LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 13 year old Sax playe help???  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

13 year old Sax playe help???
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
My daughter plays (1yr) middle school. Could you guys/girls tell me some books, video I could retrieve to help her advancement over the summer? Advice please? Thank all for your responds in advance. God bless each one…
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: 13 year old Sax playe help???
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 06:09:54 PM »
Where's the love. :'( :'( :'(

Offline Saxman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • SAXMAN'S MINISTRY

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:06:59 PM »
Try the Bubank Method books.  I believe the book is a sort of green book or It may have changed color. 

Also, sign up for my group.  :)  http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Anointed_Gospel_Sax

Offline jremon

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 10:59:44 PM »
Just to let you know,

The method books that were previously mentioned are Rubank. Not, Bubank. The intermediate book would be a good one for your daughter at this point. In addition, since she has had one year of middle school band, I would research book 2 of any of the popular band method books. These would include Essential Elements, Ed Sueta, Standard of Excellence, First Division Method, etc. Also, if you think that she is going to get really serious about playing, I would make sure that she is listening to the great players of the instrumemt. This would include the great classical players like Harvey Pittel, Donald Sinta, Eugene Rousseau, Daniel Deffaye, Marcel Mule, etc. That way she gets the characteristic sound in her ear. You could also have her listen to some of the great jazz players as well. Start with Cannonball Adderley, Johnny Hodges. The more lyrical players are less intimidating. Listening to Charlie Parker can be scarey at first. (He was just phenominal.) I hope that this helps and I wish your daughter good luck on her musical journey.

Jremon

Offline Saxman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • SAXMAN'S MINISTRY

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 07:11:50 AM »
Thanks, Jremon.  I mispelled it.  Sorry.  Great advice.  I use the Standard of Excellence books in my classroom to teach band.  I feel that the Rubank books are more specialized for specific instruments and they would be great for individual study.

See?  You are needed on my group.  :)

Be Blessed!

Saxman

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Anointed_Gospel_Sax

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 10:55:59 PM »
Ya....Rubanks are great books for intermediate. They come in elementary, intermediate and there are 2 advanced levels.  Be sure to get the one for the kind of sax your daughter plays as there are alto and tenor saxes.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 01:09:13 PM »
Thanks FAM, I will get right on it. I will keep you all posted on her progress. One love.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 10:14:26 AM »
Frank Weber has a series out call:  The Alto Saxophone Student

It has four difficulty levels.  It is a little more hip than the traditional Rubank books.  (not saying there is no value there.)

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
Frank Weber has a series out call:  The Alto Saxophone Student

It has four difficulty levels.  It is a little more hip than the traditional Rubank books.  (not saying there is no value there.)

Thank you. I will check this out. Thanks for your time...

Offline BMA

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 10:09:28 PM »
If you are in Memphis, check out Bartlett Music Academy for an instructor. If not, find one in your local area. As far as books, get the following and read them as if they were gospel . . . . . .

1. Larry Teal - The Art of Saxophone Playing
2. Dave Leibman - Finding your personal sound on the saxophone (title is not exact) Get the video as well. It is very helpful.
These two books should be available through jamey abersold. Doa google serch for their website.
3. Jamey Abersold - Scales - Major and Minor with CD

The Dave Leibman Book is more important than the first, but get them both.

The Rubank books are the best!! They are BORING!!! BUT they are written for the saxophone NOT FOR BAND. Some posts above mentioned band method books. I do not agree because they are catered to the band and their specific ranges relating with each other. The Rubank starts in the best range and proceeds appropriately. It is completely comprehensive.

Regardless you should get a private tutor, but without one, the above items will help. I have been playing sax for 20 years and teaching it since 1993. I use the methods taught in these books everyday in my studio. I have taught many All-West TN band winners based on these  approaches.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »
If you are in Memphis, check out Bartlett Music Academy for an instructor. If not, find one in your local area. As far as books, get the following and read them as if they were gospel . . . . . .

1. Larry Teal - The Art of Saxophone Playing
2. Dave Leibman - Finding your personal sound on the saxophone (title is not exact) Get the video as well. It is very helpful.
These two books should be available through jamey abersold. Doa google serch for their website.
3. Jamey Abersold - Scales - Major and Minor with CD

The Dave Leibman Book is more important than the first, but get them both.

The Rubank books are the best!! They are BORING!!! BUT they are written for the saxophone NOT FOR BAND. Some posts above mentioned band method books. I do not agree because they are catered to the band and their specific ranges relating with each other. The Rubank starts in the best range and proceeds appropriately. It is completely comprehensive.

Regardless you should get a private tutor, but without one, the above items will help. I have been playing sax for 20 years and teaching it since 1993. I use the methods taught in these books everyday in my studio. I have taught many All-West TN band winners based on these  approaches.

