LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Before Requesting Songs  (Read 72882 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Before Requesting Songs
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:06:50 AM »
THIS IS A MESSAGE PERSONALLY FROM T-BLOCK

Before anyone elsedecides to request chords for song, I strongly suggest that you go through these steps first:

1.  At least attempt to learn the song.

I see so many people just asking for chords, and I wonder if they even try to learn the song first.  My guess is most people just hear a song and automatcally think "I don't know this song, I'll just beg for chords."  This is the wrong frame of mind fellow musicians.  You have to try something in order to know for sure that u can or can't play a song.

2. If you have attempted to learn the song, post what you have figured out already.

I really don't like helping other people with chords to songs who don't first try to help themselves.  Try to list everything you already know about the song, so I can see that you have tried your best.  You can post the key of the song, the bass line, the melody line, any chords you have figured out, the name of the song, the artist, the lyrics to the song, etc.  If yall can post anything to show that u are trying, then I will be more apt to help you.

3. Asking for chords should be a last resort, not a first resort.

This is just a continuation of the above 2.  There are plenty of posts here on this site and on other sites that give you all the tools you need to learn about music.  I believe it's time that we, yes me included, stop being so lazy and get serious about music.  It takes a long time to really become a good musician, so don't try to rush thinking you can just get chords and be alright.  YOU WON'T!!!

If it seems like I'm yelling, that's the purpose of it.  I'm just wondering when are we gonna realize that there is no easy way to do this.  It takes hard work, dedication, determination, etc.  You have to be very serious and focused on what you are doing.  That means consistent practice not only on playing, but on the learning aspect, i.e. music theory.  There is no way around it guys and girls.

Music starts in your head, so if you want a true short-cut to becoming a better musician, get it in your head first.  Practicing away from the keyboard is just as effective as practicing in front of the keyboard.  If you never get this stuff in your head, you will never be able to really play and understand what you are playing because your mind should control your fingers, not the other way around.

O.K., I'm done yelling now, but honestly I want all of us to become the best musicians we can be.  I truly am concerned about your needs and I'm here to help in any way I can.  I love each and every one of you and I am praying for everybody's success in music.  T-Block out!!!

(This message may or may not reflect the opinions of the owner of this site or anyone else on this site)
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Val215

• LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

Re: Before Requesting Songs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:07:33 AM »
Well said ;)
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:13:22 AM »
This is good. I place this as a sticky so that it will remain on top.  ;)

Also, when asking for chords, TYPE UP THE LYRICS. Help folks out.

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 10:54:58 AM »
Can't agree more Doc!
MERCY EN!!

Offline SeanEpps

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:04:34 PM »
I agree as well its best to practice the song to the best of your ability before you ask for help.
I will bless the Lord at All times and His praise Shall Continually be in my mouth

Offline TamekiaB

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • This is how much He loves me!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 10:05:26 PM »
Wow, T-Block!!!  Talk about the "Scared Straight Program," you just scared me straight!!

But for real, I had to learn this the hard way.  And I thank God and you for assisting me in becoming the best I can be.

Keep up the good work!
Jesus is the center of my joy!!!

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 03:14:22 PM »
Well said sir! :)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 05:07:31 PM »
Wow, T-Block!!!  Talk about the "Scared Straight Program," you just scared me straight!!

Sometimes we need a wake-up call to remind us of the real reason for being on this site, to learn about gospel music.  It seems like we straying away from the learning aspect a little, so we need to get back on track.

