LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving UP!  (Read 2519 times)

Offline energy73

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Noni a gift from God / earn while you learn

Re: Giving UP!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 12:43:56 AM »
I tried to do that twice...quit.  Couldn't hear, couldn't play, couldn't hold time, nothing.  Just junk. 

The first time the MOM rejected my resignation, saying that God will provide me with everything I need in due time. 

The second time, the Minister unknowingly ripped me to pieces during a sermon about people stepping away from their ministry.  I was actually waiting until the service was over so I could resign. 

Things are getting easier for me.  But it's always a battle. 

Who's playing with you?  Are they good?  If possible, try and stay in communication with the keys.  During practice, see if he/she would spoon-feed you, occasionally...note-for-note.

I will try the note for note as soon as I find a teacher here in St. Louis.  And I am trying to remember where the notes are, I only remember a few.  thank you for your kind words.  God Bless

Da Man

Offline energy73

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 12:44:46 AM »
The first 3 yrs. in a "musical" life for any musician is hard. I know from experience.

thanks, God Bless you

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 11:52:09 AM »
Energy 73
I know excatly where you are coming from being self taught I could even hear the bass line in a song but now I can, now the problem is hearing excatly what I hear to playing it note for note.  I said that to say this "learning is a process".  Most of what you hear other bass player do they have been doing it for 20-25 years and you have been playing for how long? Excatly! ;D  Don't give up!
"Even when you're justified, be dignified."  Cornel West

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 12:13:09 PM »
Glad to see that you're not giving up :)

I also noticed that you said you have trouble remembering the notes.  Here's a tip:

Don't try to remember all the notes everywhere on the neck.  Start off by learning the notes in the first 5 frets.  Once you've mastered that, you'll also remember where the octaves are for those notes....

God Bless,
-J

Da Man

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 07:49:56 PM »
Okay, there you go!!  Bullitt gave you something concrete to work with.  What you could also do is find a song (I noticed that a very large amount of the gospel songs are rooted at the first note of the major scale) find a song, a slow song would be better, and see if you could match it to that chart Bullitt provided you with. 

From the 'Bullitt-pattern,' use the "C-to-C" pattern, from the low string to the middle - AND THAT'S ALL!!!  Or the "C-to-C" pattern from the middle string to the high one - AND THAT'S ALL!!!  Do not venture outside of the octave yet. 

Whatever song you listen to will more-than-likely NOT be in the key of "C".  So, move the pattern to start where you think the root note is.  Music seems to move around and come back.  Move around and come back.  Wherever it sounds like it's coming back to is the root note.  Of which ever pattern you picked, place the "Low C" part of the pattern on the "assumed" root note of the song. 

See if you can follow the song using that pattern.  At this moment, the operative word phrase is "SLOW song".  That way you won't feel rushed.  You also would have time to observe what you're doing while you're doing it. 

Most of the main notes of the song structure would be in that pattern.  Like I said, I noticed that a large number of Gospel songs are based on the major scale.  There are times where the song WON'T match the pattern.  That's because the song uses a different pattern instead of the basic major.  But that's another story (part 2).  So if it's not working, pick another song. 

This is enough to get you started.

Da Man

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 08:05:21 AM »
Da Man is right.  Pick a nice slow song with a simple yet effective bass line.  I would suggest something like "Now Behold The Lamb" by Kirk Franklin or just about any of his earlier songs (like the KF & The Family days lol)

Another good song to try is "Lord I Lift Your Name On High"....if nothing else, just mess around with the chorus.  When we play it at church I usually start off playing it in a pretty basic fashion and as the Spirit moves, add a little more spice ;)

You'll get the idea from there.

God Bless,
-J

Offline sawsawi

• LGM Member
    • http://://www.myspace.com/noir_au

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 11:53:06 AM »
Keep banging! Sometimes its best to stop playing and just listen. Digest the patterns you hear. Don't worry about being able to repeat them musically right away, recognition is the beginning of a lovely musical journey. It will come, but it doesn't happen overnite for most of us.

Listen and always leave space when you're playing. The fills & runs will come.

One of the best books you can get is "Ultimate Ear Training for Guitar & Bass" by Gary Willis. It costs less than $15. Initially, you'll do a lot of work w/o your bass but it pays dividends in the end.

Suggested bassists to listen to for some of the simplest grooves but they hold it down and get their point across if need be:

Jerome Allen - Early Kirk Franklin CDs
Me'shell Ndegeocello - Plantation Lullabies
Pino Pallidino - D'Angelo's Voodoo
Hub Hubbard - Roots Things Fall Apart - The Next Movement is a classic. Every bassist has got know how to groove.

Hope this helps. Focus on God, when your heart is right it's all good to Him!
Phil 4:13

Offline CDBassist

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 06:48:25 PM »
I know this is cliche but practice, practice, practice! Everyday
Let it happen according to God's will

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2006, 07:42:56 PM »
Whatever you do DONT QUIT!!!! If you quit then you have proven that you aren't strong enough to play bass. I bought an Ibanez 5-string 2 years ago, played around with it only to quit, just like you are contemplating. Then God blessed me to be able to find my dream bass, Fender USA 5-String Jazz Deluxe, on Ebay selling for only$450.00. I took that as a sign that God wanted me to try my best to get this bass. I bought it and have been playing now for six months. Yeah its hard sometimes because as a bassist you have argueably the heart of the band, but you have to put in time. Thats is something that I realized that I had not been doing the first time I tried to play. Now I practice about 2-3 hours per day, everyday. Do scales, modes, chords, progressions, and most importantly  THEORY and READING. Put in the work and I promise you will become a better player. I know because in the six months that I have been playing seriously, I have recieved 5 offers to play at different churchs. Just dont quit.

Offline energy73

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 11:03:08 PM »
Glad to see that you're not giving up :)

I also noticed that you said you have trouble remembering the notes.  Here's a tip:

Don't try to remember all the notes everywhere on the neck.  Start off by learning the notes in the first 5 frets.  Once you've mastered that, you'll also remember where the octaves are for those notes....

God Bless,
-J
Thank you and God Bless you

Offline energy73

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 11:07:55 PM »
Da Man,

Any suggestion on a slow song?  I can hear the bass line in songs, my ear is not developed so I don't hear notes.  What about Stand?  Or Bless Me?

Da Man

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 06:50:52 AM »
Da Man,

Any suggestion on a slow song?  I can hear the bass line in songs, my ear is not developed so I don't hear notes.  What about Stand?  Or Bless Me?

Who made those songs?  Who are they?

Da Man

Offline energy73

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2006, 09:04:18 PM »
Stand by Donnie M. and Bless Me (Enlarge my territory) by Lawernce and the City Singer

Da Man

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 12:17:55 PM »
Stand by Donnie M. and Bless Me (Enlarge my territory) by Lawernce and the City Singer

Those are interesting songs...Give 'em a try.

Da Man
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up