LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck in a Rut!!! Need Help Desperately!!!  (Read 2365 times)

Offline tanyasparks

• LGM Member

Stuck in a Rut!!! Need Help Desperately!!!
« on: July 14, 2003, 12:23:07 PM »
Hey all,

I'm new here.  I just joined today as a matter of fact.  I have been playing piano for about 3 yrs.  I read treble clef with my rihgt hand and play chords with my left hand.  I only know the basic chords.  For example for the key of "C"  I only know C, Cm, C7.  I know that sounds pitiful.  I'm just leaning some new things recently.  The problem I have is this awful pattern that I have developed with my left hand.  I play the same pattern in evey song.  It makes for some boring church music let me tell you.  The patter is as follows.  Say for amazing grace in 3/4 timing.  With my left hand I only play the chords in this patter.  For G,  I play  G,B,D  one note at a time for each beat.  For a 4/4 song I would play G,B,D,B  on every beat.  I want to learn some new patterns for my left hand.  Sorry if this is long and confusing but I desperate.  I don't know what else to do.  PLEASE HELP ME!!!  

Thanks in advance for any advice.

tanyasparks

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 01:59:45 PM »
Seems you already know what the problem is, so I'd take a just-do-it approach. Just start playing chords with your left hand instead of breaking it up. This is a whole lot easier than it seems.

On piano, I chord with both hands, moving my left hand around the bass. For you, since you seem to be on the beginner level, theory-wise, just use the chords you know. They can do more than you think they can. Also, try playing lighter chords with your right hand, until you get the left hand down, using just two notes or the melody. This will give you a jazzier sound, especially if the left hand is playing two or more notes with the right hand.

Buy some books on piano jazz chords. If you don't know the scales and progressions numerically, learn it. This will help you understand those books. Everything else is built on what you know already, so look at your situtation this what: "I'm poised to become a great musician, all I need is practice". Do those things. Analyze your hands when you play something that sounds new to you. You'll start to see patterns. Practice religiously, at LEAST 2.5 hours a day, everyday, and you should see this goal sooner than you think.

I don't practice everyday now, but I usually get in 16-24 hours by the end of the week. Stick around, let me know your progress. Try asking more "why" or "how" questions, instead of the "can I have" questions that are usually posted here. ;)

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

i couldnt agree more!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 05:46:57 PM »
you sound as aggrevated as i am when you are trying to help someone! seem like people dont really want to learn they just want to play! i can almost hear the tention in your voice through your writing! keep up the good advice and someome somebody will be blessed!!!!!!!!!!
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 06:01:15 PM »
There's no tension. I'm not agravated at all. I just believe in the teach-a-man-to-fish rule. If you feed someone, you'll always have to feed them. I don't think that there are any disabled people on here, and what I mean by disabled, is people that aren't able to learn. If everyone on here is capable of learning, then they aren't disable, when it comes to what we're doing here.

Only time I get bothered, and it's just more of a concern then, is when someone else, the asker, gets upset with the answer. Those people need prayer. Everyone on here needs prayer for one thing or another.

Not let me stop, because I can make this into a totally different topic.

:lol:

Hope this helps....

Offline tanyasparks

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 08:12:34 PM »
thankyou for your replies.  I just want to play the best I can for the Lord.  I do practice.  I think too much sometimes.  I'm just stuck.  I'm getting to the point that when I play I'm more aggrivated with myself than anything else.  I'm trying to learn.  I have been reading everything that I possibly can about chords and things but they seem to all be going over my head.  I will keep trying.  All I have is time.  It just gets frustrating sometimes when you get in a rut and you don't feel like you are moving forward.  I am constantly wanting to learn more.  I just hunger for it.  So I will keep practiceing and see what I get.  HOW do you play chords with your left hand and not break them up?  

Thanks,
tanyasparks

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 01:22:40 AM »
Just use all your fingers at the same time. ;)

Really though, if you're serious, I suggest fasting and praying. If you need someone to fast with you, let me know.

Offline johncomo

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 01:06:27 PM »
Quote from: tanyasparks
thankyou for your replies.  I just want to play the best I can for the Lord.  I do practice.  I think too much sometimes.  I'm just stuck.  I'm getting to the point that when I play I'm more aggrivated with myself than anything else.  I'm trying to learn.  I have been reading everything that I possibly can about chords and things but they seem to all be going over my head.  I will keep trying.  All I have is time.  It just gets frustrating sometimes when you get in a rut and you don't feel like you are moving forward.  I am constantly wanting to learn more.  I just hunger for it.  So I will keep practiceing and see what I get.  HOW do you play chords with your left hand and not break them up?  

Thanks,
tanyasparks

tanyasparks, JUST HANG IN THERE. FOR ME, I AM NOT OUT OF THE WOODS YET, AND THERE COMES A TIME WHEN YOU LEARN SOME GOOD STUFF AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU COME TO A STANDSTILL. IT HAPPENS, BUT YOU HAVE TO JUST KEEP THE DRIVE AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN, THINGS WILL START MAKING SENSE AND YOU WILL HAVE COME UP ANOTHER LEVEL. KEEP READING AL THESE POSTINGS BECAUSE THEY PROVIDE VALUABLE INFORMATION. JUST AS I HAVE ON THE PREVIOUS SITE OF "NOT MY WILL BUT THY WILL" I ASK GOD TO BLESS ALL OF YOU WHO HELP THE STARVING MUSICIANS GET ON TRACK. PRACTICE IS A MUST.

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 07:10:49 PM »
Quote from: johncomo

tanyasparks, JUST HANG IN THERE. FOR ME, I AM NOT OUT OF THE WOODS YET, AND THERE COMES A TIME WHEN YOU LEARN SOME GOOD STUFF AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU COME TO A STANDSTILL. IT HAPPENS, BUT YOU HAVE TO JUST KEEP THE DRIVE AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN, THINGS WILL START MAKING SENSE AND YOU WILL HAVE COME UP ANOTHER LEVEL. KEEP READING AL THESE POSTINGS BECAUSE THEY PROVIDE VALUABLE INFORMATION. JUST AS I HAVE ON THE PREVIOUS SITE OF "NOT MY WILL BUT THY WILL" I ASK GOD TO BLESS ALL OF YOU WHO HELP THE STARVING MUSICIANS GET ON TRACK. PRACTICE IS A MUST.

That's great advice for everyone to adhere to to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up