LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical Sax questions for the tenor player  (Read 1546 times)

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

Technical Sax questions for the tenor player
« on: June 23, 2006, 11:34:06 PM »
What kind of  moutpiece and reed number are you using?

For example I use an Otto Link Super Tone Master 5* and Van Doren V16 #3 reeds.

How long do you soak your reeds?

Do you have difficulty with G3 (altissimo G) like most players?  What fingerings do you use for G3; Different horns require a different fingering for G3. Altissimo A is quite easy.

When I play gospel sax I try not to add too many extra embellishments as is typical of jazz. We must remember we're playing for Christ and not entertaining as secular players do with jazz.

Offline redtenorsax

• LGM Member

Re: Technical Sax questions for the tenor player
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »
I use a Dukoff with an open face a D9  or D8 if I can get it, if you couple that with a Rovner (soft leather/nylon) ligature, it gives a big tone that's not too brite and not too dark.

I used to use Rico Jazz 3 hard files, but I have recently switched to Vandorens

I don't soak my reads or clip them.  But my boy used to soak his 3 days

I still get trouble with tuning that altissimo G, on Tenor.  It really depends on the horn.  go to a web site for an easier fingering, just google it.  there are about 3 you can use.  and always check your pitch on the lower G.

Don't worry about  embelishing, that's what you are there fore.  I started off accompanying my dad, who plays trumpet.  He was always the lead, so I learned to harmonize very well, and make a frame around him.  Now I can accompany any singer, chior, or horn player and embellish without getting in the way. Plus most sax players (unlike myself) are soft players, so they really don't have to worry about being in the way.  Play as many jazz/blues licks as you want, just make them go with the conversation of the piece.  There are only 2 classifications of music.... Good and BAD (sounding that is) -Duke Ellington.
1. Avoid the melody
2. play simpler lines with longer tones, or emphatic short statements
3. Get louder and softer with the music.
4. Know the holes in the piece where a short quick figure may fit well, and hit it hard, and shut up.
Do just like the sax player in Smokie Norful's "I need you now"

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 10:53:28 PM »
Welcome to LGM  redtenorsax
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:34:30 AM »
My Tenor rig:  Selmer MkVII, Dave Guardala "Super King" Mouthpiece, I use Vandoran V16 reeds (2.5)

You are the icing that sits on top of the musical cake.  The only exceptions to that rule are when there is more than one sax, OR you are told that you are a part of the section.  Another good time to keep things low key are during solemn, traditional hymns.  I tends to back off and play a secondary role. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up