LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Before Requesting Songs  (Read 72894 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Before Requesting Songs
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 09:16:18 AM »
One more thing people, if you are asking for HELP with chords to a song, please provide some chords of your own that you have figured out so that we will actually be HELPING you and not GIVING you chords.  Otherwise, just say that you want or need chords, that way we I can tell the difference.  Thanks!!!

Again, I hope this isn't too rude or harsh sounding, but I am trying to help us get better by doing better, it's all out of love.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Ellimac10

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 10:04:07 AM »
One more thing people, if you are asking for HELP with chords to a song, please provide some chords of your own that you have figured out so that we will actually be HELPING you and not GIVING you chords.  Otherwise, just say that you want or need chords, that way we I can tell the difference.  Thanks!!!

Again, I hope this isn't too rude or harsh sounding, but I am trying to help us get better by doing better, it's all out of love.

Offline Ellimac10

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 10:18:19 AM »
Thanks T-Block, I am new to LGM (2 days) and I got a verbal whippin' !!! No problem Good Medicine !!! Laxitives cause cramps but they make you feel better.

Seriously, I am really enjoying this forum and the vast amount of information that is shared. you are absolutely correct and I am encouraged to know that a fellow musician has my best interest at heart and wants to see us all do that we can to help ourselves so we can be the best professionals we can be and to honor God by serving others.

I will use your recommendation to help myself before I ask for help and I will provide all supportive information to you and others so you can be a blessing to me and others.

I'm encouraged, Thanks again

Offline tammyid

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 2-21-09 Kirk Franklin & I after VA Tech concert
    • Play The Piano By Ear

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 12:48:18 PM »
Well said.  Everyone should attempt to at least learn a song by ear before requesting chords.  I know Jermaine Griggs is good at teaching people to play by ear.  His Gospel Keys 101 DVD is awesome.  He teaches a harmonization scale, which uses the 1, 2min, 4, and 5 chords for every note in the major scale.  This is a basic scale that uses the most common chords in a lot of songs.  Of course there's more chords you can use, but this will get you started in playing by ear.  I explained it in this post on his message board:

http://zone.hearandplay.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1267

I'll spell out those chords that I mentioned there here:

C Major Harmonization Scale:
C - Cmaj (1st inversion) E-G-C
D - Dmin (1st inversion) or Gmaj (root)  Dmin: F-A-D or Gmaj: G-B-D
E - Cmaj (2nd inversion) G-C-E
F - Fmaj (1st inversion) A-C-F
G - Cmaj (root) C-E-G
A - Fmaj (2nd inversion) C-F-A
B - Gmaj (2nd inversion) D-G-B
C - Cmaj (1st inversion) E-G-C

Check out his June 2006 newsletter.  It explains it there too.  http://www.hearandplay.com/newsletters

Be blessed! :D

Offline worshipchords

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 10:14:25 AM »
Well said! Learning on your own isnt so easy. Guess that's why many think its better to just ask someone for it. Nothing will ever replace the process of leaning something you dont know. Better to have tried and not got it than not trying at all. I think wat many people really dont know is the technique for learning a song even by ear. I try to listen to the melody, the bass part and some outstanding notes in the chords. From there I can determine what chords were played.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 10:17:15 AM »
Welcome to the LGM family "worshipchords".......be blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline candaceb

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 10:34:35 AM »
AMEN TO GOD!!  ;) THIS IS SO TRUE!!

Offline chrisrob21

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 10:40:09 AM »
hey everybody i read this messege and i am honored to be on this site. i am a new musician and i just wanna get better and better and i would like to be surround by ppl like yall selfs. i am 21 and i have been playing for two years but its getting harder and harder so if there is anyone out there who could take me under there wing and give some helpful tips on getting better on the keys i would truly be blessed God Bless u

Offline CKH

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 08:40:32 AM »
Yeah that's true. Atleast make an effort to learn the song. What i do is put on my mp3 and turn through the songs and which ever song it lands on i try to learn how to play it.

