LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practice-Techniques  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Juicyb3

• LGM Member

Practice-Techniques
« on: June 02, 2006, 12:17:43 AM »
wuz up everybody im 16 and i have been playing for about a year now i studied theory and i understood a fare amount about it but im not progressing like i want 2, i think is because i have no practice outline i want to be able to play in all keys the keys that i know are Db,D,Eb,E(Lil Bit),and F but i feel i need some help does anyone have any suggestings

Offline Muziqmann

• LGM Member

Re: Practice-Techniques
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:44:03 AM »
Learn major and minor scales and fingerings.  Learn what scale degrees are major and minor in maj. and min. keys and learn turn-arounds in every key.  Learn songs off tapes/cds and practice with them.  These will help you progress. 
When the minstrel played, the hand of the LORD was upon him.  II Kings 3:15

rjthakid

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:12:16 AM »
wuz up everybody im 16 and i have been playing for about a year now i studied theory and i understood a fare amount about it but im not progressing like i want 2, i think is because i have no practice outline i want to be able to play in all keys the keys that i know are Db,D,Eb,E(Lil Bit),and F but i feel i need some help does anyone have any suggestings

You can become decent in a key in one week.
Don't try to learn everything at once.  Pick a key, and make that your key for the moment.  Before you do ANYTHING in the key you chose, play the scale for that key over and over....for at least a good 10 minutes.  First with your left hand, then with your right, then both (10 min may not sound like a long time, but when you're doing ONE scale over and over, it feels long). 

Learn your 7-3-6-2-5-1 in that key, and do it over and over and over.  About 30 minutes...  Then pick a song that has a 1-4-5 progression and play it over and over and over.  Another 30 minutes.  Then do your favorite 2-5-1's.  About 20 minutes

Do that for the first 3 days.  For the other 4 days, transpose your favorite movements to this key, and play them till they're automatic.  Again, play that scale for 10 minutes before you start anything in your new key.

In a week, you should be able to hold down a song in this new key.  You won't be GREAT at first (nobody is) but it'll come.  Also,  pick songs that you know and play them in this new key.  It's the practical experience of playing an actual song that will do the most good.

The key is to step out of your comfort zone.  My favorite key is Db, and everytime I get on I want to play Db. 

But if you ONLY practice what you know right now, you'll never know more than you know right now!

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:02:17 PM »
Thank you. I pray for patience everyday and night, as human we want it over night.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline Juicyb3

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:35:53 PM »
thax i going to shed this and see what happens thax
Pages: [1]   Go Up