LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rubber/Plastic mouthpiece vs. Metal Mouthpiece  (Read 5242 times)

ES7Mike

Rubber/Plastic mouthpiece vs. Metal Mouthpiece
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:22:50 PM »
As a sax player, which type of mouthpiece would you use?

give me your opinion!

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

Re: Rubber/Plastic mouthpiece vs. Metal Mouthpiece
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:51:56 AM »
Definitely metal. I'm COGIC. If I try to use a rubber mouthpiece in my church, people would probably ask me why no sound was coming out when I was playing. Just not enough volume. Up until recently, I used a Dukoff D6. But I just bought an Otto Link 6 (metal), and it's warmer than the Dukoff, but it still has great projection. Better tuning, too. But I would never personally have a rubber mouthpiece as my main piece of expression. It wouldn't sound right TO ME.
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »
I find this a very hard question  to answer...when I first started to playing often used a plastic mouth piece ...its was better for me in the beginging stages of learrning and development plus i developed"chops" out of this world  on a plastic deal . This went on for about seven years or so....then I went to and otto-link 3 star mouth piece..  i got back in the 70's...and i still play on that mouth piece today....however along to way I had to learn how to control  my volume and other things too...for example Im in the musician union out of Buffalo,New York....Im lot of gigs was coming thru town playing for the circus, bliizard ball gala, and stuff like that. I had to got back to lactic for those gigs because my sound on my metal mouth piece was to bright and cutting for the group as a whole..To me it all depends on what your playing...ect   my friend plays a alot of classicial music  he has the softest, prettest tone ever on a plactic  this dude sounds good....at any rate keep trying all kinds of hook- ups ....using different reeds and mouth pieces and you will find the perfert tone for you  after a while

the unit..aka  kevin davis
THE UNIT

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:38:17 AM »
As a sax player, which type of mouthpiece would you use?

give me your opinion!
Really depends on the sound and style of music you are going for. I use a Beechler Beelite and a Meyer 5m for now. The Beechler can give a contemporary, smooth jazz sound, and the Meyer can give a traditional jazzy sound, but I can also make the Meyer sound smooth and contemporary with just a change of reed. I think you can accomplish any type of sound with metal or rubber, ebonite. Make sure you have a good piece. Be careful with the pieces you buy that are mass produced. You usually can't get an accurate representation of the piece. Sometimes it may need to be reworked. I personally have a guy I send my pieces to make sure they are perfected. IF you don't want to do that, whenever you trial pieces make sure you try more than one piece of each.

Offline DevaleMusic

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 03:48:21 PM »
It depends on the style of music you play. I prefer a hard rubber mouthpiece like a Morgan Classical, Selmer Paris C*, Larry Teal, Vandoren Optium, or Meyer if you want a classical sound. On the other hand, if you want a jazzy sound, try out these hard rubber mouthpieces: Jody Jazz, Selmer Paris Supersession, Morgan Jazz, Beechler Bellite, or Phil Barone New York. If you are interested in a much brighter, warmer sound than the hard rubber mouthpieces provide, then the metal mouthpieces will take care of that. The Jody Jazz ESP, Otto-link, Phil Barone Contemporary, Vandoren V16, Claude Lakey, or the Sugal are all excellent choices or metal mouthpieces. Make sure you test the mouthpieces before you buy them. Try out the different sizes and choose the one that best accomodates you.   

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 08:00:41 AM »
what about reeds,2,21/2-wood,plastic?

Offline Zen_Micro

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 09:05:48 AM »
:) Hi, well sorry im late on this topic, but In church I use a metal mouthpiece (dont know which brand it is off hand) combined with a plastic reed.....its a pretty loud combination, but its a nice sound when combined. The reason I think I went with the 2 is because in my church we dont really use the blending method. Its very hard to actually hear me and the other guy I play with (we even have horn mics). But I think you should try it out, trail and error! See what you think....everyones choice is different! You may like it you may not......I likes though  ;)......Have a good day!
"Im pressing on the upward way, New heights I'm gain-ing ev-'ry day......"

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 11:11:35 PM »
Hard rubber and plastic mouthpieces are for playing in brass bands so that you blend in with the other horn players. Metal mpcs are for playing with bands where you need more projection and loudness.

I've changed mouthpieces like you changed shoes..it's that serious.

I started out with a Selmer S80 C*, then Selmer S90 200, then a Beechler for a while, then hard rubber Otto Link Tone Master. Currently, I'm playing on a mouthpiece that the great ones like Coleman Hawkins and John Coltrane used. It's a metal Otto Link Supertone master 5*.

My goal is a Guardala. All the great contemporary players are using that now. It's $300 plus.

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 01:29:13 AM »
Hard rubber and plastic mouthpieces are for playing in brass bands so that you blend in with the other horn players. Metal mpcs are for playing with bands where you need more projection and loudness.

I've changed mouthpieces like you changed shoes..it's that serious.

I started out with a Selmer S80 C*, then Selmer S90 200, then a Beechler for a while, then hard rubber Otto Link Tone Master. Currently, I'm playing on a mouthpiece that the great ones like Coleman Hawkins and John Coltrane used. It's a metal Otto Link Supertone master 5*.

My goal is a Guardala. All the great contemporary players are using that now. It's $300 plus.
Of curse that's not the case with all hr and metal pieces. I know some hard rubber/plastic pieces that are just as bright and loud as metal.
I know a lot of your modern smooth jazz palyers are using Beechler Beelites and Diamond Inlays... great projection and bright. I sold my Beelite metal for a 'perfected' Beechler S5S and am loving it.

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 08:05:39 AM »
When I was a real mouthpiece freak I had a Beechler diamond inlay simply because I figure I'd try to sound like Gerald Albright. I mourned the fact I spent a lot on it. I've long discovered it's not so much in the mpc but in a well developed emboucher and that comes with practice.  Charlie Parker practiced 12 hours a day. That's why he was so good.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »
I spent the last twenty years on this mouthpiece quest.  I found it to be a bogus journey.  Find what you like and stick to it.  (as in sound timbre)

I use a custom Dave Guardala Super King metal mouthpiece on my tenor.  This is a screaming mouthpiece. 

BUT

My alto....   I use a Vandoren Jumbo Java A55 and Vandoren V16 reeds.  That combinations is HUGE.  It is larger than any metal mouthpiece I have ever played AND it has the benefit of a large chamber sound.  So I get brightness and full body sound.  I play ever Sunday with a 150 person choir and a full orchestra... THEY need mics...  I do not.

Offline david johnson

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 11:27:39 AM »
so many good mpc available!  as far as reeds, they affect the tone, also.  to me, the softer reeds spread the sound, and the stiffer ones focus it...reed placement on the mpc can change that, too.

have fun on the tone-journey.

dj

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 09:26:53 PM »
I have to let my daughter test some of these out.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up