LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GOOD QUESTION 4 YA  (Read 5228 times)

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

Re: GOOD QUESTION 4 YA
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »
my cousin made a statement after we listen to the new tye tribbett cd and trust he is well versed in music not just gospel i mean he plays drums with symphonys, jazz ensembles and the whole nine but he said the best thing about listening to tye's stuff was that he doesnt hold himself in a box musically  he stretches out there but in all being tasteful so while there is no need to overdo it you should play and be creative  or lets go back to everyone just playing 1-4-5 all thru service.

Offline codewarrior

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 08:04:52 PM »
That's talking about musical *styles*, which has nothing to do with purposely putting things in shout music that put the focus on you instead of God.  You trying to tell me that when somebody's in a church service and they hear the Ghostbusters song, that it helps them receive the presence of the holy spirit? Or it makes them laugh and look at the organist?  It's sad when our young brothers and sisters come out of church and instead of talking about the message they're yakking about what crazy song or lick someone stuck in a hymn or a shout.  But that is where the focus is going.

Nobody said you have to only play 1-4-5, but you need to be aware of what you are causing people to focus on in church.  The greatest Gospel musicians throught history were used by God not just because of what they played, but also because of what they chose NOT to play, and the same is true today.  If you pray and ask yourself "is playing this going to help bring the spirit of God into this service, or is it just going to make me look cool" and you answer honestly, you will realize that there's a lot of stuff that is great for a jam session or a jazz concert that is better left out of worship services.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 09:04:21 PM »
Codewarrior, you're alright with me!! Preach that thing!!!
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

rjthakid

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 08:29:57 AM »
Everything has to be done tastefully.  As a drummer, one of the most difficult things I've had to deal with was overplaying.  Just because you know some fancy licks, DOESN'T mean you use one every bar.  Everything has to be played in the context of the music, and the environment.  That being said......

I STILL plan on using the SportsCenter Theme to close out a shout.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 08:39:45 AM »
80% of church folk practice thier shout steps plus im not gonna argue about what you should or shouldnt play in service there is a system in place that handles conviction

Offline Big_Al

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 09:27:55 AM »
Here's the point. In the church today, you have young musicians, as well as mature musiciains. I perfer to listen /and appreciate a mature musician. He/she has the foundation of Gospel music. Young musicians, in my opinion are more concerned about ME and what I can do impress the audience. I discovered this fact listening to clips on LGM. In fact, once, I had to laugh when I witnessed an organist playing a shout/with riffs in all black keys. He never modulated to a natural key. This was amazing.

A mature organist, is concerned about pleasing GOD. He/she is humble. Most of all, he/she can play in ALL keys.

God Bless you in your Musical Ministry

All That I Am, I Owe to the LORD.

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »
Yo, we are gettin kinda over the top.  No matter how much you break it down or whatever an Ab chord is STILL an Ab Chord.  Although you should reverence God while playin I dont see whats wrong with adding some other stuff in a SHOUT, not the whole service.  I wouldn't dare do that during prayer or the message, but a Shout is really the only time that churches give musicians the freedom to get loose.  But, if it is the case where we shouldn't take concepts from other musical styles and incorporate them into gospel, why isn't anyone saying anything about Tye using big band moves with the brass or Kirk Franklin samplin a whole song?
Keep It Funky

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 11:19:57 AM »
Yo, we are gettin kinda over the top.  No matter how much you break it down or whatever an Ab chord is STILL an Ab Chord.  Although you should reverence God while playin I dont see whats wrong with adding some other stuff in a SHOUT, not the whole service.  I wouldn't dare do that during prayer or the message, but a Shout is really the only time that churches give musicians the freedom to get loose.  But, if it is the case where we shouldn't take concepts from other musical styles and incorporate them into gospel, why isn't anyone saying anything about Tye using big band moves with the brass or Kirk Franklin samplin a whole song?

If you'd pay attention, people are saying that about Tye, Kirk, Tonex, etc. And as I stated earlier, if what you're playing takes people out of the presence of God or hinders their praise (by taking their focus off of Him and laughing or commenting on what YOU and YOUR fleshly self are playing on your instrument) then it is not of God.

