar, and piano. I haven't found much on tips with playing gospel guitar. The best advice I have been given was find your favorite gospel sax players and those you can take some licks from and transcribe and transpose, study those pentatonics as well. I will be watchin this thread, because I am interested to see if there are any other sites or resources that are available.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:15:25 PM »
PianoWiz,

Your friend can have the Best and greatest saxophone teachers around WITHOUT breaking his pockets.

I've had lessons from Grover Washington, Jr. Joshua Redman, Gerald Albright, and more.

Let me know if you're interested.

CSE2

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 08:26:03 PM »
Hi,

Don't get me wrong 'csedwards2', my sax playing brother in Christ does currently take lessons, but would simply like help outside of lessons, in order to help him to improve and sound the way he wants to.

I just hope that someone can please post artists or some sites that include sounds/songs or even instructional videos that help alto sax players in gospel contemporary music.

Thanks In Advance

PianoWiz...

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:45:52 PM »
Well let me tell you how I scored lessons with Joshua Redman, Grover, and a few others:

I bought their CDs.............

By having their CD I could pick out a song that I wanted to learn, then figure out what they did, and hopefully why they did it. My man Jbroad572 has the right idea. The CDs your student can get of sax players can and will help his playing, because it'll give him ideas and solutions to how to get through certain chord situations. If he's not in to jazz sax players, he can still do the same for gospel.
He can imitate their tone, horn/mouthpiece setup, phrasing, style, lick vocabulary, etc. If he gets DVDs he can try and imitae their embouchure too. Not every student has access to learn from the teachers they'd like to, but everybody can buy a CD. It equals the playing field. I think of it as the next best thing to studying live with that person. But not to hate on sax teachers, but Ive got truckloads of sax CDs, better than the teachers Ive had. Effectively used, recordings are all you need.  Not to mention, they dont die like humans, so we can have immortal teachers. Also, if you study one particular musician over and over, you can begin to think like them too.  Start with something easy, then progressively increase difficulty as your ear improves. Just keep transcribing. The more you transcribe the better your ear, the better your improvisation, the better your GOSPEL playing.

Extra credit:
If the artist has written books or done interviews, those will usu. give insight to how they when they play too.

Dont underestimate transcribing.
HTH
CSE2

Offline MRSAX19

• LGM Member
  • Hello Somebody...Hello Anybody

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »
Well Whiz let me see if i can help u out..

I play piano and sax, even though the two look like they would be total oposites as far as teaching their not. there are maybe 5 or 6 things u can do to help him.
1. have him sit or stand with his back to u and you play a scale have him find the scale on his horns gradually work this to playing all 
    sort of right hand runs. when his ear is strong he will be able to play all sorts of music Jazz Gospel and all
2. Teach your choir a song (ie Alright now by john P. Key my personal fav. to play) and let him play the lead its not as hard for the
    choir as you would think... my youth choir did it!
3. Solos let him work up a solo (Old skool church songs amazing grace,holy holy holy...) and you play behind him
4. let him free style... just play and let him play along with you tell him to listen more to the Bass than to the chords
5. buy written materials, the more that u learn on paper the easier it will be to free style
From Da Prophet

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »
Hey 'MRSAX19'

Thanks for the advice, I've written it down and will be discussing this with my brother in Christ on Tuesday when its our brothers meeting (Brother's Choir Rehearsal).

Please pray for my brother and I to grow together in Christ and as musicians as I will you.

PianoWiz...

Offline MODERN_DRUMMER

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 01:23:33 AM »
Well Whiz let me see if i can help u out..

I play piano and sax, even though the two look like they would be total oposites as far as teaching their not. there are maybe 5 or 6 things u can do to help him.
1. have him sit or stand with his back to u and you play a scale have him find the scale on his horns gradually work this to playing all 
    sort of right hand runs. when his ear is strong he will be able to play all sorts of music Jazz Gospel and all
2. Teach your choir a song (ie Alright now by john P. Key my personal fav. to play) and let him play the lead its not as hard for the
    choir as you would think... my youth choir did it!
3. Solos let him work up a solo (Old skool church songs amazing grace,holy holy holy...) and you play behind him
4. let him free style... just play and let him play along with you tell him to listen more to the Bass than to the chords
5. buy written materials, the more that u learn on paper the easier it will be to free style

like the pic dov,very creative!

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 01:43:55 PM »
OH , one last thing, if he's gonna be like a soloist, then he should also transcribe vocalists. When a vocalist sings a song, transcribe the breathing, the phrasing, the long notes, the bends, everything. The most successful saxophonists have alyrical style, because people can imagine someone really singing what they play.  If you play all choppy, your lines dont run together, and the best they can do is scat or just listen.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 03:46:59 PM »
Thanks 'csedwards2'

You have really helped me I'll pass the information on.

PianoWiz... 

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 02:24:19 PM »
anytime I can, I will

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 12:17:34 AM »
I've been coming to this site for quite some time and only ran across the sax section tonight. I'm finally glad that I can hook up my brothers and sisters in the Lord.  First of all you must be willing to listen to secular players, grab what you need and play for Jesus...or the Holy Spirt will remind us that our talents are for his glory.

Here are the perfect sites that will help you whatever stage you're in. Leave questions in the beginner section, there are moutpiece sections, reed sections, sax brand sections. I've learned a lot there and have acquired considerable progress praise God from national sax players who log in there everyday and answer my questions.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/
http://www.saxophone.org/links.html
http://www.saxshed.com/  This one is loaded with transcriptions of great players

You guys don't realize how blest we are to have all this technology that guys who played back in the day didn't have. Now we can discover a lot through the medium of the net. Oh thank you Jesus.

There's also this softward called transcribe at this site. Convert your music file to an mp3. Open the mp3 in transcribe and you can listen to the cut at any slow level you want and learn what the great players did. I dont like writing it out in music language. I prefer to listen over and over again and play. If you've been trained to listen and write out the parts on music sheets then more power to you. It's at http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/version6.html

It does not change the key when the music is slowed down. This was quite a challenge for players transcribing back in the day. Now the problem's been solved.

Here's a fingering site that I used when I started a few years ago: http://www.wfg.woodwind.org/sax/sax_bas_1.html

I hope to get help on my techniques from you guys also. Please share and God bless.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 12:50:38 PM »
Thanks for the information " ifiwereu" the websites are quite good and I found some really great tips..... ;D   :D   ;D

Thanks

PianoWiz...
Pages: [1]   Go Up