LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building A Good Drum Solo....  (Read 563 times)

cj_keyboard_playa

Building A Good Drum Solo....
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:42:18 PM »
Wassup LGM Drummers, if any of yall no me i dont really come in here much so  i dont if this has been posted or discussed before but i wanna ask yall..

"What are the roots and good concepts of a good drum solo"?

I just wanna no from yall ur imputs and ides.....

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: Building A Good Drum Solo....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »
If it is a solo done with in a song then it should be built upon and refer to the melody of the song and should keep that as a constant motif. It should have a structure to it and tell a story if it is say 8 bars or longer. 2-4 bars should be phrases that interact with the other musicians. Solos are conversations or speeches they are not a lick fest.

A solo is only as good as your vocabulary on the musical subject at hand. If you are in the middle of a 6/8 song then the vocabulary of your solo should be in accordance to 6/8 and 12/8 structure and be triplet based and build on polyrhythms.

You should kept constant and consistant time throughout the solo even if it is implied throughthe rhythmic phrasing. Nothing worse than talking to someone whom asks as if they are "high"... Meaning your playing should not be spastic in the time/cadence.

Music and drumming is about communication. If you are not articulate then don't take a solo because you have nothing meaningful to say "musically" and it will show.   

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline poet7890

• LGM Member
  • Gift from the Lord
    • Drumming For Life

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:06:18 AM »
Sabian hit the nail on the head.
Let My Hands Do The Talkin

cj_keyboard_playa

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:02:37 PM »
THANKS SABIAN!!