LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your practice routine?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline RobT

• LGM Member
    • http://

What's your practice routine?
« on: July 16, 2003, 08:01:43 AM »
Having a wife, kids and a full time job is hard enough. But when trying to make some advances in your musical skills is even more difficult. I'd like to know what some of you good folks practice routines are.

1) How many days a week do you practice?
2) How many hours a day?
3) What do you practice?
4) What did you find to kickstart your learning?

Thanks

RobT
RobT

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:53:31 AM »
I'm in the same situation you're in, but I still get 16-24 hours a week of practice. I don't get to practice everyday.

I practice scales mostly now. Other than that, I just play along with my cds. If I hear a chord placement that I have heardn't before, then I'll study it within the progression to see how it fits in.

Depending on your level of skill, you may not practice like this, or you may practice different things.

Hope this helps....

Offline RobT

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 09:48:02 AM »
Quote from: B3Wannabe
I'm in the same situation you're in, but I still get 16-24 hours a week of practice. I don't get to practice everyday.

I practice scales mostly now. Other than that, I just play along with my cds. If I hear a chord placement that I have heard before, then I'll study it within the progression to see how it fits in.

Depending on your level of skill, you may not practice like this, or you may practice different things.

Hope this helps....

Thanks B3Wannabe. I'm lucky if I get that much practice a week. I'm getting around 10 hours or less a week. Are there any books or methods in particular that you use? BTW - I'm a former Detroiter too! So consider this a Shout Out!!!
RobT

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 10:27:41 AM »
I have all kinds of books, mostly theory, jazz, or sheet music though. I pick up one, every now and then, and go pver the material within it. Other than that, it's like I said before.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: What's your practice routine?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 10:39:30 AM »
Quote from: RobT
Having a wife, kids and a full time job is hard enough. But when trying to make some advances in your musical skills is even more difficult. I'd like to know what some of you good folks practice routines are.

1) How many days a week do you practice?
2) How many hours a day?
3) What do you practice?
4) What did you find to kickstart your learning?

Thanks

RobT

Like you Rob T I too have a family. Although I'm home all day, I have so many other projects to work on that I don't have the time to practice. I usually don't get around to practicing until night when the kids are asleep. I try to take at lease 2 hours a day. I practice about 4-5 days a week.

I practice scales, than I work on sightreading by playing a song from a hymnal. After that I began to work on whatever contemporary song I am trying to learn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up