Offline thepianist2586

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Thank God for what he does with my gift. . . ."
    • myspace

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »
Exactly, you are very correct. I really need to stop being lazy; that's a weakness in my playing and in millions of other people. . . .I just need to be more determined; Thanks for the advice!
Never Resting; Mark my words I will become great!

Offline GUTCH

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 09:51:08 AM »
HEY T THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I'VE BEEN A STRUGGLING MUSICIAN FOR YEARS BUT I KEEP AT IT CAUSE IT'S MY PASSION AND I WANT TO BE THE BEST NOT JUST FOR MYSELF BUT TO BUILD ON WHAT GOD HAS ALREADY PUT IN ME. THIS SITE HAS BEEN A BLESSING AND I WILL CONTINUE TO USE IT FAITHFULLY. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. AND THANKS AGAIN.

Offline mlnways2love

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »
THIS IS A MESSAGE PERSONALLY FROM T-BLOCK
Hi T-Block,

First, I wanted to say "congratulations" and your fiance truly is a nice looking woman, I am happy for the two of you. 

Secondly,  thank you for this posting, I work really hard here at our church and have learned a lot of things through trial and error,but this website has helped to sharpen my skills. 

I for one am truly grateful for all of you musicians at LearnGospelMusic.com.  It has truly been a God send for me.   

MANY THANKS TO YOU,

JEAN
Before anyone elsedecides to request chords for song, I strongly suggest that you go through these steps first:

1.  At least attempt to learn the song.

I see so many people just asking for chords, and I wonder if they even try to learn the song first.  My guess is most people just hear a song and automatcally think "I don't know this song, I'll just beg for chords."  This is the wrong frame of mind fellow musicians.  You have to try something in order to know for sure that u can or can't play a song.

2. If you have attempted to learn the song, post what you have figured out already.

I really don't like helping other people with chords to songs who don't first try to help themselves.  Try to list everything you already know about the song, so I can see that you have tried your best.  You can post the key of the song, the bass line, the melody line, any chords you have figured out, the name of the song, the artist, the lyrics to the song, etc.  If yall can post anything to show that u are trying, then I will be more apt to help you.

3. Asking for chords should be a last resort, not a first resort.

This is just a continuation of the above 2.  There are plenty of posts here on this site and on other sites that give you all the tools you need to learn about music.  I believe it's time that we, yes me included, stop being so lazy and get serious about music.  It takes a long time to really become a good musician, so don't try to rush thinking you can just get chords and be alright.  YOU WON'T!!!

If it seems like I'm yelling, that's the purpose of it.  I'm just wondering when are we gonna realize that there is no easy way to do this.  It takes hard work, dedication, determination, etc.  You have to be very serious and focused on what you are doing.  That means consistent practice not only on playing, but on the learning aspect, i.e. music theory.  There is no way around it guys and girls.

Music starts in your head, so if you want a true short-cut to becoming a better musician, get it in your head first.  Practicing away from the keyboard is just as effective as practicing in front of the keyboard.  If you never get this stuff in your head, you will never be able to really play and understand what you are playing because your mind should control your fingers, not the other way around.

O.K., I'm done yelling now, but honestly I want all of us to become the best musicians we can be.  I truly am concerned about your needs and I'm here to help in any way I can.  I love each and every one of you and I am praying for everybody's success in music.  T-Block out!!!

(This message may or may not reflect the opinions of the owner of this site or anyone else on this site)

Offline drumadk

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 11:40:12 PM »
HI FAM, WELL FIRST OF ALL I DO KNOW SOME OF THE SONGS.  I AM NOT ASKING FOR HANDOUTS AND NOT WORK ON IT MYSELF.  I LOVE TO PLAY AND I PRACTICE MY CRAFT.  I PLAY THE DRUMS SAXOPHONE AND BASS A LITTLE.  I AM VENTURING OUT ON THE KEYS NOW.  I AM A BEGINNER SO I JUST NEEDED A LIL HELP. 

