LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: interpret this scripture fo me?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

interpret this scripture fo me?
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:10:58 PM »
"the last shall be first and the first last....." what exactly does it mean?
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline lumbebear1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A Merry Heart makes Good Medicine

Re: interpret this scripture fo me?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »
Matt. 19:30  But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Matt. 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

I'm not sure what you interpetation you are looking for but I included a couple of different Commentaries, hope these help.

John Gill Exposition explaine the verses in this manner:

the apostles, who were last in this world, being poor, mean, and abject, should be the first in the other: or to the Scribes and Pharisees, who were in the chief place, and highest esteem, in the Jewish church, and yet least in the kingdom of heaven; when, on the other hand, the publicans and sinners, who were in the lowest class, and in least esteem, went first into it: or to the case of persecution, when some, who seem most forward to endure it at a distance, when it comes nearer, are most backward to it; whilst others, who were most fearful of it, and ready to shrink at the thoughts of it, most cheerfully bear it: or to the apostles themselves, one of which, who was now first, Judas, should be last; and the apostle Paul, who was last of all, as one born out of due time, should be first: or to Jews and Gentiles, intimating, that the Jews, who were first in outward privileges, would be rejected of God for their unbelief, and contempt of the Messiah; and the Gentiles, who were last called, should be first, or chief, in embracing the Messiah, professing his Gospel, and supporting his interest. This sentence is confirmed, and illustrated, by a parable, in the following chapter.

John Wesley:

Verse 30. But many first - Many of those who were first called, shall be last - Shall have the lowest reward: those who came after them being preferred before them: and yet possibly both the first and the last may be saved, though with different degrees of glory. Matthew 20:16; Mark 10:31; Luke 13:30.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 03:05:22 PM »
i've heard it applied this way also,those who hear GOSPEL at a young age,but get saved later in life sometimes can be more ferverent in their faith.reasons?near brush with death,raelization of how they could have missed eternity(in heaven),a real grasp of faith, a special call or annointing on a believer i.e.saul,etc.sort of like the parable of humility-sit at the less esteemed place until called forward instead of "presuming"your importance.hope it helps-when in doubt-help me LORD!

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 03:35:22 PM »
Without reading everyone else's replies, I believe it refers to the sufferings that Christians go through. To live a Christian life means you have to lay down quite a bit and be mocked, looked down upon, and laughed at in many situations. A lot of decisions and choices we make and actions because of our beliefs makes us look crazy to the world. But, it's not in vain and when we get to heaven, we will be rewarded greatly for the things we do on earth.

Offline drummerboy25

• LGM Member

the 1st shall be last...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:28:31 AM »
this scripture can be found in:
St. Matt. 19:30 & 20:16 - St. Mark 10:31 - St. Luke 13:30

this refers to the coming kingdom of God. (The millennial reign) when the Apostles will judge Israel. signifying that forsaking earthly goods/benefits in this life for the sake of the gospel will bring about the blessings of the Lord and everlasting/eternal life. 

Offline cherryebess

• LGM Member
  • Cherrye Bess-Branch GospelMusician/Singer/Comedian
    • Gospel Comedian * Singer * Musician CD's Available

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:48 AM »
Who are the last people you think about when it comes to MONEY?  WHo are the last people you think about when it comes to being ON TIME?  Who are the last people you think about when it comes to EDUCATION?  WE SHALL BE FIRST.  Because Money does not tempt us, Time does not leave us and Power does not avert us.  We will be first in line to get in heaven.  YES THAT IS WHAT THIS MEANS.  HA HA HA HA HA NOt Funny!
Please visit my site www.cherryebranch.com

Kelsey

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:56:48 AM »
After saying it in Matt. 19:30, Jesus basically explained it in the followinging chapter with a parable, Matt. 20:1-16.

My interpretation is that if you think you are first, you may be last...vice versa...if you think you are last, you may be first.  Basically, the Lord Jesus determines how he will reward us, not according to man's ways.  The scripture should encourage us to be humble and serve the Lord Jesus and do his will, not seeking rewards only, but his seeking righteousness first.

Read what Jesus told the disciples in Mark 10:35-45.

...verse 43 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant (last), 44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »
Im sorry, I guess I should have elaborated more. What I am looking for is an interpretation in referrence to the rapture.
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Kelsey

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 09:24:54 PM »
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede (FIRST) those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

After that, we who are still alive (LAST) and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words

Kelsey

Offline Gina2

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 09:46:15 PM »
I agree with Kelsey on both interpretations
Blessed!!!!

Offline drummerboy25

• LGM Member

rapture
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 10:29:53 PM »
no disrespect, but this scripture is not talking about the rapture.

Yes, the Bible does say the dead in Christ shall rise 1st (I Thess. 4:13-18), but think about it, they also have died 1st.  so how then does this correspond with them being last now, but 1st at the rapture?  as I have stated above in the previous post, as well as some others have posted, is the correct interpretation.

Kelsey

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 11:14:15 PM »
   ;D You're right, the primary intent of this scripture is not to promote the rapture or sequencial knowledge of arrivals in heaven, but to comfort those who needed hope while waiting on Jesus, see verse 18 of I Thes. 4 (Bless His Name).  ;)

Revelation 3:10
Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth.

Jude 1:14
And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

Kelsey

Offline drummerboy25

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 11:37:08 PM »
PTL, u know as a minister of the gospel, Kelsey i respect u highly for what u have just done.  not many people professing Christ can admit they were wrong about something.  please 4give me if this comes across as boastful, but this is not my intent.  we are supposed to learn/grow in the knowledge of God constantly.  I don't care how long u've been saved, or what title u carry, we can all learn from others.  So u be encouraged and remember wrong answers are just the questions never asked. Be blessed , much love. 

Kelsey

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 12:01:09 AM »
 :D No problem, DB...As long as I am correctly dividing the Word that is directly sanctifying me and keeping me faithful and holy until the coming of Jesus, I have no need to be ashamed. (Worthy is the Lamb)

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Kelsey
Pages: [1]   Go Up