LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "new genaration"  (Read 2169 times)

oldschoolfool

"new genaration"
« on: May 21, 2006, 08:00:29 AM »
I've been over the choir for at my church for 22yrs now. And as time goes by we are gitting younger and younger choir members. How does one keep up with the "new genaration" of music and still not lose that traditional style.  ?/?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: "new genaration"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:23:31 AM »
You are in the unique position to teach the "new generation" the traditional songs of the church while, at the same time, providing for them a positive musical expression through the music of this generation. I praise God for you.

Just mix it up and I'm sure your young choir members will appreciate it.  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

caisza

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 03:47:06 PM »
You are in the unique position to teach the "new generation" the traditional songs of the church while, at the same time, providing for them a positive musical expression through the music of this generation. I praise God for you.

Just mix it up and I'm sure your young choir members will appreciate it.  :D
[/b]

I agree.  I just might add a lil sumthin sumthin to the music or words and boy do the love it.  The love it so much til they are not looking at the fact that it might be a traditional song.

:)

oldschoolfool

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:36:01 PM »
Bless all of you. i just didn't know how to deal with the situation. Because most of the new stuff today is real good and than there are things out there that i can't hang with. And i didn't want to lose that style.

thank You

iamworship2006

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:57:31 PM »
Bless all of you. i just didn't know how to deal with the situation. Because most of the new stuff today is real good and than there are things out there that i can't hang with. And i didn't want to lose that style.

thank You

I would also suggest " flipin the script" ( As we call it0 On some of the traditional songs. Lets the youth come up with a song and teach it to the entire choir. Make them a part of the experience. You can't loose that way.

B_XALTED

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 05:02:43 PM »
the special word for my choir is REVISE

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 07:56:45 AM »
IMO, I think you should try to work with and mentor the younger generation.  First and foremost, you should make sure that your younger members have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ...if they're just in the choir for show or because they enjoy singing, it's not going to work.

After that, teach them traditional songs as well as newer contemporary music.  As a young musician (22) I tend to favor contemporary style since it's what I grew up listening to but I still have love and respect for those old hymnals and traditional praise & worship songs of yesteryear....without them, today's music and artists wouldn't exist.

You can't get to where you're going if you don't understand where you've been.  Prayer, patience, practice, and perserverience will help to bridge the gap for you, I'm sure of it. ;)

God Bless,
-J

Offline Prophetic Remnant

• LGM Member
  • "Touch not THIS anointed one...so STOP HATING"
    • PlayGospelKeys

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 01:49:38 PM »
50% songs from now,
25% songs from the 90's,
25% songs from the 80's and back then.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 10:51:23 PM »
Welcome LGM  Prophetic Remnant
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up