LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about The African American Heritage Hymnal  (Read 6199 times)

Offline jenniferchanya

• LGM Member
    • http://

Question about The African American Heritage Hymnal
« on: July 07, 2003, 01:11:55 PM »
Hi,

To anyone who owns the African American Heritage Hymnal or have at least seen it:

I'm thinking about purchasing the hymnbook for $14 online.  There is also an accompaniment edition for $55.  My question is Can I get by with just buying the hymnbook and still be able to play nice piano chords to the songs or would it be better to just buy the accompaniment edition?  I'd like to hear any feedback any of you might have!

Thanks a bunch,

Jennifer

DaNatiMaestro

That's funny
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 03:49:07 PM »
I just bought that hymnal about 2 weeks ago and I played Great is Thy Faithfulness at church yesterday on the piano and tore it up!!  My church is real old school so for them to hear that with the chords I was playing they really felt it in their spirit.  This week I'm tackling Blessed Assurance.  

It's been the best $14.00 I've spent musically and I've bought every song book out.. okay the complete Kirk Franklin collection song book comes in a close second.

But here is my thought on the accompanyment book.  I haven't seen it but if tells you the guitar chords/tabs like a jazz fake book or like the other gospel songbooks out there.. I'd pick it up as well.  The hymnal has just the "regular" chords (like on the scale) there are some other chords thrown in there but for the most part it's sticking to 1-4-5-1 or whatever.. for any fill in or turnaround you have to use your creativity!

I have no idea if I answered your question..lol

I'm out...

DaNatiMaestro

Offline jenniferchanya

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 10:51:39 PM »
DaNatiMaestro,

Thank you so much for your reply to my question.  I think I will just buy the hymnbook because I'm old school too..lol!  And then if I think the chords are too basic or can't come up with my own flava to add to it..then I will buy the accompaniment edition.  I know I won't be sorry.  Take care and God bless!

Thanks again,

Jennifer

Offline mary

• LGM Member

African American Hymnal
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 10:47:53 AM »
I have a copy of this book also... The African American churches has strayed away from their roots... and every thing is jazzed up!... but do you know that the older christians - 50+ cannot keep up with the words of the fast music that is played today... and forget about the rapping gospels...so do your self and God a favor... play the chords that are in the book.   Just think if you wrote a song... and someone else changed it!  Would you be upset?  I am 63 and love to hear the hymns... (Put your gospel touch to the last chorus)  and see the spirit of God flow through the seasoned christians...

Offline jenniferchanya

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 12:41:38 PM »
Thanks Mary for your reply.  It is true that many of the African American churches have strayed away from their roots.  My church definitely isn't one of them.  We are just a small congregation of about 8 to 10 people.  When I said that I would add my own flava to to the basic chords, I meant that I would just add notes to give the song more depth..not speed it up and change the song entirely.  We don't even sing rap gospels in my church.  I'm not that advanced as a player anyway.  But I do like to sometimes take a simple hymn and put "me" into it.  It just makes the song unique and every piano player is different and unique in their own way. But, I haven't even seen the book yet.  Until I order it for myself and see..I really don't know what I will or will not add to the songs. Take care and God bless!

Jennifer

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

Re: Question about The African American Heritage Hymnal
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 01:50:28 PM »
Quote from: jenniferchanya
Hi,

To anyone who owns the African American Heritage Hymnal or have at least seen it:

I'm thinking about purchasing the hymnbook for $14 online.  There is also an accompaniment edition for $55.  My question is Can I get by with just buying the hymnbook and still be able to play nice piano chords to the songs or would it be better to just buy the accompaniment edition?  I'd like to hear any feedback any of you might have!

Thanks a bunch,

Jennifer

I have it, it's a great hymnal to add to any musician's collection. My old church's MoM bought one for everyone on the music staff. It has many hymns in it along with a few new classics such as, "Total Praise"and "Why We Sing", and many other songs. What also makes this a good hymnal to have like DaNatiMaestro said, is that many of the songs have fillers in it unlike in a standard hymnal. I've seen the accompaniment edition, and from what I saw, there are 2 volumes that sell for around $50 each, that's too steep for me and I'd rather have the regular hymnal, it's not as big as the accompaniment editions and just overall better. Other hymnals you should invest in are United Methodist Hymnal, C.O.G.I.C. hymnal, National Baptist hymnal, and Songs of Zion .

Offline rafman1718

• LGM Member

I have the New National Baptist Hymnal
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 03:00:06 PM »
Is the New National Baptist Hymnal anything like the African American Heritage Hymnal?
You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart!