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »
HI FAM, WELL FIRST OF ALL I DO KNOW SOME OF THE SONGS.  I AM NOT ASKING FOR HANDOUTS AND NOT WORK ON IT MYSELF.  I LOVE TO PLAY AND I PRACTICE MY CRAFT.  I PLAY THE DRUMS SAXOPHONE AND BASS A LITTLE.  I AM VENTURING OUT ON THE KEYS NOW.  I AM A BEGINNER SO I JUST NEEDED A LIL HELP. 

That's where the Music Theory room comes in.  All you need to know about learning the keyboard notes, chords, etc. is found in that room.  So, visit there and learn then you won't need help learning songs.

Offline lafrance

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
Hey T-Block that is really true because what are saying i get it from my parents and everybody else. All my teachers give me is sheet music and i do try to play by ear and pick. I know that God have a me wonderful gift to use and uplift him and give him the glory. I want to know to more on how to pick I'm ready to use and uplift through service and everything else your advice is really good and I'm paying more attention to it. I'm learing to play This Morning When I Rose I didnt have no doubt by the Mississippi Mass Choir I just wont to play the mess out that song b/c its a favorite and I jus wont to Jam a little help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL THE OTHER MUSICIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rayl

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 10:42:32 PM »
that isnt fair.....what about the youth liek me that barely knoe "phat chordz"...how are we suppose to survie...i have been playin for a quite a while now... annd month a album launches....i never even stretcch that far on a keyboard yett... what about that

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 06:39:53 AM »
that isnt fair.....what about the youth liek me that barely knoe "phat chordz"...how are we suppose to survie...i have been playin for a quite a while now... annd month a album launches....i never even stretcch that far on a keyboard yett... what about that

You don't know enough of the basics yet to try and learn all the "phat" chords.  It takes time and lots of patience, u not gonna play good in a month.  Most of the people u hear playing on the CDs have been at it for years, so why do u expect to play like them in a week?  That, to me is unfair.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »

It's important to listen to what T is saying and respect what he says. I also understand what you are saying...If you play for a church right now, you are under a lot of pressure to perform NOW not tommorrow. Peoples expectations can cause you to have to rush and try to learn everything overnight. But don't get upset rayl, because he didn't mean that folks wouldn't still help you. He just meant that an effort is required first. I have been playing for years but I just started learning theory last year....I am not ashamed to admit that when I play at church right now, I don't even remember what I read in the theory room. All I know is that, I get paid to play whatever they sing now. So I have to learn songs and stuff very quickly in order to keep my job, which is why I ask for help...and will continue to ask for help until I get theory down to a science like Tblock.

Be encouraged rayl, don't think that no one will help you...because there will always be someone here who understands the pressure to perform now. Don't stop requesting songs, because there are people here who absolutely love to post their version of a song...I do anyway. No one here at LGM is going to leave you hanging.  ;)
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007, 11:01:22 AM »
I also understand what you are saying...If you play for a church right now, you are under a lot of pressure to perform NOW not tommorrow. Peoples expectations can cause you to have to rush and try to learn everything overnight.

You hit on something right here, let me address this.  I don't care how much pressure people put on you, it's up to you if u give in to it or not.  When I was first learning, my church was coming to me wit all kinds of requests to sing songs, but I turned them all down because I was still learning the basics.  They got mad at me, but I didn't care cuz I wanted to do it the right way.

Your church ain't gonna die because u can't play all the new stuff yet.  Just play what u can right now, then later on when u get more experience, u can revisit it.  I liken this to "trying to keep up wit the Jones'", u gonna wear yourself out trying to rush and learn, and u still gonna end up going right back to da basics.  So, why not start with the basics and save yourself the trouble of coming back to it later?

Again, this is my opinion coming from my experience.  U can take it or leave it, just want to share that wit my LGM family.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 12:21:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing you experience T...and don't get mad, I don't dissagree with what you said. I am just saying that I understand what some of these other folks are saying as well.  God bless and keep on keepin on my brutha. ;)
Strike while the iron is hot!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up