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 12:19:44 AM »
Yes it should be a sticky 'cause we've been repeating this over and over again since this boad has been online (back in 2001 to now)   ;)

MS MONA

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 11:55:18 AM »
I TRULY LIKE THE WAY THAT YOU WROTE YOUR STATEMENT. AND I MUST SAY THAT THIS BOARD HAS REALLY BEEN GREAT FOR ME. I HAVE PLAYED BY SHEET MUSIC ONLY SO IT IS KIND OF HARD FOR ME TO JUST SIT AND PICK UP WHEN I HAVE BECOME SO USE TO JUST BEING ABLE TO READ THE MUSIC. I AM NOT THAT GREAT AT PICKING UP BY EAR BUT I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN THE BASIC OF LEARNING CHORDS AND HOW TO TRANSPOSE WITHOUT THE KEYBOARD DOING IT FOR ME. SO THIS BOARD IS GREAT.

THANKS AND GOD BLESS :D

Offline anointedkeys

• LGM Member
  • BLESSED BE THE LORD!!

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 07:40:26 AM »
WHEN I TRY TO LEARN A SONG I LISTEN TO IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN BEFORE I SIT DOWN AND TRY TO PLAY. I TRY OT LISTEN TO THE BASS LINE AND THEN THE CHORD STRUCTURE AND DIFFERENT CHANGES AND LISTEN TO TO REPS MEANING HOW MANY TIME TIMES DOOES THE VERSE REPAEAT THE THE CHORUS THEN THE BRIDGE AND SO FORTH.BUT FROM TIME TO TIME I WILL GET STUCK.I REALLY NEED TO CONCENTRATE A LIL MORE ON THEORY THOUGH TO GET A BTTER UNDERSTANDING OF CHORD STRUCTURE AND TRIRONES THAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT.BUT IF YOU OR ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THAT I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!BLESSINGS TO YOU MY BROTHER FOR WHAT YOU SAID AND TO ALL FELLOW MUSICIANS!!PS IT MIGHT HELP TOO IF WE PRAY BEFOR WE BEGIN TO LEARN A SONG!! :)
you can contact me at vmclean2004@juno.com also!!!

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »
Yes indeed T-BLOCK, this is sooooo true. Thank God for you!!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline MikaSue

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise God!
    • MikaSue Designs

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »
Great advice.

I try to hear it first by listening over and over but I get sidetracked from either all the instruments or the fancy stuff they are doing.  Sometimes I just want the basics and I can't hear them for all the other stuff. 
I am grateful for LGM   please don't stop helping the deaf  :-)

Praise God!

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 11:51:36 PM »
THIS IS A MESSAGE PERSONALLY FROM T-BLOCK

Before anyone elsedecides to request chords for song, I strongly suggest that you go through these steps first:

1.  At least attempt to learn the song.

I see so many people just asking for chords, and I wonder if they even try to learn the song first.  My guess is most people just hear a song and automatcally think "I don't know this song, I'll just beg for chords."  This is the wrong frame of mind fellow musicians.  You have to try something in order to know for sure that u can or can't play a song.

2. If you have attempted to learn the song, post what you have figured out already.

I really don't like helping other people with chords to songs who don't first try to help themselves.  Try to list everything you already know about the song, so I can see that you have tried your best.  You can post the key of the song, the bass line, the melody line, any chords you have figured out, the name of the song, the artist, the lyrics to the song, etc.  If yall can post anything to show that u are trying, then I will be more apt to help you.

3. Asking for chords should be a last resort, not a first resort.

This is just a continuation of the above 2.  There are plenty of posts here on this site and on other sites that give you all the tools you need to learn about music.  I believe it's time that we, yes me included, stop being so lazy and get serious about music.  It takes a long time to really become a good musician, so don't try to rush thinking you can just get chords and be alright.  YOU WON'T!!!

If it seems like I'm yelling, that's the purpose of it.  I'm just wondering when are we gonna realize that there is no easy way to do this.  It takes hard work, dedication, determination, etc.  You have to be very serious and focused on what you are doing.  That means consistent practice not only on playing, but on the learning aspect, i.e. music theory.  There is no way around it guys and girls.

Music starts in your head, so if you want a true short-cut to becoming a better musician, get it in your head first.  Practicing away from the keyboard is just as effective as practicing in front of the keyboard.  If you never get this stuff in your head, you will never be able to really play and understand what you are playing because your mind should control your fingers, not the other way around.

