LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: new choir with 3 major problems.....  (Read 3888 times)

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

new choir with 3 major problems.....
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:16:12 PM »
1. cannot harmonize well(mainly the alto's)
2. they learn a song on saturday, forget their keys on sunday
3. Dont have a "strong" organ/keybord player(Im still learning)

What are some songs that would be good for working on these problems? as I said earlier, Im still learning the keyboard. I usually play bass but it can carry the entire song.
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

Re: new choir with 3 major problems.....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 12:14:15 AM »
Blame the musicians ;D

Offline 1voice

• LGM Member
  • Home.....

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:49:12 AM »
wow,look for some accapello's....

hide behind the mountain
lilly in the valley
blessed assurance(think i spelled that wrong)

Or some nice old easy hymns,that you can really start picking out the parts until everyone learns how each other sings.So that each section can start to feel each other's range,and each section learns how to sing together.And you may need to appoint section leaders.

Like i told my wife recently,it's harder to sing in a section together,than it is to just go free,singing in your own key.

When i sing in my male chorus,i sing high tenor,but then theres a kid who sings higher than me,on my right,but then the guy to my left sings true tenor and we make a three part harmony,before you even get to the baritones,and the basses. it sounds great. But when i sing in my wifes chior,i stick to one key,whith the rest of the tenors,yea as a group,and that seems to be harder to me,cause i'm a,ways hearing that extra note to make that harmony.

thats my testimony,lol, see what you get brother. Pray,he'll work it out...
Let your voice, be one voice, to Glorify the Lord.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:00:32 AM »
1. cannot harmonize well(mainly the alto's)
2. they learn a song on saturday, forget their keys on sunday
3. Dont have a "strong" organ/keybord player(Im still learning)

What are some songs that would be good for working on these problems? as I said earlier, Im still learning the keyboard. I usually play bass but it can carry the entire song.

To address number two.....stop doing that. Don't expect them to learn a song the day before and then minister the song on Sunday. That doesn't work well. Folks have to get a song into their spirit before they can sing and minister to a congregation.

to address number one, work with the altos individually (meaning as a section) and use various hearing exercises to assist them with hearing their part.

As for three, just keep practicing and praying; it'll come in time.

Be Blessed.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Harmonicvoice

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:30:49 PM »

To address number two.....stop doing that. Don't expect them to learn a song the day before and then minister the song on Sunday. That doesn't work well. Folks have to get a song into their spirit before they can sing and minister to a congregation.

Great Point!!  ;D

Offline inhope

• LGM Member
    • http://www.hotgospel.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 04:30:22 PM »
If you get them to hum their parts its less to work on /lyrics require extra brain power try it it really will help x and pray for the Holy Spirit to fill the choir God Bless x

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »
blame the musicians

ES7Mike

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 10:09:54 PM »

To address number two.....stop doing that. Don't expect them to learn a song the day before and then minister the song on Sunday. That doesn't work well. Folks have to get a song into their spirit before they can sing and minister to a congregation

Respectfully I disagree because I've seen the choir at my former church do this and when they ministered the song the anointing would fall.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 10:08:35 AM »
Respectfully I disagree because I've seen the choir at my former church do this and when they ministered the song the anointing would fall.

There are exceptions to the rule, but in general I think a choir should not be expected to learn a new song in one practice and then minister it the following Sunday. My rule of thumb is two rehearsals on one song minimum.

Offline Benjamin1011

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 02:08:48 PM »
There are exceptions to the rule, but in general I think a choir should not be expected to learn a new song in one practice and then minister it the following Sunday. My rule of thumb is two rehearsals on one song minimum.

Amen to that!!! When working with a choir made up of non singers it is best to have them practice the music they are going to sing Sunday two weeks before. It has always worked for me.
"I press toward the mark for the prize..." Phil 3:14

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 02:10:19 PM »
blame the musicians

hahahahah....we heard you the first time :D :D :D
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 09:59:37 PM »
hahahahah....we heard you the first time :D :D :D

i figured someone saw it the first time but no one is following church protocol if a singer/singers/choir etc......sings badly your suppose to play the "blame the musicians" Card!

