LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Foul Moment at A Funeral Yesterday  (Read 2727 times)

iamworship2006

A Foul Moment at A Funeral Yesterday
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:20:24 PM »
Ok SO I went to the funeral of my best friends’ mother yesterday. With the exception of some minor glitches the service went great.
However................ at the burial site I could not believe how foul family members can be. Once we said the final goodbye and the processional drove away from the cemetery. I observed somebody in the family; I only know this because the guy in the knock off Burberry short set, with the matching hat, sat in the family section during the funeral.  Anyway, I came back around to help one of the members of our church drive off the hill. As we came around they had stopped got out the car, grabbed the entire floral arrangement that was left on the casket and put it in the side door of his van!!! Why in the world would you do that? I mean I know people grab one or two flowers but to just take the whole arrangement. And to do it after you see everyone has left, or think they did!!

No my best friend she is an only child and that was her mother. She was raised in a single parent household and we were real close. I just don’t know if I did the right thing by saying nothing. If not to him , then someone else. Am I wrong or is that really a foul thing to do to someone who lost a loved one????

Offline Pajarita

• LGM Member

Re: A Foul Moment at A Funeral Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 02:34:26 PM »
Hmm, that's stealing any way you slice it.  Sounds pretty foul to me.  What does everyone else on LGM think?

Offline praizeHim

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://facebook.com/SistersInSuccess

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »
I was an at need grief counselor for a cemetery!  And from my observance, it's actually not stealing!   Personally, I don't see why people still pay hundreds of dollars for flowers that won't be put to good use!

All that happens to the flowers is the grounds crew, depending on the number of funerals that day, take the back hoe and dump all the flowers, without containers in the grave with the casket,

They MIGHT leave the spray on top of the casket if the family does not ask to witness the burial.

But the next day it's gone tooo..... IN THE TRASH!

If you're the family I'd suggest you take all that can be preserved.

But my best recommendation would be a living plant, or tangible funds the family could otherwise use.

My 2

Offline Pajarita

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 03:16:21 PM »
Wow, I didn't know that.  Not to self for future reference...

iamworship2006

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 03:28:55 PM »
Hmm. Well I guess that helped me. I'm glad I osted this I dont feel so bad except that. I doubt the person taking the flowers knew that. I also dont think my friend would have been happy about it.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 03:29:05 PM »
My question is, what do you do with a funeral spray taken from atop a casket?

Did he have another funeral on his agenda?

Would a FUNERAL arrangement look nice in the living room?  Or on the patio?

Did he plan to sell the funeral arrangement to another grieving family?

I just don't see the value in taking it, it's money well spent for that day, and when the day is over... it's just over.  I guess if they end up in the hole after I go home, it wouldn't bother me as much as somebody coming behind and underhandedly swiping them.

Offline praizeHim

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »
Hmm. Well I guess that helped me. I'm glad I osted this I dont feel so bad except that. I doubt the person taking the flowers knew that. I also dont think my friend would have been happy about it.

Now as far as ole boy goes.... his  motives I dunno???

And Ness, point well taken, but I guess it's so traditional to send flowers... If you don't have a whole bunch of flowers at your service, people tend to think you weren't well loved.

That's why, in recent years a lot of people say "In lieu of Flowers" send a donation to a certain charitable organization... Cancer Foundation, Alzheimers, whatever the person may have died.

I believe me Ness, after you gone, It won't bother you at all! ;) :D

Give me Mine while I Live!

The only ones really benefiting are the florists.

iamworship2006

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 03:50:52 PM »
My question is, what do you do with a funeral spray taken from atop a casket?

Did he have another funeral on his agenda?

Would a FUNERAL arrangement look nice in the living room?  Or on the patio?

Did he plan to sell the funeral arrangement to another grieving family?

I just don't see the value in taking it, it's money well spent for that day, and when the day is over... it's just over.  I guess if they end up in the hole after I go home, it wouldn't bother me as much as somebody coming behind and underhandedly swiping them.

yeah thatis why i still have issue with it. What in Gods name do yu plan to do with a big giant funeral spray? You just taking cause it there to be taken. And what makes you feel you have the right to take it. It's not your money even if it does end up in the ground.

Offline PROSTR8

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 04:08:55 PM »
The spray atop a casket is usually put together with styrofoam so you can pick it apart and make a floral arrangement.

to me this is not unusual.  Where I come from....and i have seen it elsewhere as well....it is usually the responsibility of the funeral directors you use to collect all the flower arrangements after the graveside service and bring them to the family home either after the funeral or the next day.

Now if you want to talk about TACKY....I have a story for you.  Picture it.....Houston, TX.....1984. My great grandmother had just passed.  At the time of her passing I was scheduled to be placed into the hospital because of a serious illness.  However, we held off until the day after her funeral.  Mind you....this was a scary experience for me....my great grandmother dying....dealing with her funeral...and being put in the same hospital she died in.  I was only 12 at the time.  Well.....to add insult to injury.....(I gues they just didn't know no better).......guess what my family decided to adorn my hospital room with?  You guessed it.....the floral arrangments from my GREAT GRANDMOTHERS funeral.  I was traumatized to say the least.

But THANKS BE GOD....(sorry but I have to get it in)......I am STILL ALIVE...over 20 years later...to tell this story!!!!!  GOD IS SO GOOD!!!!!!  Excuse me....got to cut a step. ;D

Offline praizeHim

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 04:13:15 PM »

But THANKS BE GOD....(sorry but I have to get it in)......I am STILL ALIVE...over 20 years later...to tell this story!!!!!  GOD IS SO GOOD!!!!!!  Excuse me....got to cut a step. ;D

Hey let me shout with 'cha GLORRAAAAYYYYYY!!!

uniquepraise

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 08:10:31 PM »
If it were me it would be stealing because you sent it/gave it to the family.  If you wanted it back just ask.
Pages: [1]   Go Up