O.K., I'm done yelling now, but honestly I want all of us to become the best musicians we can be.  I truly am concerned about your needs and I'm here to help in any way I can.  I love each and every one of you and I am praying for everybody's success in music.  T-Block out!!!

(This message may or may not reflect the opinions of the owner of this site or anyone else on this site)
  T- BLOCK DO YOU HAVE ADVICE ON GUITAR,OR ANY RESORUCES,WHERE TO GET IT.THANKS

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 02:51:05 PM »
The same advice goes for any instrument.

I don't play lead guitar, so I can't help you with learning that.  There is a whole forum dedicated to Gospel Guitar, you might want to check there.

Offline GroovinB3

• LGM Member
    • Groovin's Page

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 05:42:13 PM »
so when i'm requesting a song i can't be like:

i'm looking for a song by hezekiah lawrence. or is it t.d. jones?
anyway it's like " i pray for me/ so pray for you /we need him /so we can survive"

;D  J/K....really i'm J/K!!!
Sorry if the band seems too loud tonight.  Now go tear Psalms 150 from your bible and sit down. ;-)

Offline conileus R

• LGM Member

I AGREE
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 07:19:01 PM »
SOME MANY TIMES AS CHRISTIANS WE JUST GIVE UP , BUT REMEMBER THE LORD ONLY HELP THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELF!

Offline MikaSue

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise God!
    • MikaSue Designs

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 04:37:48 PM »
T-BLOCK   I'm about to give up!

I've been working on this song forever.  It seems simple but i'm missing stuff.
I've figured out the bass line but the chords are getting me.  HELP.

Here is the song    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/mika5    It's I'll Go-Praise II  .wma
Here's my attempt   
http://media.learngospelmusic.com/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=46120&pos=-1754

Here's what I know....

It's in Gb   and modulates to Ab

Here is the base line I got

Gb Eb Ab Db Bb Eb Gb (E Gb)
If you ever needed somebody

Db B Bb              Eb F G
I'll Go where you want me to go

Ab Db  Gb
Here am I Lord  Here am I
Then it goes to Ab

The problem i'm having is the right hand.  I've done a midi of what I know. Can you guys help me fill in the blanks and get me on track if i'm playing the wrong chord.

Praise God!

Offline vwebster

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 12:19:07 PM »
Is this happening to anyone else?

I've gotten to the place where it's actually easier for me to figure the song out than to use someone else's chords to learn a song.

I can FEEL the music better, if I just figure it out. I listen more. The direction is just more intuitive.

But, the times when I used chords posted somewhere, it just seemed to slow me down. Logical stuff, that should have told me what to play next --- just kind of shut down.

So, I still check out some chorded songs from time to time, but now I'd just rather get it myself. Since I'm still a beginner, I'm still learning different keys (now I play in C - can't stand it thought, F, Bb, Ab). I want to learn how to make my chords sound fuller, since I'm still using triads. I can do the scales in all keys, but I've been really lazy in playing in other keys. When in doubt, I usually fall back on F.

I'm going through trying to understand all the tri tones posts now. And, pulling out previous posts where T-Block and some others said how to get the left hand more active.

But, I feel like I've been freed from asking for chords.

Offline MikaSue

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise God!
    • MikaSue Designs

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 03:10:02 PM »
Well I try to figure it out and then look here to see if I was on track.  Chords here are what people posted  not really what is played on the cd.  So I use it to assist not as law.  If someone posts a chord I may or maynot use it  it's just an option and  a resource.

Some chords here are too wide for my fingers so I have to cut out some notes but i use what I can.  I have grown and can hear better so I don't have to ask for as much help AND AND AND  I cna now help others and post stuff.   

So if you are not asking for chords   post some!  Help others.
Praise God!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up