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 10:10:11 PM »

i figured someone saw it the first time but no one is following church protocol if a singer/singers/choir etc......sings badly your suppose to play the "blame the musicians" Card!

You are definitely RIGHT about that
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline bigboinc1

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 08:49:13 PM »
aight now musiq, you betta go on be4 u start sumthin up in here.  haha  im jokin.   but you are totally right
chyeaa baby, reppin tha lord in tha highest way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 08:28:03 PM »
My guys are so new that it usually takes a month (sometimes more) to teach them the song, even ones with simple harmonies, so I try to pick songs with mostly unison parts. It's mostly because they're of a different culture. I think when you're working with a choir, you have to look at the level of people that you have. It's not good to teach a new choir Tye Tribbett or James Hall songs, even if they WANT to sing them!

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 11:00:30 AM »
B3 you absolutely right. It's like they want to learn songs that we either dont have the music for or the voices for. Not only that, I believe that at least 4 people in the choir shouldnt be in it. But we have a relatively small congregation so you know how that goes.

But  for all yall that wanna "blame the musicians", I cant do it all by myself. I try to get people to learn instruments but no one wants to. They always say Im talented and all that but I just picked up each instrument one day and started to practice. when I bought this cheap keyboard from walmart, I didnt know anything. But I practiced and prayed and I can truly see some progress. Thats actually how I came across this website. I was looking for any helpful gospel websites and lo and behold, LGM.

I hate to sound cocky but I dont really think there are too many people in there that have the mind to learn a musician. Either that or everybody just wanna learn the drums. Man, can someone pick up a bass or keyboard? Im to the point where if the Lord sends in a good bassist, I'll concentrate strictly on the keyboard, and vice versa.(although the bass is my first love)
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 11:24:28 AM »
B3 you absolutely right. It's like they want to learn songs that we either dont have the music for or the voices for. Not only that, I believe that at least 4 people in the choir shouldnt be in it. But we have a relatively small congregation so you know how that goes.

But  for all yall that wanna "blame the musicians", I cant do it all by myself. I try to get people to learn instruments but no one wants to. They always say Im talented and all that but I just picked up each instrument one day and started to practice. when I bought this cheap keyboard from walmart, I didnt know anything. But I practiced and prayed and I can truly see some progress. Thats actually how I came across this website. I was looking for any helpful gospel websites and lo and behold, LGM.

I hate to sound cocky but I dont really think there are too many people in there that have the mind to learn a musician. Either that or everybody just wanna learn the drums. Man, can someone pick up a bass or keyboard? Im to the point where if the Lord sends in a good bassist, I'll concentrate strictly on the keyboard, and vice versa.(although the bass is my first love)

i want it to be clear i dont sing im an organist/keyboardist so "blame the musicians" is just for fun

Offline calm05

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »

to address number one, work with the altos individually (meaning as a section) and use various hearing exercises to assist them with hearing their part.

As for three, just keep practicing and praying; it'll come in time.

Be Blessed.
[/color]

U have summed it up sjonathan02.  I agree with U 100%.

Practice                      Practice              Practice               Practice
 ;)

Offline Lilfingers

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 12:40:36 PM »
I have been where you are:  Ask the choir for some songs (simple) that they may want to sing-----I  found out that if they really want to sing it, they'll want to learn their parts and keep them----also, have members to bring tape recorders---have them to tape their parts and rehearse days before practice and before Sunday service---have sections practice---practice only one group at a time--or have a strong leader in that group to go over their parts while you or someone else work on something else.  Some songs are -----God Is in This Place, Pass Me Not (fast version) Say the Word

Just be patience!
Hope this helps---

By the by, we have good musicians----the members are new and have never sung in a choir before---can't always blame the musicians
I'm playing for God's Glory--not man's. LILFINGERS

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 11:01:17 PM »
Try using some of the "Old 100's" Hymns.  They are well known and if the choir forgets their note, the unison is easy to find and well covered.  Just take some good hymns or older sons such as Glory Glory Hallelujah and creat simple harmonies for the choir.
"Stay Fly, Stay Fresh, God Bless"
Dameron Growe
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up