LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blessins from drums to bass  (Read 1201 times)

Offline avessel

• LGM Member

Blessins from drums to bass
« on: June 02, 2006, 03:14:35 PM »
Please help a drummer transform into a bass player !!!

GOD  Is  Able 

Offline Dtuned

• LGM Member
  • sr3500custom

Re: Blessins from drums to bass
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »
awesome transition for you!!

welcome aboard.. im assuming you have some gear and are ready to go, where would you like to begin? what do you know?

etc.

rob
spirit check, testing 1,2,3...testing, testing. a scripture a day will keep the enemy at bay. :0)

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:09:55 PM »
Welcome to the world of bass!!!!!

For some useful beginner tips, scroll down a little...a few others have asked similiar questions recently  ;)

God Bless,
-J

Offline avessel

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:57:08 AM »
Thanks for replying,First, it's good to see more females like myself involved in music instruments in the church(guitars and drums).
I learned to play by ear on the drums and I can't hear a thing with the bass,but it in my heart to play for the LORD.

GOD Is Able

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 09:14:08 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of bass!!!!   

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 09:23:35 AM »
Thanks for replying,First, it's good to see more females like myself involved in music instruments in the church(guitars and drums).
I learned to play by ear on the drums and I can't hear a thing with the bass,but it in my heart to play for the LORD.
GOD Is Able

Welcome to the bass...

I started playing the bass a year ago myself... It takes time... I feel like I am just now starting to progress...

Ask lots of questions... People here are good at offering advise...

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 08:58:45 PM »

GOD Is Able

When I started my ears were awful most likely worst then yours now. I stuck with it and continued to try. Now I am haunted by bass parts. When I listen to music I miss a nice guitar or Keys solo. Can't hear them anymore all I hear is Drums bass and vocals about 80% of the time. Your ears will grow I would bet on it (figure of speech I don't gamble). Now I am working on playing what I hear, that's abit tougher.

Some tips are start learning the fret board and some scales. Start there, then take a song you like and start to try to learn it.

Offline dayspring

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 09:55:25 PM »
Welcome aboard from another sister b-player. Always loved keys and tickled with that a bit and then about a year ago developed a burning desire to play bass. Bought lots of books and learned a lot from this site. I'm good with the theory ; it's getting the application down to a science. I work on scales, modes, chords, and plucking out the bass line from hymnbooks and chorded songs from this site. A real great bass player told me, "get the basics down and the funk will come in time." When I get real ambitious, I jam with the band during rehearsals for the church I pastor. Hope to form an all-female gospel band and just have a lot of fun. Whatever you do, pray, focus and have as much fun as you can! I salute you on this step.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »
Aye man! What you doing in the bass section... grrrr

Oh snap, I'm in here too... ::)  :L

Anyway, one thing I definitely recommend as a fellow drummer is to do whatever everyone here says. I am personally enjoying the threads on the different modes etc (thats some REAL learning folks!)

But if I could add to what everyone else is saying, Take what you know about drumming (especially grooves) &... apply a NOTE to it.

For instance, If you playing a funk rhythm sound out some notes that relate to each sub division. Bass drum, Snare, toms particularly. If you can give a musical quality to it - it helps tremendously. It's kinda hard to explain in text form but it actually helps your listening from a musical point.

God Bless.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 08:22:20 AM »
When I started my ears were awful most likely worst then yours now. I stuck with it and continued to try. Now I am haunted by bass parts. When I listen to music I miss a nice guitar or Keys solo. Can't hear them anymore all I hear is Drums bass and vocals about 80% of the time. Your ears will grow I would bet on it (figure of speech I don't gamble). Now I am working on playing what I hear, that's abit tougher.

Some tips are start learning the fret board and some scales. Start there, then take a song you like and start to try to learn it.

I second emotion to that.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 08:30:52 AM »
Please help a drummer transform into a bass player !!!

GOD  Is  Able 

I play drums, started a year and some months ago. The bass is a great instrument and will help you as well, in my opinion the two study together is a plus plus. Get familiar with the sound of each string, someone mention learn all the scales. Start with you Majors and minors and add on as you fill comfortable. Search within the site for info. Don't limit yourself to anything. Be blessed.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 03:29:52 PM »
I play drums, started a year and some months ago. The bass is a great instrument and will help you as well, in my opinion the two study together is a plus plus. Get familiar with the sound of each string, someone mention learn all the scales. Start with you Majors and minors and add on as you fill comfortable. Search within the site for info. Don't limit yourself to anything. Be blessed.

I know they are 2 different instrument but drum and bass are from the same section. They hold hands to make the music sound good or try to make it sound good. to learn both is like cherri mentioned is a good thing. I just choose to be hard headed and learn the bass only.

Offline DrummerN8

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 11:35:27 PM »
im tryin 2 play bass but my main instrument is drums
Pages: [1]   Go Up