Have you ever looked at the Weber book?  From your comments, I would say, no.   The Alto Saxophone Student is a updated version of the old Rubank books.  Each level comes with the basic lesson book as well as optional books for technique, etudes, and repertoire.  I appreciate the Rubank's books, but they are boring.  If you like to bore your students, great.   I like to design each of my lesson plans around my student's individual needs rather than grouping them in an all-in-one book. 

I agree with your suggestions about the Larry Teal, David Leibman books.  Those books are always good to have in one's library. 

Do you know about the signature feature on this site?  You could post your Music Academy website as well as your credentials there that way you would not have to always type it in.  It would save a bit of time...

Offline BMA

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 09:38:57 AM »
Thanks for the Signature Tip Wolf Ram. New to the site so I did not know. As far as the Weber book, I have not seen it. I guess my all caps Rubank statement was taking the wrong way. Several commented on using band methods which I disagree with. I have used them and have seen the student and myself frustrated. The book I love to use the most is out of print. It is called "Introducing the Saxophone" by James Rae. It has duet parts for every lesson and is broken down into lesson form. Very orgranized boook. But My local store told me it was out of print.  I have yet to prove otherwise. I have used it for years until about a year ago. I will check out the weber book because I am always looking for supplemental material. Speaking of Supplemental, by no means should a student or a teacher use the Rubank alone. It is a foundational source. I have fake books, download midi tracks and convert them to "Finale", and wirte things out by ear for my students. If they want to learn the "Celebration "Lick or the "Pick up the pIeces" etc I will write it out for them so they can play something that excites them about the saxophone. I agree rubank is a drag, but if you want to get the basics, it is a great book.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 12:40:22 PM »
I think you will find the Weber books refreshing. 

I played through the Rubanks program as a kid... zzzzzz.  They are a standard though as far as getting all the fundamentals down. 

I find it has grown increasingly difficult to hold the attention span of students over the years.  They are so in tuned to the commercial break, xbox game mentality that if I do not keep things moving at a fairly fast pace, I am afraid I may loose them to daydreaming.   

We do very similar things it seems when it comes to breaking across the jazz/pop barriers in our lessons.  I think this is a great way to keep their attention up.  I must admit that the first time one of my kid's bring in a P-Diddy tune I may raise my eyebrow a bit though...   ::) :P ;D

Offline BMA

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 01:04:34 AM »
LOL!!!! I have already taught
"Ridin Dirty"
Ushers tune that has that lick that goes    e b    e c     e c      e b
A ton of Enimem and others. Its crazy I know,but the kids come back blowing the next week.
I am going to date my self here but how about teaching them "Trigger Man" . Remember that one? They will not know it, but they will think it is cool regardless. I am going to try that one next week.
If it gets the kid playing, I dont care, well within reason

Offline exum4

• LGM Member

need help on what mic to get for cheep!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 04:11:55 PM »
Iv look on the internet and found a mic to go on the end of my sax for  219.00 it's a samson CR77 model is that a good one to buy.   ;D ?/? the web site I saw that on was samash.com

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SW7ASW4/reviews/#anchor

The above link will take you to an actual review.  I have never used this mic setup so I cannot really say good or bad about it.  My suggestion would be try it out.  Ask to take it on a trial run.  You usually have a thirty day trial period.  Put it under all sorts of playing tests.  DO NOT throw out any packaging though.  They will find a way to make you keep it if you do. I think for the $$ it seems ok.  I would be concerned with range and interference.

I use this

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/accessories/abecb8075c8ea354/index.html (microphone element)
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_systems/7ee89d5bb13ceadd/index.html (UHF System)

I like it alot...

It is expensive, but worth every penny.

Offline lisacrum

• LGM Member
  • God doesn't seek ability; He seeks AVAILABILITY.
    • www.myspace.com/lisacrum

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 07:27:14 PM »
Once your daughter gets fairly good at reading the notes, I'd wholeheartedly suggest the play-along series by Jamey Aebersold Jazz.

www.jameyaebersold.com

They have cd's and songbooks in several music genres, and the notation on a lot of them is fairly simple.  Plus, where they're accompaniment CD's, she can "perform" in front of an audience, which will be great for her to get used to.  I would have killed for something like this when I was her age.  Used to listen to Grover Washington Jr. on cassette player, locked in the bathroom with my sax and that was my jam session. 

I think she would enjoy these.  I still do and I'm 40!

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »
Greetings liisacrum!

Offline lisacrum

• LGM Member
  • God doesn't seek ability; He seeks AVAILABILITY.
    • www.myspace.com/lisacrum

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 09:00:14 AM »
Greetings, my new friend! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up