It's that simple.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

organ man1990

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 03:52:08 PM »
I GOTTA sImple Remedy for all of this jibber jabber goin on!

If you don't like it, we won't push you to play those little cuts and jingles. But Don't judge us and say we are wrong. What if I want to play the COGIC thyeme song to end the shout. It's not my fault. I if chose to play it, then that's what i'm a do. If the congregation looks at me or drwas away from the spirit, they'r the one who were distracted. They should've kept their minds off musicians, and on to GOD.Besides if I plan to play something a little "Out there" then I'll probably get comvicted to not even play it.

"Can we all just get along ?!?!?!?!"    :-\ ?/?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 03:58:40 PM »
I GOTTA sImple Remedy for all of this jibber jabber goin on!

If you don't like it, we won't push you to play those little cuts and jingles. But Don't judge us and say we are wrong. What if I want to play the COGIC thyeme song to end the shout. It's not my fault. I if chose to play it, then that's what i'm a do. If the congregation looks at me or drwas away from the spirit, they'r the one who were distracted. They should've kept their minds off musicians, and on to GOD.Besides if I plan to play something a little "Out there" then I'll probably get comvicted to not even play it.

"Can we all just get along ?!?!?!?!"    :-\ ?/?

Starting with this quote, "It's not my fault. I if chose to play it, then that's what i'm a do., I'm going to state that this has got to be the funniest (as in NOT humorous) response I've ever read.

And with that, I'll say this and be done.....If you like it, then I love it. Maybe, if the Lord calls me to glory, we'll get to discuss it.  ;) :D

Holla atcha man!!

organ man1990

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »
Beside on what the argument is....

This topic was NOT about "If you think that adding jingles in your shout is right or wrong"...
But,It was about "IF you DID add any jingles, what were they?"
 That's my point of view right Therr. (please don't take it personally, I still love y'all)

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 04:21:12 PM »
Here's the point. In the church today, you have young musicians, as well as mature musiciains. I perfer to listen /and appreciate a mature musician. He/she has the foundation of Gospel music. Young musicians, in my opinion are more concerned about ME and what I can do impress the audience. I discovered this fact listening to clips on LGM. In fact, once, I had to laugh when I witnessed an organist playing a shout/with riffs in all black keys. He never modulated to a natural key. This was amazing.

A mature organist, is concerned about pleasing GOD. He/she is humble. Most of all, he/she can play in ALL keys.

God Bless you in your Musical Ministry

what does adding a jingle have to someones ability to play in all thier keys i know musicians who will any service as str8 as can be but cant play in all thier keys.

yall must not like gospel rap, using a mpc during service either however shout music as we know it was introduced into the black church by jazz musician the walking bassline and all so i guess we shouldnt use shout music at all

Offline codewarrior

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 09:20:29 PM »
No, you are completely missing the point.  And mpc is a tool.  You can use it to do anything, it can be used tastefully. A walking bassline is also just a musical tool.

A cartoon or TV show theme song, on the other had, IS distracting.  It just is.  If you play that kind of stuff in service the only thing it does is put attention on you (in fact if it didn't, you probably wouldn't have worried about doing it in the first place).   So you can't compare a whole concept of sticking in funny songs to playing a style like walking bass.  Not the same at all.

Like Big_Al said, when you approach your ministry as a musician from the place of being humble and trying to please God and help people focus on his spirit (and music IS a ministry, not just a bunch of chords and melodies... you should consider yourself grateful to even have the honor of being allowed to be used by God as a musician in his house), it's totally different from the attitude of doing stuff to get attention from people.

People are starting to look at shout music as a chance to be cute and funny and show what they know, instead of giving themselves over to God and allowing him to play through them.  Shouting is becoming something people make fun of while watching somebody joke it on Comedy Central instead of something people do because they seriously are overcome by the Spirit and want to give thanks.  To me that's not what this is supposed to be about

Galations 1:10

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

Now if you tell me you put Sportscenter in your shout to win the approval of God...  Well...