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

Re: I have the New National Baptist Hymnal
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 03:25:42 PM »
Quote from: rafman1718
Is the New National Baptist Hymnal anything like the African American Heritage Hymnal?

No, The revised National Baptist Hymnal has all the hymnals in it, with a few new songs in the back of it that are becoming standards in the church. It's a good hymnal, but The African American Hymnal is better, it has "Victory Is Mine", "Can't Nobody", "Welcome Into This Place" , "Perfect Praise" and many others. Like the guy on Reading Rainbow would say but you don't have to take my word for it..(lol...yeah I know corny, huh?), you can click on this link to see what songs are in it:

http://www.ntimemusic.com/African%20Heritage%20Hymnal%20-%20Table%20of%20Contents.htm

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/bronzeey1

Re: Question about The African American Heritage Hymnal
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 09:28:46 PM »
Hi,

Thanks a bunch,

Jennifer
      Where is this hym book at online Jennifer?

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

I...
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 10:05:58 PM »
I actually saw the Hymnal in my local book store but didn't get it because the line was to long. UUggghh.. :D  I wish I would have.  Anyways, I hopte to pick up one soon.
:)

Offline jenniferchanya

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 10:12:34 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I know I am going to order this hymnal and I'm going to do it tomorrow if it's the Lord's will.  

Bronzee,

I have seen this songbook at ntimemusic.com and at sheetmusicplus.com.  Personally I am going to order mine from sheetmusicplus because that is where I order all of my online music.  They have a money back guarantee and I like that.  If you copy and paste this link:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?sku=GI.G-5400&cart=32666944832459892&searchtitle=Sheet%20Music

you should be able to read about it at sheetmusicplus.  Take care and God bless!

Jennifer

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/bronzeey1

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 10:39:23 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I know I am going to order this hymnal and I'm going to do it tomorrow if it's the Lord's will.  

Bronzee,

I have seen this songbook at ntimemusic.com and at sheetmusicplus.com.  Personally I am going to order mine from sheetmusicplus because that is where I order all of my online music.  They have a money back guarantee and I like that.  If you copy and paste this link:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?sku=GI.G-5400&cart=32666944832459892&searchtitle=Sheet%20Music

you should be able to read about it at sheetmusicplus.  Take care and God bless!

Jennifer[/quote      Thanks...Jennifer..with blessings.

Offline jenniferchanya

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 03:04:36 PM »
I finally ordered the African American Heritage Hymnal yesterday, as well as Songs of Zion.  But I decided to order them from Amazon.com.  That was my first time ordering from them but I thought I'd give a try.  I just thought I would say that since in my last post I said that I was ordering it from sheetmusicplus.com.  Which, I would have if they would've had Songs of Zion, but enough of my rattling on.  Take care and God bless!

Jen

DaNatiMaestro

Amazon.com is good!!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 03:17:26 PM »
I finally ordered the African American Heritage Hymnal yesterday, as well as Songs of Zion.  But I decided to order them from Amazon.com.  That was my first time ordering from them but I thought I'd give a try.  I just thought I would say that since in my last post I said that I was ordering it from sheetmusicplus.com.  Which, I would have if they would've had Songs of Zion, but enough of my rattling on.  Take care and God bless!

Jen

Hey Jen I order stuff from Amazon.com all the time and I have yet to have a problem!!  I know you'll make great music with the hymnal.  Remember the hymnal is giving you the bones it's up to you to give it your own style and touch.  And remember in whatever and whenever and wherever you play make sure it's CLEAN.

I'm out....

DaNatiMaestro

Offline jenniferchanya

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 10:46:19 PM »
Hey everybody!

I received my hymnbook today from Amazon.  I have been playing out of that book all day.  I am more than satisfied with this hymnbook, it has songs in it that I have been wanting for a looong time.  I don't even have to add anything to the songs because they are beautiful just the way they are.  I can't wait to start playing the songs in church.  

Jennifer

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2003, 07:34:29 PM »
Hey everybody!

I received my hymnbook today from Amazon.  I have been playing out of that book all day.  I am more than satisfied with this hymnbook, it has songs in it that I have been wanting for a looong time.  I don't even have to add anything to the songs because they are beautiful just the way they are.  I can't wait to start playing the songs in church.  

Jennifer

Alright now...that's great to hear! I'm glad that we all could help you in your decision of purchasing the hymnal. It's a very good hymnal and hopefully other people on the board will be interested in purchasing it too after hearing your testimonial about it. Next step, learning how to play your favorite songs from there in every key...I'm still working on that myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up