One thing you will find in the scripture is that God calls us, however mature we are, to avoid doing things that cause our brothers to stumble.  In Romans 14 the scripture tells us that even if something isn't completely sin by itself, you should avoid it if it causes the weaker among you to stumble.  This means that, even if you have good intent, if what you do in church is borderline and causes people to take their focus away from God, it is best left for another time.  And to me, this kind of stuff fits in that category.

Search yourself and ask what is the real, honest opinion you want to do these things...  To server God or to please yourself or look cool for other people?  And then ask yourself, is it more likely to help people receive the spirit or distract them?

If you answer honestly I think you will know.

Again, God Bless and may we all continue to grow stronger in Christ.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 09:26:51 PM »
No, you are completely missing the point.  And mpc is a tool.  You can use it to do anything, it can be used tastefully. A walking bassline is also just a musical tool.

A cartoon or TV show theme song, on the other had, IS distracting.  It just is.  If you play that kind of stuff in service the only thing it does is put attention on you (in fact if it didn't, you probably wouldn't have worried about doing it in the first place).   So you can't compare a whole concept of sticking in funny songs to playing a style like walking bass.  Not the same at all.

a mpc is tool that is and was widely used in the r&b hiphop forum way before it ever got in church. a walking bassline that we use in church was brought into the church by secular musicians and although i wasnt there im sure someone told them at that time that they were bringing attention to themselves. so how can you tell me they are different when they are the same things that we musicians took from a secular forum and use in church.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2006, 10:30:07 PM »

a mpc is tool that is and was widely used in the r&b hiphop forum way before it ever got in church. a walking bassline that we use in church was brought into the church by secular musicians and although i wasnt there im sure someone told them at that time that they were bringing attention to themselves. so how can you tell me they are different when they are the same things that we musicians took from a secular forum and use in church.

I find it very interesting that out of all that code warrior said in his post, you made a choice to only focus on the MPC. You had no comment or rebuttle for the scripture references. Hmmm...... ?/?

A few verses from Proverbs 13 come to mind.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2006, 07:44:32 AM »
I find it very interesting that out of all that code warrior said in his post, you made a choice to only focus on the MPC. You had no comment or rebuttle for the scripture references. Hmmm...... ?/?

A few verses from Proverbs 13 come to mind.

i dont disagree with scripture hmmm......i disagree with personal interpation. no i didnt just focus on the mpc matter of fact it got the shortest response from and your welcome to reread it and i accept your apology in advance hmmm.....im not concerned who thinks i look cool i look cool no matter what just bcuz I know my Lord and Saviour. and the pure fact that we would not play what we wanna play would be to appease men so there you go to his scripture reference in Galatians. again i know you didnt mean it but its ok>>>>>hmmm!

rjthakid

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2006, 06:28:42 PM »

Now if you tell me you put Sportscenter in your shout to win the approval of God...  Well...

Is your being judgemental and condescending getting God's approval? 
 ?/?  ?/?  ?/?

And you can keep your response telling me that you weren't, because it's clear that you were.

rjthakid

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2006, 06:46:20 PM »
One thing you will find in the scripture is that God calls us, however mature we are, to avoid doing things that cause our brothers to stumble.  In Romans 14 the scripture tells us that even if something isn't completely sin by itself, you should avoid it if it causes the weaker among you to stumble.  This means that, even if you have good intent, if what you do in church is borderline and causes people to take their focus away from God, it is best left for another time.  And to me, this kind of stuff fits in that category.

SportsCenter Theme to end a shout = Causing someone to STUMBLE?

Stumble is to falter or fall.  Talk about a reach!  Sportscenter theme in a shout will cause folk to fall?

Well, I decided to do some research to see exactly what you were talking about.

Here's a portion of Romans 14:

1Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand

Perhaps you skimmed over the portions I bolded.   :-\

verse13 is probably what you were referring to:

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

I don't know HOW you got the interpretation YOU got, but the stumblingblock he was referring to was judging your brother....which, funny enough, is exactly what you were doing. 

Manipulating the interpretation of Scripture is FAR worse than using a jingle in the midst of a shout.

rjthakid

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2006, 06:51:06 PM »
Romans 14:10

But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2006, 07:50:20 PM »
rjthakid your alright wit me
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up